Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 17-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #61
azon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
I think, why not go straight to the farm in vietnam, once you have the answer whether their young fish is wc or cb, we will then know, if there is indeed man-made or wild caught "VT"

Your good ray buddy, may hv already gone there and came back
If I didn't remember wrongly.. Cambodia very hard to export fishes out so whatever the fisherman caught gotta go by land and ship out from Vietnam..
azon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #62
shaunwcl
Dragon

Sharing an old thread I dig out

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...vietnam+tigers
shaunwcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #63
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwcl View Post
Read through 14pages of 2007 thread, talking about VT but not a single pix n not conclusive
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #64
kenza
Senior Dragon

Very old thread but thanks for sharing.
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #65
Luc
Senior Dragon

I took this from US forum. Someone translated from Japanese mag into English:
=================================================

I've been looking for this picture. Ming posted it some time ago. If you blow up the picture, you can see the text. In the upper left corner of the left page is Datnioides quadrifasciatus (now D. polota)/silver datnoid, particularly the southeast Asian mainland population. In the upper right corner of the left page is D. undecimradiatus/ thinbar datnoid or NTT (North Thailand tiger). In the lower left corner of the left page is D. microlepis / Indonesian datnoid or IT (Indo. tiger), specifically the Sumatra population/variant. In the lower right corner of the left page is the Borneo population/variant of D. microlepis. The highest fish on the right page is intended to depict the Chao Phraya basin population of D. pulcher/widebar datnoid, also known as the Siamese tiger (ST). The fish just below it is intended to be the Mekong basin population of D. pulcher, also known as Cambodian tiger (CT). The fish in the lower left corner of the right page is D. quadrifasciatus, specifically the population from the island of New Guinea, including both the Irian Jaya (Indonesian) side and the Papua New Guinea side. The fish in the lower right corner of the right page is D. campbelli/New Guinea datnoid, aka NGT. Hope this helps.
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #66
Luc
Senior Dragon

And i believe somebody have inter-marry them, with IT, chao phraya ST and Mekong CT into single pond.

To me, there are very very distinctive features of ST that many CT(or VT) doesnt have. The appearance of the whole fish...bars and colors are just diff
Old 17-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #67
shaunwcl
Dragon

Quote:
And i believe somebody have inter-marry them, with IT, chao phraya ST and Mekong CT into single pond.

To me, there are very very distinctive features of ST that many CT(or VT) doesnt have. The appearance of the whole fish...bars and colors are just diff
Hi bro, with the above, you bring in "CT" then "(or VT)". Do you mean that CT is also equals to VT?
shaunwcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #68
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwcl View Post
Hi bro, with the above, you bring in "CT" then "(or VT)". Do you mean that CT is also equals to VT?
Yes, in my own opinion. They are same.
You look at map of Vietnam, only a small part of Mekong river past through Viet. With so little being mentioned or recorded, I doubt its there is really such a sub-species
Old 17-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #69
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:

Bro, possible to illustrate with pix what's the prominent features that ST have from VT or CT?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #70
kenza
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Bro, possible to illustrate with pix what's the prominent features that ST have from VT or CT?
Good question and discussion. Am keen to learn too. Till now can see much diff between CT, VT and ST.
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote