Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 31-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
khorjames
Arofanatic

Default Why does arowana jump to inflict injuries on itself?

Hi bros,

i would like to find out from the aro experts among the bros on what's wrong with the aro. In a time frame of 2 months, the aro had jumped thrice against the braces of the fish tank (i think so), to cause abrasion on his spoon head. There was once two scales came off near his spoon head. He jumped again when i came back home just now. Just when the wound is healing, he has inflicted a new injury on the same spot on his spoon head again. What's wrong with the aro fish? Though this is nothing to be alarmed, i feel very sad when i see the state he is in. Any reason why he jumped to inflict injuries? What should be the preventive measure i should be taking? Thanks a lot in advance.
khorjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
Thiru12345

Suicide terrorist fish?

On a more serious side,Maybe your water parameters something wrong or he hungry?
Old 31-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
Martin
KKJ Inspector

maybe because of some kind of insect flying over
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
Spakase

For a number of reasons. Usually, fright. Every Arowana has an individual personality, IMO. I keep community tanks, and I see the different personalities at work.....

If your aro keeps jumping, you might want to observe the times he jumps and the incident leading to the jump. I don't think anyone can give an accurate answer to your question, because it's an individual thing. Just observe and find the real reason for your aro to jump.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #5
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

there r couple of possiblities..
water problem (ph), sudden movement (scare), insects (too hungry),...etc
gtohow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Aros Compagnie

if water parameters ok! try to on the light 24/7 for the time being n add black water. cheers!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
hatorihanzoe

Smile

most of the time my aro jump mainly of water problem and if i starve them long enough. their way of showing feed me.

on an added note, lowering water lvl would cause aro to jump more or less? i think less. or i am wrong and they jump more but at least they dont' get injured thats why i think they jump less. long as no injurry, they can jump to space for all i care, long as they come back down though
Old 03-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
aawcy
Senior Dragon

aro don't know what is pain only after they tried it out....even after they try it out, they forgot the pain and will keep trying to hurt themselves..IMO
aawcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Spakase

Quote:
So, in conclusion, i dont know how to bring down the ammonia level...
Quote:
one gd way to bring dwn and control ur ammonia level will be to build up ur biological system in ur tank.. try to add in more medias into ur filtration so as to build up ur BB in ur tank, and also do nt over feed... once ur tank is matured and the BB build up, it shldn;'t be a problem controlling ur ammonia level
You should not have any ammonia in your tank at all if your filtration is adequate, unless it is a new tank set up.
Good advice given above. Give more details of your setup & when established so that members can help.

Quote:
yup, mine in comm tank, when all jump is very frightening, I always look around when they do that in mass. Usually earthquake coming after that for my case
True, I experienced this before it should not be often as otherwise there is something really wrong that stresses the aros.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
aroben

What i experience is normally water problem, you are doing the right thing but there's always something need to be improve, like the filtration system.....cheers.....