Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 04-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
ectan
Arofanatic

Default Stripping front.

Enjoy the short video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEl5RUeMtE&NR
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
crossdiscus
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectan View Post
nice video clip.....thank for sharing.
crossdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
SickLid
Dragon

when i saw the subject...i tot someone here did it!

Nice clip.
SickLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
dom07
Dragon

nice clip bro.....
dom07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
kgiggs

hav anyone success breed fron b4?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
korn7ryan

Interesting clip...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
aqua doctor

nice size female;thanks for sharing
btw. iv'e done fronts in the past
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
FrontosaGuy

I won't dare do it myself...
Old 18-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
Ron R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontosaGuy View Post
I won't dare do it myself...
It is not hard to do............practice makes perfect. LOL If you are a fisherman or have held live fish in your hand you are already halfway there. When you are holding a live fish remember they are slippery. You don't want to drop the fish so you need to get a firm grip on them with a wet hand........no towels or dry hand because you don't want to harm their slime coat which protects them.

You have to be prepared. I have a large white plastic mixing bowl that I use. I fill it with about 5"-6" of tank water. I have it sitting on the floor next to the tank.

The hardest part when stripping a holding female is catching her. I have a 180g 6 foot tank so I have to use a big net and a long stick to help move the fish around. Once I've cornered the wc moba momma holding eggs in her mouth I net her and bring her down to the floor next to my mixing bowl.

I grab her firmly right next to the floor. If she slips out of my hand she only falls a few inches. I have seen vids of people holding fish a few feet off the ground, dropping them and either injuring or killing the fish.......not good.

I place her head and mouth in the mixing bowl and use my index finger' fingernail to slowly open her mouth underwater. If you open her mouth too wide, you can injure her jaw. Once her mouth is open I move her back and forth in the bowl and her egg-bound fry are released in the bowl. I move her around with her mouth open for about 20-30 seconds to be sure all the fry have come out.

I return the momma to my tank, continuing to hold her underwater for a few seconds moving her back and forth to get oxygen flowing over her gills and release her.

Getting the fragile egg-bound fry into the tumbler is pretty simple and if you need help there, just let me know.

Stripping is not hard to do. I usually strip my wc moba mommas at day 10-11 post-spawn and keep them in the tumbler until their eggsac disappears.
Old 19-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
Betta Mania

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R. View Post
It is not hard to do............practice makes perfect. LOL If you are a fisherman or have held live fish in your hand you are already halfway there. When you are holding a live fish remember they are slippery. You don't want to drop the fish so you need to get a firm grip on them with a wet hand........no towels or dry hand because you don't want to harm their slime coat which protects them.

You have to be prepared. I have a large white plastic mixing bowl that I use. I fill it with about 5"-6" of tank water. I have it sitting on the floor next to the tank.

The hardest part when stripping a holding female is catching her. I have a 180g 6 foot tank so I have to use a big net and a long stick to help move the fish around. Once I've cornered the wc moba momma holding eggs in her mouth I net her and bring her down to the floor next to my mixing bowl.

I grab her firmly right next to the floor. If she slips out of my hand she only falls a few inches. I have seen vids of people holding fish a few feet off the ground, dropping them and either injuring or killing the fish.......not good.

I place her head and mouth in the mixing bowl and use my index finger' fingernail to slowly open her mouth underwater. If you open her mouth too wide, you can injure her jaw. Once her mouth is open I move her back and forth in the bowl and her egg-bound fry are released in the bowl. I move her around with her mouth open for about 20-30 seconds to be sure all the fry have come out.

I return the momma to my tank, continuing to hold her underwater for a few seconds moving her back and forth to get oxygen flowing over her gills and release her.

Getting the fragile egg-bound fry into the tumbler is pretty simple and if you need help there, just let me know.

Stripping is not hard to do. I usually strip my wc moba mommas at day 10-11 post-spawn and keep them in the tumbler until their eggsac disappears.
Many thanks for the detailed desciption bro, can you please update as to how often does the female breed - is she ready soonafter stripping before she has a new brood or will it take sometime before she is ready? Is there harm to get her broooding or should we allow her to rest before her next brood? - many thanks for the inputs bro!

Last edited by Betta Mania; 19-10-2010 at 03:10 AM.