Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 24-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #41
plantmania

The dimensions is in the specs above, 336mm long or slightly more than 1 feet long. It's a computer part, to mount it ontop of a fish tank, you need to epoxy glue some clamps on it, clamps can be bought at local hardware store or ikea....

The power supply , either buy one of those 300 watt PSU or convert a AC-DC adaper to provide 12 volt of power with a molex connector. Total cost of a DIY project I think is about 80-90 dollars inclusive of mount and power adapter....

Because it large, the amount of water coverage is higher. This in turn means greater evaporation as well as cooler temp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk08
yap was gonna ask the same qn, do enlighten us bro plantmania, I'm sure alot of us r interested... the size of the cooler master is like its 1ft-2ft? looks good for 3ft tank n above
Old 24-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #42
dOlBy

I'm tempted already, will go to SLS to check it out If the price is ok, I will get it!
Old 24-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #43
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
As written on the box:
Mr Aqua Super Tornado Cooling Fan
Specification:
1. Wind power is 8-10x bigger than normal computer fan
2. Holder can be adjusted depends on size of tank
3. Low wind resistance, high efficiency & low power consumption
4. Super silence design, silent & quiet
5. Safe shield, avoid hands being cut by fan blade

no idea abt rpm & wattage

Yo Bros, I have both the Aqua Super Tornado as well as the master cooler mentioned by Bro Plantmania. My experience with such fans, aka blowers or air-con technology (FCU) is not good for bringing down the tank temperature for tank that is 3feet and above. You need to understand such blowers are strong, powerful as it is directional. But it is very poor in surface area coverage across your tank water surface due to the design of tanks generally.

For cooling to take place, the air flow needs to cover a wider water surface area, which in turns create air movement to be effective to create an environment for water evaporation to occurs. If your tank is small, the blower when pointed downwards on the water surface is usually sufficient to cause the air flow to skim across the entire water surface of the small tank.

My tank is both a 4' and a 5' so such blower effectiveness is reduce as it does not covers the entire water surface effectively. I did a test, with just the Tornado or Cooler master, my 5' tank temp only drops to 28.5 degree running for 24hours. I swap back to my 230V 12" fan, the temp goes back down to 26 degree. So I combine both and bring my tank temp to 25 degrees. I ended up with the 230V 12" fan blowing from the left side of the tank and I used the blower on the right side of the tank to suck the air out and away from the water surface.

Conclusion from my experience, the blower works well for my 2' tank down to 26-27 degrees. But the 230V 12" fan works best for tank 3' and above. Of course , lower temp means more daily top-up of water. Hope this help.

Last edited by .S1; 25-02-2005 at 12:03 AM.
.S1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #44
astro

was playing wif the idea of computer's water cooling heatsink.
wonder will it reduce the temp?
Old 24-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #45
plantmania

heatsink is not going to work unless it has a huge surface area, which in turn means huge power needed to actually to drive a cooling system on it. It meant for focused area of hot spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
was playing wif the idea of computer's water cooling heatsink.
wonder will it reduce the temp?
Old 25-02-2005, 12:11 AM   #46
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOlBy
I'm tempted already, will go to SLS to check it out If the price is ok, I will get it!
yo dolby do update us if u got it up n running
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #47
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by .S1
Yo Bros, I have both the Aqua Super Tornado as well as the master cooler mentioned by Bro Plantmania. My experience with such fans, aka blowers or air-con technology (FCU) is not good for bringing down the tank temperature for tank that is 3feet and above. You need to understand such blowers are strong, powerful as it is directional. But it is very poor in surface area coverage across your tank water surface due to the design of tanks generally.

For cooling to take place, the air flow needs to cover a wider water surface area, which in turns create air movement to be effective to create an environment for water evaporation to occurs. If your tank is small, the blower when pointed downwards on the water surface is usually sufficient to cause the air flow to skim across the entire water surface of the small tank.

My tank is both a 4' and a 5' so such blower effectiveness is reduce as it does not covers the entire water surface effectively. I did a test, with just the Tornado or Cooler master, my 5' tank temp only drops to 28.5 degree running for 24hours. I swap back to my 230V 12" fan, the temp goes back down to 26 degree. So I combine both and bring my tank temp to 25 degrees. I ended up with the 230V 12" fan blowing from the left side of the tank and I used the blower on the right side of the tank to suck the air out and away from the water surface.

Conclusion from my experience, the blower works well for my 2' tank down to 26-27 degrees. But the 230V 12" fan works best for tank 3' and above. Of course , lower temp means more daily top-up of water. Hope this help.
when u mean the 230V 12" Fan, r u refering to those clip on fan use in some office or those used in taxis? if yes den I can just take from my office hehe
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #48
dOlBy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk08
yo dolby do update us if u got it up n running
After reading .S1 review I hesitate liao because mine's a 3ft.
Old 25-02-2005, 02:33 AM   #49
plantmania

So you tested out the much larger 1'cooler master fan on your 3' tank ?

Or just the 4+ inch aqua tornado fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .S1
Old 25-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #50
armageddon
Senior Dragon

same here. my tank 5 ft >.< but... can't the tornado fan ahve a adjutable angle?? like those normal CPU fan or we need to DIY if we wanna get another angle. i think in terms of power tornado may be strong. but a cons about it is only angle turning. think it can be easily solved with the right additional stuffs.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote