Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 29-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Default Moss Mess

Hi guys, I recently redo my shrimp tank and sadly all my mosses (christmas/spiky/singapore) were all mess up. I simply pulled and everything that was bundled together came up. I guess I did not take good care of them.

There were plenty hair algae around and so I have to threw most of them away leaving some for me to tie onto wire mesh to restart of moss environment.

Problem is, I am not able to fully get rid of those unwanted moss/algae and as a result my moss tie onto wire mesh look terrible. I shall take a pcture and post soon.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Ok this is the picture of the mess.

Last edited by ymmij; 20-04-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 29-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
ymmij
Senior Dragon

This was what it looked like few weeks before.

Old 29-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
the_r0ck

Before you placed them on the meshes you should have soaked them in a very diluted bleach solution or a super strong Seachem Excel solution to clear up some of the algae. Dipping them in for around 5-10 minutes is good enough to weaken the algae.

You can get yamatos to try and clear them up but if you had used the solutions mentioned earlier then it will be much much easier.

For now if it is only hair algae then just get the yamatos to clear them up. Trim away heavily infected parts and treat with some Seachem Excel, it should do well. You do not need do overdose it. Dosing with the recommended dosage is enough.

-Calvin
Old 29-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Shad0w

if you think of using bleach, make sure to rinse it properly and soak it in anti clorine solution.
Old 29-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
uniphyte

Err.... one extreme way is to just get a few frond of moss and pick out the green hair algae. You may need magnifying glass for this task. Make sure it 100% free from algae then replant it on a new mesh to get new generation. I have been doing that for the past year to get algae free moss. But it time consuming... and the reward is refreshing.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Default Unwanted Unknown Moss - Advice Please

Hi bros, I was clearing up my moss mess and redoing my moss.

Within a time frame of maybe 2 weeks, something grow out from the moss that I tie. These hair/moss are vertical and grow long/tall and fast. Apparently they do not look anything like my original moss.

Does anyone know what are these or have come across them? They do not look like algae to me.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
the_r0ck

Hi, I merged the 2 threads since its the same issue.

Anyway you gotta take a closeup picture of the unknown 'thing' among your moss for us to ID.

I am guessing it is most probably algae but a picture will help us to be sure.

-Calvin
Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
ah_hong84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
Hi bros, I was clearing up my moss mess and redoing my moss.

Within a time frame of maybe 2 weeks, something grow out from the moss that I tie. These hair/moss are vertical and grow long/tall and fast. Apparently they do not look anything like my original moss.

Does anyone know what are these or have come across them? They do not look like algae to me.
Base on your photo, they look like Stringy Moss to me. But it will be better if you can take a closer pic of them.

Pic of Stringy Moss : http://www.aquamoss.net/Stringy-Moss/Stringy-Moss.htm
Old 02-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
Hi, I merged the 2 threads since its the same issue.

Anyway you gotta take a closeup picture of the unknown 'thing' among your moss for us to ID.

I am guessing it is most probably algae but a picture will help us to be sure.

-Calvin
Hi Calvin thanks for the effort. I have attached a better photo I hope. The photos were not taken too well.