Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #11
rainman

Very nice bro! thanks for sharing!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #12
rainman

Another crappy pic taken during feeding time..

Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

I don't know, to envy you, or to also wonder if you miss out the joy of CRS breeding. Don't get me wrong.. here's what I mean.

CRS used to be very very costly. Thus, in the past, hobbyist could only start with very low grade shrimps and slowly saw their crs mutate as well as slowly upgrade (buy higher grade) their shrimps.

CRS has become so much more affordable, that you could start with S or Hino grade or even SSS w/o feeling the pinch. As a result, you are getting very nice shrimps in your tank, and the offspring are usually quite good grades.

I envy the affordability, but you miss out the process.

I was lucky too, when I started CRS keeping, it was already very affordable that I could start with A grade and upgrade to S+ and SS within months. Money can easily buy me even SSS grades. I am a bit old school. I stick to S and SS grades and let them breed on their own. Now, I see a quite a number of SS or even SSS grades shrimplets in my tank.

When Silane bro started out (was it in 2003 or 2004 as mentioned in his URL), it was so costly. Money doesn't mean he could have easy access to even S grade. Thus we benefitted from his experience, thus a lot of mistakes in shrimp keeping were listed out by our seniors, and we get to enjoy the success of shrimp keeping.

I take this chance to also extend my kudos to Silane and all the other seniors of earlier years shrimp keeping.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
winq

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I don't know, to envy you, or to also wonder if you miss out the joy of CRS breeding. Don't get me wrong.. here's what I mean.

CRS used to be very very costly. Thus, in the past, hobbyist could only start with very low grade shrimps and slowly saw their crs mutate as well as slowly upgrade (buy higher grade) their shrimps.

CRS has become so much more affordable, that you could start with S or Hino grade or even SSS w/o feeling the pinch. As a result, you are getting very nice shrimps in your tank, and the offspring are usually quite good grades.

I was lucky too, when I started CRS keeping, it was already very affordable that I could start with A grade and upgrade to S+ and SS within months. Money can easily buy me even SSS grades. I am a bit old school. I stick to S and SS grades and let them breed on their own. Now, I see a quite a number of SS or even SSS grades shrimplets in my tank.

When Silane bro started out (was it in 2003 or 2004 as mentioned in his URL), it was so costly. Money doesn't mean he could have easy access to even S grade. Thus we benefitted from his experience, thus a lot of mistakes in shrimp keeping were listed out by our seniors, and we get to enjoy the success of shrimp keeping.

I take this chance to also extend my kudos to Silane and all the other seniors of earlier years shrimp keeping.
hi bro, i do agree with you on the last part. i extend my kudos to bro Silane and other seniors too.

but the front part where u mention starting with high grades, i feel that is each to his own. cos in every kind of fish keeping or can i say in everything there is the rich and poor. for example, some pple born less rich, they study hard work hard to become a boss but some pple born rich. they no need study no need work can become boss already. so are we saying they dont enjoy the hardship to success?

even in keeping aros or bettas or any fish. there is pple who start late but the best. another eg. bettas: when the thai found betta, the wild betta have no staight edge or halfmoon tail or even dull colour. but thru hard years, now wat we get is all the beautiful colour n pattern.

in every fish keeping they are diff kind of reason or feeling. some like to start with low grade, some affordable like to start with high grade. that is okay. is their feeling or mayb they have their reason. so we cant say they miss out any kind of enjoyment. thanks.

cheers, no hard feeling yeah.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
rainman

Quote:

Hi bro, thanks for your commments.. honestly, i'm not even sure how to answer you but i'm gonna give it a shot anyways!

After reading much on what's been posted, mostly thru Silane and on other forums, I agree that much has been done to put CRS on the map where it is nowadays. And just like bettas, there's no way now i would think of even using a veiltail to achieve a halfmoon => sure you could enjoy the process of trying to breed out the best finnage, but that would just be silly becos you'd be going back in time. Therefore, it only makes sense to use the best stock one can find.

Having said that, I keep shrimps as a hobby because i find them fascinating and pleasurable to look at. and as a hobbyist, i do not expect to receive any return on my investment as we all know that we spend way more than we should on our hobbies! If my shrimps breed, it's a plus because it means that i'm providing a suitable environment for them to do so.. and becos they're not like bettas that need human intervention by selecting the best of traits, it makes good judgement to keep the nicer grades together so as to maintain the gene pool. Some may find C grades nicer to look at instead of mosuras or hinos, and so be it.. I personally like the looks of thick whites and reds on hinos, and so it would make sense to separate these shrimps so as to maintain that trait. CRS may be more affordable now in terms of high grades, but i still feel the pinch in my wallet! haha..

I have to agree with you though on the efforts put by Silane and others to provide the knowledge and information for those interested in this hobby cheers!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #16
reaverx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Another crappy pic taken during feeding time..

sweet ! what temp u keeping yr crs at ? mind sharing what kinda chiller u using ?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #17
globalcookie
Dragon

Winq bro, I don't know how did you get the idea or relation to being born rich or less rich, working hard or not?

What I meant to say is, with CRS being more affordable than before, with the same money, you get a much higher grade shrimp. Years ago, the pioneers started out with C grades, B or at most, A grade. S grade was too expensive, and even if they can bear to pay, it doesn't mean they can buy it readily.

Thus, let's say, just abt 1.5yrs ago, a SS grade would cost in excess of $200, but it is available at below one blue note today. It's as simple as that that I was refering to. I wasn't even talking about rich or working hard.

It's because shrimps are affordable, that pple would start with S or SS grade immediately. If you start with A or S grade, and when you eventually sees a SS grade in your breedout, the joy of having your own SS is tremendious. It's like if you work hard and earns your own money, you go thru e process and when you spend your money, the feeling is different from spending money given by parents. Get it?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
winq

Quote:
Winq bro, I don't know how did you get the idea or relation to being born rich or less rich, working hard or not?

What I meant to say is, with CRS being more affordable than before, with the same money, you get a much higher grade shrimp. Years ago, the pioneers started out with C grades, B or at most, A grade. S grade was too expensive, and even if they can bear to pay, it doesn't mean they can buy it readily.

Thus, let's say, just abt 1.5yrs ago, a SS grade would cost in excess of $200, but it is available at below one blue note today. It's as simple as that that I was refering to. I wasn't even talking about rich or working hard.

It's because shrimps are affordable, that pple would start with S or SS grade immediately. If you start with A or S grade, and when you eventually sees a SS grade in your breedout, the joy of having your own SS is tremendious. It's like if you work hard and earns your own money, you go thru e process and when you spend your money, the feeling is different from spending money given by parents. Get it?
haha.. omg.. my bad.. actually wat i wan to say is wat bro rainman mean. jus that my english not good.. explain abit misunderstanding.. sorry sorry.. who ask me when young dunwan to study hard.. lol..
Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:

I do agree with what you said. I started crs about 2 years back and stopped after a few months because I couldn't get my grade A to breed (think it costed $20 each). Started again last year with higher grades and with better equipment. Its always a good learning exp. Now I'm trying out many different fishes as well.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #20
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winq View Post
haha.. omg.. my bad.. my english not good.. who ask me when young dunwan to study hard.. lol..
I am thinking of buying Primary 1 chinese book to learn chinese.. haha.. I hope I didn't give a wrong impression when I post those opinions abv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
I started crs about 2 years back and stopped after a few months because I couldn't get my grade A to breed
And the best part is, the initial batch of CRS seems not to make it. And if each shrimp cost abv $100, would we just buy it or would we think twice.

When I started on CRS, i had to think hard, if I really can bear to pay for Hino. I only started keeping Hino about 1yr ago. When a few Hino died, my heart aches.