Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 15-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
jianyongkun

Default newbie reporting to all shifus !

hi all shifus/bros/sis !
i went down to serangoon north after work today and bought the things i need to start a new tank !
its currently running with water from my main tank, will be cycling it for about a week before adding shrimps to it

pictures of my tank
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...lanted%20tank/

anyway, i need advice from all the shifus out there..
which type of shrimp is suitable for me to start with ?
and just another noob question, how do you guys cover the inlet of the hang on filters ? :/

thanks in advance !
Old 15-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
berber

yes you need to cover up the inlet of your HOF with a sponge. go to any lfs and get those corse sponges for inlet pipes.. you ask the uncle he will know! and if you do not have a chiller dont think about crs first! its good to start with cherrys, sakuras,fire red.. or yellow shrimps! make sure your tank is well cycled b4 you add any lifestock! another question what soil are you using?
post pics for you!

Last edited by berber; 15-10-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 15-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Koji™
Account Disabled

Look like a mixture of soil and corse black gravel. Most importantly is to mature your filter in there first.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
jianyongkun

thanks for the replies bros

i went bought a "Miracle Baby Super One Substrate Nutrients" as base and cover it with coarse black gravel..the pet mart person recommended me to do this

my tank is placed in a cool room, so water temp is constantly cool. so i "saved the money for chiller"

keep the comments coming in, be it +/- .. i wish to learn..
cheers !!
Old 16-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
berber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jianyongkun View Post
thanks for the replies bros

i went bought a "Miracle Baby Super One Substrate Nutrients" as base and cover it with coarse black gravel..the pet mart person recommended me to do this

my tank is placed in a cool room, so water temp is constantly cool. so i "saved the money for chiller"

keep the comments coming in, be it +/- .. i wish to learn..
cheers !!
wah!!! the subtrate name so long ah?? didnt hear it b4! hahah
how cool is your cool tempt????
Old 16-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
jianyongkun

[IMG][/IMG]

this is the substrate i bought

this afternoon i measure, was 26deg..when the sun was killing all the workers at construction site
Old 16-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
berber

Quote:
this is the substrate i bought

this afternoon i measure, was 26deg..when the sun was killing all the workers at construction site
bro you sure this soil is shrimp safe? looks like alot of ferts and high contents of other chemicle lea! maybe you should wait for all the shifu to reply.. i dont know this soil is safe anot!
Old 16-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
jianyongkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by berber View Post
bro you sure this soil is shrimp safe? looks like alot of ferts and high contents of other chemicle lea! maybe you should wait for all the shifu to reply.. i dont know this soil is safe anot!
wah ! was recommended by pet mart to use this. if cannot then i will have to make this tank into a planted tetra tank already
Old 16-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
berber

Quote:
wah ! was recommended by pet mart to use this. if cannot then i will have to make this tank into a planted tetra tank already
you got tell him you keeping shrimps???? cause this soil seem to be for planted tank lea... alot of fert! haha
Old 16-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
jianyongkun

yeah i did tell him..but i dont know he got catch it or not..cause its that china pet mart guy who helped me :x