Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
M&M
Arofanatic

Default Clown Loach Thread #7

Hi guys let's contiune our discussion here.

Need to ask seniors here whether having a sucker fish inside a clown loach tank is ok? As u guys mention pleco cannot withstand too much salt but clown loach very easy kena ick so I always put in some salt whenever I do WC. Currently I just got 2 normal black pleco inside my tank with about 20 clown loaches. Should I take out the pleco or just leave it there?
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
dinosor
Dragon

saw a tankful of active clown loaches at Wu hu ( opp tiong bahru market) and few pcs of big clown loaches. but stripes are the normal kind

over at havelock rd. that aquarium near the teochew porridge, they have quite a few pcs of 2 black lines and other unusual stripes. but unstable. gotta wait for sometime before buying.
dinosor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
ziw3i
Dragon

I think clown loach shld be fine without salt..
my tank is mixed with plecos and clown loaches, blue loaches..
so far so good
ziw3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
bennyliv
Dragon

Anyone has photo of the more special stripe CL? didn't really notice those before
bennyliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
bennyliv
Dragon

read about salt treatment from ich, anyone tried before?

As a treatment for ich and some other protozoa, the infested fish should be dipped in salt water at 30 ppt (or 3.0 ppm, which is the salinity of seawater), for 30 seconds up to several minutes, or until the fish rolls on its side. At that time, the fish should be placed back in its normal salinity water. To mix this solution, use tank water and dissolve in 30 teaspoons of salt per gallon, then place the fish into this water, monitoring it the entire time. This is then repeated once daily for three treatments, with a 30-70 % tank water change between treatments. This treatment is different from most of the others, in that it is used to treat the organisms in the skin of the fish, and not the free-living stages found in the fish tank. Lower doses may be used as a continuous bath in the fish tank. At 5-10 ppt (0.5-1.0 ppm), fish can survive for several hours to several days, and this will effectively kill the ich organisms. At 4-5 ppt (0.4-0.5 ppm), freshwater fish can live for up to four weeks, and this will also break the ich life cycle. A bath of 4-5 ppt will effectively kill anchorworms and lice. It must be noted that a salinity of 5 ppt or greater will usually kill live plants. One ppt= 1 tsp/gallon, three ppt=1 tbsp/gallon. One pound/100 gallon pond water.

ref from http://www.exoticpetvet.net/aqua/parasites.html

sounds interesting but scary.

Last edited by bennyliv; 10-01-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
M&M
Arofanatic

Hi guys just need to ask a question about. Will the black strip on the cl turn darker as time goes by? This is because I only love those with dark black strip however these few days I went to a few fls and most of them only have those cl with faded strips. So if I were to get them, will their black strip turn darker as they go older?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
honghonghonghon
Arofanatic

yeah their dark stripes will get darker when the clown loach gets more stable, mine used to be faded stripes when i first got them back, but all their stripes are dark dark now.
honghonghonghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
bennyliv
Dragon

Bro, you are right is better to buy those with dark strips as they are more stable and will be less stressful so better immune system and shorter time to adapt to their new home
Old 20-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
M&M
Arofanatic

Wa so quite these few days. Anyway need to ask a question about cl. Recently I notice my group of cl(about 20 of them) have been moving up n down the tank glass. Are they looking for more food or is there any other reasons? I've been feeding them twice daily so it so be more than enough. Any advices seniors?
Old 20-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
honghonghonghon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
Wa so quite these few days. Anyway need to ask a question about cl. Recently I notice my group of cl(about 20 of them) have been moving up n down the tank glass. Are they looking for more food or is there any other reasons? I've been feeding them twice daily so it so be more than enough. Any advices seniors?
my clown loaches do that too when i go near the tank, keeping swimming up n down the tank glass, think they are asking for food, i feed them twice daily too. shld nt be anything to worry about if ur water parameters are ok and fishes are not sick.
honghonghonghon is offline   Reply With Quote