Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
ectan
Arofanatic
 
ectan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 461
Default Callochromis pleurospilus spawned !

Noticed 2 of the females holding last night !

Anyone has experience with these fishes ?

This is my 1st time dealing with sand fishes & mouth brooder.

What's the typical brooding period ? 2 wks ? 3 wks ?
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
seagul
Arofanatic
 
seagul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 267
Default

wow congrats!!! that is really great news.

im not sure with this species but typical mouthbrooders hold up to 2 weeks. Just keep a close watch on them these 2 weeks. My own personal experience is that if the fish is rather skittish and easily stresed, it is best not to attempt to catch them during holding period as they might swallow or spit the eggs. When its about 2weeks its safer to try and separate them, even if they spit, it will be fully formed fries.

do keep a close watch on them as males sometimes still will pester the females.
seagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Discus_RTG
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Found this while searching the scientific name of your cichlid....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...eurospilus.php

Hope it helps....
  Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
ostrava
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wah steady! Congrads! i nv heard ppl of spawning them, u seems to be the first
  Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
wimbellis
Arofanatic
 
wimbellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 286
Default

Congrats on your spawn.Please take some picture to share.thks.
wimbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
ectan
Arofanatic
 
ectan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrava View Post
Wah steady! Congrads! i nv heard ppl of spawning them, u seems to be the first
Really caught me off guard this time round.

They are supposely young fishes, only abt 2.5" for the dominant male & 2" for the females.
Sources from web: Their standard size is 10 cm, that's 4" !
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
ectan
Arofanatic
 
ectan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
wow congrats!!! that is really great news.

im not sure with this species but typical mouthbrooders hold up to 2 weeks. Just keep a close watch on them these 2 weeks. My own personal experience is that if the fish is rather skittish and easily stresed, it is best not to attempt to catch them during holding period as they might swallow or spit the eggs. When its about 2weeks its safer to try and separate them, even if they spit, it will be fully formed fries.

do keep a close watch on them as males sometimes still will pester the females.
I'll prepare a holding tank just in case.

So far the holding females are doing great, no disturbance from the other fishes.

The other tank mates are 2 calvus , 2 ocellatus & 6 Cyprichromis
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
seagul
Arofanatic
 
seagul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectan View Post
I'll prepare a holding tank just in case.

So far the holding females are doing great, no disturbance from the other fishes.

The other tank mates are 2 calvus , 2 ocellatus & 6 Cyprichromis
Thats great. with calvus inside just have to ensure that u catch the fries out b4 the calvus yar

congrats to you again!
seagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
crossdiscus
Endangered Dragon
 
crossdiscus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectan View Post
Noticed 2 of the females holding last night !

Anyone has experience with these fishes ?

This is my 1st time dealing with sand fishes & mouth brooder.

What's the typical brooding period ? 2 wks ? 3 wks ?
great news....
crossdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
ectan
Arofanatic
 
ectan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 461
Default

I am thinking of partitioning off 1 side of the tank & keeping the holding females there untill they release.

This way, I just guide the females into the partition without netting & stressing them.

Do you think this method will work ?
ectan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)