Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 30-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Ningning
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I do agree with what Bro Cheetf said, that there are a lot of info on shrimp keeping that is very relevent for newbies to shrimp keeping. If one does a good search, 90% of the questions have been raised and in the sticky. In the early days of shrimp keeping in Singapore, eg 3yrs or more ago (i'm also quite an infant to shrimp hobby), such info are not readily available but today, most of these have been consolidated.

Ok, there may not be one sticky with the water perimeters for almost ANY Shrimp types. Let's look at it in this thread and if everyone tries to contribute good info, we can consolidate it and have it in the sticky too.

Let's look at pH and temperature by different species. Do correct me if I go wrong. Anyone with more accurate infor and more species to add, please feel free to correct me and to add to the list. Let's see if we can do a good table for all.

1. CRS
pH : 6.2 - 6.5 recommended
Temperature : higher grade may require lower temperature (eg 25 degrees or lower) while low grades like Grade A and lower are fine with higher temperature (eg 28 degrees)

2. Cherries
pH : Higher tolerance to pH variation. Can take up to above pH 7.0 or low as pH6.5
Temperature : Higher temperature is acceptable (eg 28 degrees)

3. Sulawasi
pH : Higher pH, above pH7 or 7.5
Temperature : Higher temperature (eg 28 degrees)

4. Less Common Breeds
4.1 BBB - Blue Brown Bee
pH : Said to tolerate higher pH than CRS (eg 6.8 or 7.0)
Temperature : Said to tolerate higher temperature than CRS

5. Exotic Breeds (this requires Bro Silane's input )
5.1 Black King Kong
5.2 Red Wine Shrimps

Higher temperature mentioned, refers mainly to Singapore's room temperature (which, on average, ranges from 26-30 degrees)
wow globalcookie...great thanks from a noobie here~

i also actually found a site whereby they posted their water parameters including wat to look out for, nitrate, kh and stuff and how to bring it down, in which produced offsprings.. but not nice to mention the site here.. *sheepish*
Ningning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningning View Post

besides with this stickie up, no one has to answer stupid questions like mine "can i put XX shrimp and YY shrimp" together and have the right to flame me if i do once there's such a manual for such things..

even dogs have this "excel" sheet...

any lao jiao's here can take on this task?
why would one want to put xxx shrimp with yyy shrimp? It seems to me only newbies want to do that, they want to demostrate their fish com skills into shrimps??

Of course u can put zzz and aaa shrimp together, the question is how long they can be together, 3 days, 3 months or 3 years?

Or you mean they will hybrid if to put them together, and that is a concern for you?

Or you dont know what you are asking????
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
It's all there in the link above given by bro gimkeat. Only thing is it is not tabulated.
Ok bro, I'll try to go there and read up a bit and update further. The thing is, not everyone reads multiple forums.

Next time, after updating the sticky with this info, and if pple come ask w/o doing a search, we ignore them.

Quote:
i also actually found a site whereby they posted their water parameters including wat to look out for, nitrate, kh and stuff and how to bring it down, in which produced offsprings.. but not nice to mention the site here.. *sheepish*
PM me the URL and I go do a readup when I'm free. After that, i kaypo a bit and try to update it in the sticky here as well.

Info on how to help shrimps start breeding again is something I like to know too.

You have to understand why some of us are rather 'impatient' with certain questions. It's repeated many times thus a sticky was done up so it helps new shrimp hobbyist have a common library of info to read up before posting unfound questions.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:

agree that if its possible to actually put on excel sheet optimum level and minimum max level of ph, temp and all these, there wont be a repeat of incidents of such that sulwaski and crs are put together when both required temp are lik heaven and earth... less death and more newbies will join in armed with a pro's experience.

I am very surprised to see blame no such list around and hence a newbie keep CRS and sulawesi together.

Ask yourself before keeping shrimps, where are they from, lake or creek or river, and which country. You will have an idea of what type of enviroment they are in.

And for comm crs and sulawesi shrimp, it is not the first time people failed, just do a search, they are at least 3 cases, that is not enough to warn people? Or need AVA to put post like educating people on responsbility of keep a rabbit or terrapine?

I can say, shrimps are too cheap here, shrimps are too easy accessible, people here will just buy and try, dont bother to find out more on how to keep them before buying them. When shrimps died, they requested for spoon feed info. If there is such info, shrimps will be as cheap as brine shrimps and wouldn't they subject to more mishandle??

It all voice down to shrimp price, if shrimps are price of like in Europe or America, see if anyone will keep them without bother to find out how to keep them. For case of Sulawesi, we are so forunate to get them cheaply and supply is abundant, desperate hobbyists from Europe and America wanted these shrimps so badly and they got cheated by an online shrimp site.
Old 30-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
wow globalcookie...great thanks from a noobie here~

ya, better dont anyhow post links here, I will thrash them if I found out those sites do not has real experience on breeding shrimps. From what I know, 2 sites, one of them is reseller sites, peaching keeping sula shrimp in ADA soil, and he got into so much problem, the sula shrimps already weaken and further pickle by acidic water, u can imagine what his client would get.

And another one, from someone I know, no real experience, infact, he was just good at killing shrimps, but claimed that he is breeding all sorts of shrimps and even claimed for have a "farm" and years of experience but I know he was not able to keep snow ball alive and almost wipe out the red tigers shrimp I past to him.

So becareful of what you are reading.... not alway formatted properly info means correct info.
Old 30-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
globalcookie
Dragon

Mods, do delete if I am not suppose to post info from Shrimpnow website.

Following info are a short summary extracted from Shrimpnow for the benefits of fellow shrimp hobbyist. I only extract info on shrimps that are more commonly discussed in AF.

1. Golden CRS
Water temperature: 20 - 26 °C
Water Parameters: pH 6.0 - 7.0

2.1. Black Tiger Shrimp
Water temperature: 21 to 26°C or 70 to 79°F
Water Parameters: pH 6.5 - 8,0

2.2 Tiger Shrimp
Water parameters: pH 6.8 to 7.5

3. Blue Tiger Shrimp
Water temperature: 15 - 27 °C or 59 - 81 °F
Water Parameters: pH 6.5 - 7.5

4. Snow Ball Shrimp
Water temperature: 18 - 28 °C or 64 - 82 °F

5. Yamato, Amano shrimp
Water temperature: 22 to 28°C or 72 to 82°F
Water parameters: pH 6.5 to 7.2

6. Red Cherry, Cherry Shrimp
Water temperature: 15 to 28°C or 59 to 82°F
Water parameters: pH 6.5 to 7.5

7. Bumble Bee aka Diamond Shrimp

8. Yellow Shrimp
Water temperature: 15 - 28 °C or 59 - 82 °F

9. Red Bee Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp
Water temperature: up to 28°C or 82°F
Old 30-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
3enson

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Mods, do delete if I am not suppose to post info from Shrimpnow website.

Following info are a short summary extracted from Shrimpnow for the benefits of fellow shrimp hobbyist. I only extract info on shrimps that are more commonly discussed in AF.

1. Golden CRS
Water temperature: 20 - 26 °C
Water Parameters: pH 6.0 - 7.0

2.1. Black Tiger Shrimp
Water Parameters: pH 6.5 - 8,0

2.2 Tiger Shrimp

3. Blue Tiger Shrimp
Water temperature: 15 - 27 °C or 59 - 81 °F

4. Snow Ball Shrimp
Water temperature: 18 - 28 °C or 64 - 82 °F

5. Yamato, Amano shrimp
Water temperature: 22 to 28°C or 72 to 82°F

6. Red Cherry, Cherry Shrimp
Water temperature: 15 to 28°C or 59 to 82°F
Water parameters: pH 6.5 to 7.5

7. Bumble Bee aka Diamond Shrimp

8. Yellow Shrimp
Water temperature: 15 - 28 °C or 59 - 82 °F

9. Red Bee Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp
Water temperature: up to 28°C or 82°F

Bro ur really helpful man... Thz for sharing with us...

Here is a place for us to post something about shrimp n all this rite? Some pple like to share wat they know... Asking a direct qns is better dan looking all around e place for ans... Like this bro over here... He do e helping instead of typing other stuff... He know e relevant n exact stuff tat we wanna know ba i guess...

Last edited by 3enson; 30-03-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 30-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
3enson

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
ya, better dont anyhow post links here, I will thrash them if I found out those sites do not has real experience on breeding shrimps. From what I know, 2 sites, one of them is reseller sites, peaching keeping sula shrimp in ADA soil, and he got into so much problem, the sula shrimps already weaken and further pickle by acidic water, u can imagine what his client would get.

And another one, from someone I know, no real experience, infact, he was just good at killing shrimps, but claimed that he is breeding all sorts of shrimps and even claimed for have a "farm" and years of experience but I know he was not able to keep snow ball alive and almost wipe out the red tigers shrimp I past to him.

So becareful of what you are reading.... not alway formatted properly info means correct info.
Yup, well said! Thats why ask more pple experience is better dan reading e stuff tat u dun even know right or wrong...
Old 30-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #19
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3enson View Post
Bro ur really helpful man... Thz for sharing with us...

Here is a place for us to post something about shrimp n all this rite? Some pple like to share wat they know... Asking a direct qns is better dan looking all around e place for ans... Like this bro over here... He do e helping instead of typing other stuff... He know e relevant n exact stuff tat we wanna know ba i guess...
Firstly I hope you would post in proper spelling, it is a real pain reading this sms lingo.

You are right, this is a place to post something about shrimp. However, the mentality of having to be spoon fed is not right, might as well somebody rear the shrimp for you. I am sure that the bros here would appreciate it more if you asked questions after you had done some research.

I would also like you to ask bro globalcookie, how difficult was it to gather the information that he put together? You mean to tell me that it is too much of an effort for you to do what he did? If so keeping shrimp might be too difficult for you.

You have said that asking people with experience is better than reading stuff that you don't know is right or wrong. My question is 'how do you know that the person is telling you the truth?' Isn't it better you read up AND ask the experienced people and from there gather your own conclusions.

Lastly, I am more than happy to share whatever knowledge that I have gathered just not with people who are too lazy to find things out and expect to be spoonfed.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
globalcookie
Dragon

Bro, I can see where you are coming from. Like you, sometimes I just loose my patience. My response to some topics/threads were rather unfriendly too. That usually includes thread where shrimp lives were taken too lightly.

I'm not very knowledgeable on shrimp keeping but like you said, I try not to be spoon fed by asking repeat common question. Than again, pH topics were really scattered thus that could have led him to throw out a question like he din do any homework.

I knew there are a few good topics there are missing in the sticky. But than, I am also lazy to wonder what it is, or to do a search (since it didn't concern me ). But than agn, since this thread surfaced, I thought it's time to try update e sticky.

Anyone asking questions where the topic were already well covered in the sticky, shd be... ticked off since much efforts were put in, to do up a sticky.
--

Like what Bro Silane said
Quote:
shrimps are too cheap here, shrimps are too easy accessible, people here will just buy and try, dont bother to find out more on how to keep them before buying them

Singaporeans (including PRs), not all but many, are too price sensitive. Price errosion in Singapore is one of the fastest among developed nations. It's sad to see prices of lives (in this case, shrimps) erode like melting ice cream. Best thing is, sometimes I read in wts, bargaining on prices when the offered prices were already very attractive. It's so affordable that pple doesn't bat an eyelid, thus also result in taking lives too leisurely.

Last edited by globalcookie; 30-03-2009 at 11:18 PM.