Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #51
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by channabarca View Post
Perfect ! As I think N. hexagonolepis available in SG are ALL from India which is known locally there as KATLI. Reported to grow as big as 60 cm though doubtful as the largest I've heard fishermen claim they caught was around 40 cm.
I wish to differ. This species that is available in Singapore are NOT ALL from india and is an extremely common fish in Malaysia and Indonesia other than India.

It is known by the common name of Tenga in Malaysia. Check around LFS you will know they identify this fish by this common name. A native fish of Malaysia rivers. Very often sold as 'Red Kelah' - buyers beware.

Old 14-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #52
channabarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
Wrong interpretation of my sentence. Hypselobarbus thomassi is a known mis-identified species as red kelah. This thread aims to help everyone in doubt on Mahseers not discussion discussion as our historically long thread suggests. Appreciate you could help start another interesting thread on Hypselobarbus thomassi as this genus is vastly diferent from our popularly known 'kelah' in its physical characteristics to common hobbyist
You were not very implicit in your earlier posting and I misunderstood your eagerness for continuation of other fish often missold as Mahseer and hence the insertion of Hyps discussion. Since you have been very blunt about it is absolutely NO problem for me to even continue my input in this thread for Mahseer even. SG does not necessarily have to be the Capitol of Mahseer keepers.

Old 14-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #53
channabarca

Quote:
I wish to differ. This species that is available in Singapore are NOT ALL from india and is an extremely common fish in Malaysia and Indonesia other than India.

It is known by the common name of Tenga in Malaysia. Check around LFS you will know they identify this fish by this common name. A native fish of Malaysia rivers. Very often sold as 'Red Kelah' - buyers beware.
Maybeso and I do not contest it's range of distribution. FYI, I am very much closely linked with leading importers in SG and I know Indian N. hexagonolepis are far cheaper to import air freight and all than what you can access by driving over the border. SG wants to see BIGGER profits

Old 14-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #54
chedra

Neolissochilus spp. [tengahs] are widely distributed in streams and waterfalls in Southeast Asia. Unfortunately only the blue fin one from Chaophraya, Mekong and Maeklong drainages in Thailand are probably assigned to correct scientific name, Neolissochilus stracheyi... Other species may have been described already but without comparision with the original description and/or type specimens it is hard to know who is actually who...

Old 14-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #55
CM09

Quote:
Originally Posted by byongify View Post
hehe thanks,brow..,i think i have same case with you.,i have 3 juvenilles at 6 inch.the character of these fishes make me confused to
...btw when you first got these fish(third picture), what size on it?????

whether ,the character of your fish (when it was small) is very similiar to thai blue(Neolissocheilus stracheyi) ???.
just little bit defference.at snout shape and darker base color...maybe you still have a pict of it ,when it was juvenille...just for comparison ,,,
i will, up load my pict to,,soon
I got my biggest blue one just about 4 months ago when it was already about 11". And for the rest smaller 3, I got them about an year ago when they were about 4-5", they're now about from 8-10". I don't think that they're N. stracheyi as their snout are much sharper.

Here's an old pic of 1 of the three:

Old 14-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #56
hallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM09 View Post
I got my biggest blue one just about 4 months ago when it was already about 11". And for the rest smaller 3, I got them about an year ago when they were about 4-5", they're now about from 8-10". I don't think that they're N. stracheyi as their snout are much sharper.

Hey bro.... what is in the back one ? is it bangana behri ?

Old 14-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #57
CM09

Quote:
This should be a Neolissochilus hexagonolepis. Common name Tenga or Green Kelah. Dark copper colour mostly. Some have a very dark maroon colouration on fins, commonly mis-identified by LFS as red kelah as well. LFS spotted with mis-identification - Seaview.

Key Characteristics: A looping upper lip covering the lower lip. Adult speciments have dark greenish tint on the bottom side of the lower lip.
Due to different base colouration and shape of the snout, so I don't think they're Neolissochilus hexagonolepis. They have golden orange base colour and have a bit more round on their upper lips' shape while the N. hexagonolepis has an eagle's shape, also their head seem to be bigger than the N. hexagonolepis as well.

For comparison, here's my about 7" N. hexagonolepis:

Or check the difference in this vid.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 15-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #58
byongify

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM09 View Post

here's, some pics, i mentioned in my earlier post, I don't think that they're N. stracheyi to, i also attach a picture(second picture) for comparison with N. stracheyi..n they are litle bit different....look at the snout,scale,n base color....and i think , maybe my fish is the same kind fish, with the biggest blue mahseer of yours..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3474.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	261147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	261148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3521.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	261149  

Old 15-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #59
chedra

At least they are Neolissochilus = tengah. Should be stracheyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byongify View Post
here's, some pics, i mentioned in my earlier post, I don't think that they're N. stracheyi to, i also attach a picture(second picture) for comparison with N. stracheyi..n they are litle bit different....look at the snout,scale,n base color....and i think , maybe my fish is the same kind fish, with the biggest blue mahseer of yours..

Old 15-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #60
byongify

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedra View Post
At least they are Neolissochilus = tengah. Should be stracheyi.
hehe.. iam blank for while....I can not exactly sure....they are included in genus tor or Neolissochilus...
because for me the characteristics of these fish are a combination of genus tor and genus Neolissochilus , especially n starcheyi.
might be more obvious if you watch the video mr cmo9 on youtube(link is available at his last post).I also commented on the video..
pliss watch at timecode 0:12.
whether it is possible that fish, same kind as mine??

Closed Thread