Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 20-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #21
Dwight Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiromancer View Post
Yes. Money plants can grow without soil. I've seen some of the forumer's setups here before.. As long as the root reaches the water, it should be fine. A suggestion would be to use egg crates as the cover, put the money plant on top and let the roots submerge.
I will put down the idea of getting a denitrator first as not enough money to get it. As for the money plant, is it easily available in any plant store?
Old 20-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
garykueh
Arofanatic

Tried plants before, but improvement is un-noticable.
And the plant did not blend very well.

So, I am now using seachem prime. Works well for me.
garykueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
ranmaru1987
Dragon

im using pandan, 1 plant in each hole in the bracing.. total got 2..
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #24
sirwin81
Senior Dragon

have u checked ur nitrate level b4?
Looking at ur bioload, i will fear more on ammonia and nitrite instead of nitrate
compard to aro, rays produce even more waste.

Best way to reduce nitrate is thru wc unless u are the type that does not like to do wc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Howard View Post
Actually I also not sure if my bioload high or not. My filtration is one non-stackable ohf filled with cr and wool and one canister filled with cr biohomme plus and jap mat. Fishes keeping is 1 aro 1 ray and 1 tiger. Wc routine is 30% each week and I add nature earth once a week too. I just want to add some plants so that it can help to at least a bit reduce the nitrate level and also beautify the tank.
sirwin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykueh View Post
Tried plants before, but improvement is un-noticable.
And the plant did not blend very well.

So, I am now using seachem prime. Works well for me.
Type of plants and quantity of plants matter.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #26
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardric View Post
Excuse my ignorance. my understanding of the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates doesn't like oxygen & requires low water flow. can k1 moving media reduce nitrates? since the K1 moving media seems to create an opposite environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoqiang75 View Post
U are right bro k1 media only help to break down ammonia to nitrates. Nitrates don't like oxygen so using slow water flow in a denitrator help reduce oxygen level n denitrifying bacteria grow.
yes bro hardic and xiaoqiang, u r right. thanks for pointing out my mistake.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #27
steroiduser88

hi bro,

have u considered an algae scrubber? i am running an oversized algae scrubber (3x2ft~) on a 5x3x2.5ft tank stocked with 6 tigers 1 aro (18") and 2 matured rays and a 1.5ft congicius, 1ft PNT. i almost never WC. been running for about 1 year now. i only top up water. rays aro tigers all eating well and growing well. also rays always flying around the tank and doing chin ups very frequently.

i have TGY in the overflow but not doing well. also may want to try Seachem Purigen. as it removes the organics before the BB have a chance to decompose it to ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.
Old 21-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
I will put down the idea of getting a denitrator first as not enough money to get it. As for the money plant, is it easily available in any plant store?
Hmm.. not sure.. I know they grow quite easily.. see if your neighbours have? I'm getting pandan plant from my colleague.
Old 21-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
Dwight Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiromancer View Post
Hmm.. not sure.. I know they grow quite easily.. see if your neighbours have? I'm getting pandan plant from my colleague.
Pandan plant I have. My mother keeps a few just outside my house. So I take them and just put the roots on the water while the rest above water?
Old 21-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Pandan plant I have. My mother keeps a few just outside my house. So I take them and just put the roots on the water while the rest above water?
Ok.. I intend to put them in a floating basket in my tank.. what my colleague's husband does is to put the whole plant in the water.. haha.. and it's thriving..