Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

View Poll Results: Should The Govenment Apologize?
Yes. SG should apologize for these detentions 8 61.54%
No, dont think so. 4 30.77%
Dont really care, so long alread, doesnt bother me. 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
hkh
Arofanatic

There are thousands more who believed and campaigned for PAP in Malaysian States before Singapore was expelled from Malaysia........
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
There are thousands more who believed and campaigned for PAP in Malaysian States before Singapore was expelled from Malaysia........
Unsung heroes or revolts.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

Dr Chia Thye Poh (born 1941) is a Singaporean former political prisoner.

Detained under the Internal Security Act of Singapore for allegedly conducting pro-communist activities against the government, he was imprisoned for 23 years without charge or trial and subsequently placed under conditions of house arrest for another nine years – in which he was first confined to the island of Sentosa and then subject to restrictions on his place of abode, employment, travel, and exercise of political rights.

On 17 May 1989, he was released from 23 years of imprisonment[8] without charge or trial on the mainland, and instead confined to a one-room guardhouse on Sentosa[3] where he was required to pay the rent on the pretext that he was then a "free" man. He was also required to purchase and prepare his own food. As he had no money, he was offered a job as the assistant curator of Fort Siloso on the West of the island. He refused the offer on the understanding that it was a government civil service position in which he may, as a result, be "muzzled"[3] from talking to the media without official permission.[2] Instead, he negotiated an arrangement where he worked as a freelance translator for the Sentosa Development Corporation.[2] About that time he made the following remarks about the circumstances of his continuing detention and the culture of politics in Singapore in general:[12]

“ I am confident that no matter how much difficulties I face, and how long it will take, the government will have to release me unconditionally one day... I hope that with continued support from the people, I can one day gain my complete freedom.”

“ Under the PAP rule, there is no genuine parliamentary democracy. In essence, it has been practicing a one-party rule. It seems to want to remain as the sole, dominant party, with other smaller parties acting as marginal opposition and 'sparring partners' for new PAP MPs. The opposition parties will never be allowed to grow strong... There is always the danger of one-party rule slipping into one-man rule, and worse still, into dynastic rule. The PAP... seems elitist and arrogant, regard themselves as the best and the most suitable to rule Singapore. And they rule with iron-handed policies.”

Final release[edit]
In 1990, there was some relaxation of the restrictions applying to him.[3] Chia has stated his belief that representations by Chancellor Helmut Kohl of West Germany in the mid-1980s[13] played some part in the Singaporean government's decision to soften its stance in regard to him.[3]

In 1992, he was allowed to return to the mainland and visit the home of his parents,[2] but was still placed under restrictions on travel, activities and associations.

In November 1997, restrictions were further relaxed to an extent that allowed him to accept a fellowship from the Hamburg Foundation of the German government for politically persecuted persons. He subsequently spent a year in Hamburg studying economics, politics, and German language.[2][14] He was also permitted to change his address and to seek employment without prior permission of the director of Singapore's Internal Security Department.[3]

In August 1998, he underwent a prostate operation in Singapore.[3]

In November 1998, it was reported that the source of his income was the work that he performed as a freelance translator.[3]

On 27 November 1998, all remaining restrictions were nullified.[3] He thus formally regained rights to make public statements, address public meetings, and participate in political activity.[3] He immediately called upon the Government to repeal the Internal Security Act[13] and expressed his interest in becoming involved in political activity.[3][15]

On 27 November 1998, Amnesty International issued a public statement that restrictions on "Singapore's longest serving prisoner of conscience" had been lifted. Amnesty International considered the announcement to be more than thirty years' overdue.[16]
-----------------------

I recall in the 90s, there was a news article on this, of Dr Chia being a political prisoner in Sentosa. How funny, prisoner yet got to pay rent.

A true blue politician, one whom refused to bow despite the >30 imprisonment.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Auratus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Dr Chia Thye Poh (born 1941) is a Singaporean former political prisonern
I recall in the 90s, there was a news article on this, of Dr Chia being a political prisoner in Sentosa. How funny, prisoner yet got to pay rent.

A true blue politician, one whom refused to bow despite the >30 imprisonment.
It is sad that people are heartless and carry out duties against innocent people, just to save guard their rice bowl to sacrifice others.
How can our society progress with such attitude?

Many praise their leaders but stubbornly ignore facts.
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote