Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Default SIAMESE TiGERS- s o u r c e s?

There has been quite an interesting discussion on WHERE the revered STs/Datnoids have come from....

did some searches....
heard some 'hearsay'....
observed some comments.....

let's discuss & share what we know?

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...oldDatnoid.php
Quote:
Habitat: Distribution / Background

The Siamese Tiger Fish Datnioides microlepis (previously: Coius microlepis) was described by Bleeker in 1853. Currently there are six species in the Datnioides genus. This genus was revised from Datnioides to Coius and the family Coiidae by Roberts and Kottelat in 1994. Kottelat again revised the genus In 2000 to its current classification of Datnioides and the family Datnioididae. Other common names it is known by include Indonesian Tiger Fish, Finescale Tigerfish, Gold Datnoid, Gold Tiger Datnoid, Finescale Tigerfish, Yellow Tiger Fish, and Black Barred Tiger Fish.

This species is found on the Southeast mainland of Asia in the Mekong basin, the Chao Phraya river basin in the center of Thailand, the Musi basin in Sumatra, the Kapuas basin in western Borneo, and in Cambodia. The origin of this fish can be determined by the number of bars on the fish. Fish from Southeast Asia will normally have 5 bars and the ones from Borneo and Sumatra will usually have 6 to 7 bars.

These fish are not listed on the IUCN Red List, but may be endangered in many regions from capturing them for food fish and the aquarium industry. It is said to possibly be extinct in the Chao Pharya river basin in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_tigerfish
[updated as of Jan2013]

Quote:
In the wildThe Siamese Tiger originates from the Chao Phraya river basin in the center of Thailand. Unfortunately the fish is completely extinct in the wild. The last know sighting was over 5 years ago. The fish has been over fished for the aquarium trade and more extensively for the dinner plate. The Department of Fisheries in Thailand(DOF) has a captive breeding program, but success has been limited so far
so....
where else & how else....these golden babes reached our shores?

pls share what you know/ seen/ heard / think.....
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

1993 Study .. by Thai National AGRIS Centre (Thailand)

http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/se...l;TH2001000183

Quote:
Study on natural breeding of Siamese tigerfish, Datnioides microlepis Bleeker were experimented by stocking the broodstocks together in 5 cement pond, 4 square m in area and stocked the broodfishs about 6-11 fishs/pond, sex-ratio of Males:Females is about 2.2:1. The experimental period was 8 months. From this experiment resulted that the broodfishs were spawned on March and the eggs were embouyant egg. The diameter of eggs were 0.8 mm and hatching period within 15-17 hours. Yolksac of the larvae fishs was absorbed within 2-3 days. Nursing frys of the Siamese tigerfish by using hard boiled yolk eggs, Algae-200, Rotifer, Moina sp., small freshwater shrimps and fish's frys consequently. Results were, when the fingerlings were 4 months age, the total survival of the Siamese tigerfish's fingerling was 230 fishes, which had 4.39 c.m. 1.72 grams in average length and weight consequently.
wunder can get hands on the English document.......
Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

some... false alarms in AF
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=265702

http://www.fish-hub.com/forum/showth...des-Tiger-fish

Quote:
I believe we are all aware that historically no one have ever breed dats in captivity (not that I know of or documented) but a singaporean have ever encountered his 11" ST suddenly died one day without any reason at all. Curious, cut the belly and a saw 2 egg sacks full of tiny yellow eggs.

http://forums.waterwolves.com/lofive...p/t123927.html
from posts in 2008
Quote:
These tigers are produced from Mekong, Burma, Lao, and other parts of SE Asia. I can't tell them apart, can someone? Their tail patterns all indicating CT.
Chao Phraya Tiger fish (extinct, no more this name)= (Cambodian TF right now) = D pulcher = wide bar now it's all from Cambodia

Makong river = narrow bar = from my country and neirbor

we can separate both of this 2 kind by not only from mark on it's tail from " Jesse" pic is D pulcher it's dosen't matter in the break of their tail' mark. so read the following will make it better clear.

D.pulcher (wide bar) pics we can see that the black bar between yellow bar is seem to be equal. (almost of pulcher are look equaly in their mark)

while Makong (D. undecimradiatus) only this type (i call narrow bar) appear at here no more other type the black bak are narrow like it's name the yellow bar almost double size or more from black bar in pic 1

Some country like Jap still call Chao Phraya because it's look alike characteristic but 100% that all you guy have D pulcher right now is from Cambodian, in my country which origine no one have ever see the wide bar that collect in my country except the parent age 60 years old up that they have senn 40 year ago, but D. undecimradiatus (Makong) still exist
Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
fish2102
Arofanatic

Wow Towkay Shiok... nowdays i go which thread also see your name leh.. now somemore u post so cheem links... can translate to more simple ang moh bo?

Think must nominate you be MOD liao, you so siao on nowdays...
fish2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Red face

**OT a bit
handmade 3D TiGER keychain
http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/10...3D_design.html
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2102 View Post
... so siao on nowdays...
im always v on.... ONz til shiokshiok take MC lo
MOP i wan.... cos i nid it to mop once im done sweepg floor
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

after reading til i gourd POPeye....

... i gathered... 'extinct in the wild'

....captive breeding program 'unsuccessful' ....

....... then.. HOW do we get the STs & from W H E R E
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Rigil
Dragon

The First link that you shared! the Pic is a ST but some people would say its a 3 BAr IT because of its tail! Up Till now Alot still confused!
Rigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

3bar iT.... 1st bar got thicker than the behind one?

tail is not 100% way to iD st v it ... body shape la... bar patterns/thickness la....

anyway... thats another topic [which im clueless about as im a newbie]

this Thread is regarding the sources...where they are coming from.... which hole they popped out from... which rivers or ponds they cummm out from
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Yuna
Endangered Dragon

Eh. Is in iucn red list la
Search iucn red list under coius pulcher
Shd be there

www.iucnredlist.org/details/180969/0

Last edited by Yuna; 06-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote