Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 15-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
mnhash
Arofanatic

Default DE experiment cure.

Hi bros,

I have a 16" Kingdom Red with slight DE. As much as I want to put it into my FGT to "cure" the DE, it's now packed with rays and my gator gars.

After thinking about the concept of distraction beneath the arowana as a cause and the floating ping-pong balls as the solution which are suppose to capture the arowana's attention, i've decided to paste my tank covers and OHF support with reflective film so that when the arowana swims around, it diverts its' attention the reflection of itself swimming. Hence forcing it to constantly look up.

At the same time, i've darken the water with Ketapang leaves to calm the fish and covered the sides of the tank. The front is left open for tanning light.

Any thoughts on the reflective covers? Cause if I see improvement, I intend to customise mirror acrylic covers to replace the ones with the film pasted on.
mnhash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
mnhash
Arofanatic

Here's the picture of the covers.

Old 16-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
longyi
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhash View Post
Hi bros,

I have a 16" Kingdom Red with slight DE. As much as I want to put it into my FGT to "cure" the DE, it's now packed with rays and my gator gars.

After thinking about the concept of distraction beneath the arowana as a cause and the floating ping-pong balls as the solution which are suppose to capture the arowana's attention, i've decided to paste my tank covers and OHF support with reflective film so that when the arowana swims around, it diverts its' attention the reflection of itself swimming. Hence forcing it to constantly look up.

At the same time, i've darken the water with Ketapang leaves to calm the fish and covered the sides of the tank. The front is left open for tanning light.

Any thoughts on the reflective covers? Cause if I see improvement, I intend to customise mirror acrylic covers to replace the ones with the film pasted on.
Covering up the tank glass using old newspaper or black dustbin plastic bags has been a long old technic to cure de, and it do help to improve the de problem provided that the aro is suffering de at a much earlier stage.

If the de is already serious, this method won't help much, even if you see some improvement and after you've removed all covering the de will develope back.
longyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Vitor
Dragon

I saw on youtube , search arowana operation,
Got a video

They cut fats from the eye, a bit gross
But works....
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=04n1bk0WBM4
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
mnhash
Arofanatic

Thanks for the sharing bros! Will try it out on another fish.
Old 21-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
cheogin
Arofanatic

Hi,

I posted something a few months back

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...29#post9545029

Maybe you can help experiment and see if it works, so far my Aro no DE....grew from 6 inches to about 16 inches today.

thanks.
cheogin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arowana, droop eye, kingdom red