Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 29-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Aris
Arofanatic

What can this advertising org. do that a local company cannot? Was there any open tender? What is the requisite for being awarded the contract?

The public should be informed as $10 million is a huge sum of public money to be spent. Was there a necessity to keep this project a secret until the contract was awarded?
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
globalcookie
Dragon

Singapore Johor MRT study is $84mil.

$10m for 2yrs dengue fight, maybe it's more than just plain advertisements. I wonder what is in the package, anyone knows e details?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Pay each family $5 to clear their stagnant water may be even more effective.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Aris
Arofanatic

Unhappy

If you recall, I did mentioned that I intended to write to NEA. After my email was sent, this was their response (dated 4th April)....

Text of my email to NEA

Aris xxx <aris.xxx@gmail.com>

2 Apr

to Contact_NEA

I read with interest about the recent case of dengue occurring in Tampines and have the following suggestions. In the past I have also written to NEA and suggested putting up posters to inform Singapore residents who may leave the country for extended period leaving behind an empty home which will then be a potential breeding ground for mosquitoes. NEA has since then produced such posters and put them up in most neighbourhood noticeboards.

May I suggest the following that may assist NEA to increase awareness amongst residents and also a different approach. One of the worrying issue when it revolves individuals with the common mindset is the question, "leave the rest to NEA to eradicate the mosquitoes as I have already done my part to ensure my area of responsibility(my home) is not breeding mosquitoes. I have also taken the necessary precautions that my family is not affected."

1. Why don't NEA take this further by encouraging residents to buy mosquito traps? Any mosquito killed may reduce the chances it will breed more and hence reduce the mosquito population density. Can NEA put aside a budget to pay a portion toward the cost of the purchase of an NEA-approved mosquito trap? I think in the long run assuming residents are encouraged to get a unit, in the community there will have a number of them placed in different blocks that will attract mosquitoes and killed them off. In breaking the life cycle of the mosquitoes, the mosquito-ridden community will get rid of the problem.

2. Why don't NEA increase awareness of residents about breeding mosquitoes in their absence when leaving the country for an extended period? Have travel and tour companies place large posters in their offices and advisories attached to their tickets. Place prominent posters at exit points out of the country such as ferry points, airports and at the Causeway. Air tickets issued to Singapore residents should have an advisory attached. Domestic maids should be taught by maid agencies on mosquito breeding control as their employers rely on them to take care of the home.

I hope NEA will see some merit to my suggestions and that some if not all will be implemented.

NEA's reply

"NEA-2013-04-001919

Dear Mr xxx

Thank you for sharing with us your concern and suggestions on the approach to increase awareness among residents.

2 However, to use an ovitrap effectively, regular checks need to be conducted to ensure that it is assembled and placed correctly. If the ovitrap is not maintained appropriately, it could become an active breeding ground. Hence, if home-made traps or ovitraps are put in homes, proliferation of mosquitoes and the potential transmission of dengue fever could result if they are not properly maintained or placed.

3. We are working with other relevant agencies to step up dengue prevention efforts nationwide. We will also roll out a publicity campaign to spread the vigilance message among the community. Our officers will also conduct house visits and distribute public educational materials such as brochures to members of the public. In addition, residents can participate in their grassroots’ dengue prevention activities to help fight against dengue. For example we have officially launch the H.O.M.E.S.+ programme, which stands for HOusehold Mosquito Eradication System PLUS. H.O.M.E.S.+ is an enhanced programme that urges our community to create their very own “Dengue First-Aid Box”. Inspired by the household first aid kit, the new H.O.M.E.S.+ takes the form of a handy box containing essential items (i.e. cluster checklist, insect repellent wipes, bamboo pole holder, pipette, container for easy isolation of mosquito larvae etc.) that promotes a dengue-free living environment.

4. Notwithstanding the above, we will review your suggestion to educate the public on the use of ovitraps in households. We will also continue to work with all relevant parties to increase awareness. Thank you.

Yours sincerely

(Name withheld) • Executive • Quality Service Unit, Environmental Health Department • National Environment Agency • DID : +65 6731 XXXX • Fax : +65 6731 9749 • Email : xxx_xxx_xxx@nea.gov.sg

I do not recall that I mentioned ovitrap as the trap for catching mosquitoes, but apparently NEA has that in their mind. However, I let that pass as I did not expect anything to happen.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
What can this advertising org. do that a local company cannot? Was there any open tender? What is the requisite for being awarded the contract?

The public should be informed as $10 million is a huge sum of public money to be spent. Was there a necessity to keep this project a secret until the contract was awarded?
dont think its a secret
shld be a public tender
go check gebiz la

if you were not scared
be scared now
in 2005, 19 people died from DHF

I have 1000+ educational pamphlets to drop
anyone wants to help out?

Last edited by richardg; 30-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
foxwagon
Dragon

What about those areas like forests? NEA got go and check?
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
apparently forest area these mossies got no blood to suck
so wont breed there

some other points.

the mozzies office hours are day time only, not night
the new strain of DHF is type 1, which most of us got no immunity
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
2 years 10m.....that company now laughing......all the way to the bank.... knn! Hire more ppl to clean the long kang lah! c....b...

some individuals are laughing too hoh to the bank
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
angelo
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
apparently forest area these mossies got no blood to suck
so wont breed there

some other points.

the mozzies office hours are day time only, not night
the new strain of DHF is type 1, which most of us got no immunity
Female mosquito consume blood from living vertebrates, including humans. Day and night. They will choose to avoid direct sunlight.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
You mean pulau tekong, sungei gedong, pulau ubin etc .... ??
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote