Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 14-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
JadeIceGreen

Default JadeIceGreen's Corydoras Tank

Hey all!

I've not been aquascaping for a while now due to a very busy schedule at work and school. I tore down Sanzon Iwagumi (http://arofanatics.com/forums/showth...744&highlight=) after ADA 2009 results and did not have an aquascape till this week.

Shortly after Sanzon Iwagumi was stable and algae free, my aquascaping interests took a decided turn towards an emphasis on hardscape, particularly wood instead of stone. I began to love and find beauty in the twisting forms of wood and the strength it represents in an aquascape, however, it can also be one of feminine character as we shape individual pieces of wood into a sexy aquascape, something that I think I achieved on a personal level here.

My decision on corydoras was pretty easy to come by as I wanted a fauna that was at home in a very hard looking tank, yet lively enough to draw constant attention from the viewer. My choice of corydoras is C. Sterbai as it blends right into the aquascape creating a sense of unity between hardscape and fauna. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I found out just how active they were as there are times when they swam near the upper levels of the tank for minutes on end. They are extremely cute and lively fauna.

My tank is a one feet, 10 litres tank that has been with me for about 2 years now. Filtration is provided by my favourite Eheim Liberty 100 and my aquascape is lit by a 9 watt Arcadia Arc Pod, Osram 6500k. Substrate is fine sand, hardscape is ADA wood and the only plants are nanas.

I am sorry I could not do a detailed set up like what I did with Sanzon Iwagumi as I am pressed for time and this was done pretty impulsively with little planning in advance. Those who are new, do feel free to ask questions and the community and myself will try our best to answer them.

Last words. I am now loving tanks that concentrate on hardscape. There is less to do, less to care about and the strength in the aquascape is breathtaking to me. There is a sense of serenity yet powerful age as I rest my gaze on the time worn surface of wood. There is the sense of unity and purpose as each piece speaks in its own individual way yet come together as a whole. Investing in good wood is quite expensive but you can start slow. Biotope stocks splendid wood so do pay them a visit if you are looking for some.

Enjoy!

notice the floating wood in the center, it looks nice but I still prefer the original scape without water

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 14-01-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 14-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

nice looking bro.. why not get a bigger tank? can see that u have space for a standard 2footer... 2ft nicer to play with when it comes to wood hardscape..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
nice looking bro.. why not get a bigger tank? can see that u have space for a standard 2footer... 2ft nicer to play with when it comes to wood hardscape..
Hey Bro. How is your 4 feet coming along?

My table is a old Ikea table of 15 years. 60P is 60 litres, I was already afraid with a Mini M, 20 litres. And, you know my parents, they are already complained about my Mini M, no way they will let me keep a 60P.

60P will be very nice, I'll keep a discus with assorted fauna in hardscape.

I'm saving up for my dream tank, will have my own home in 2012.
Old 14-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Hey Bro. How is your 4 feet coming along?

My table is a old Ikea table of 15 years. 60P is 60 litres, I was already afraid with a Mini M, 20 litres. And, you know my parents, they are already complained about my Mini M, no way they will let me keep a 60P.

60P will be very nice, I'll keep a discus with assorted fauna in hardscape.

I'm saving up for my dream tank, will have my own home in 2012.
same loh.. when it comes to arowana keeping.. no need to update tank.. only fish.. but i do plan to add some of those ferns or nana on wood in my tank to brighten the whole tank..

great.. hope to see you update again! i do hope to come back to planted by the end of year.. planning to start with a 1.5ft tank.. probably after my O's..
Old 14-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
gilakupu
Dragon

bro i always luv ur tank setup.. another beautiful scape
gilakupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
shagy382

Simple and nice tank. You might wanna consider upgrading you tank to a bigger one though
Old 15-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
dkk08
Arofanatic

very nice bro JadeIceGreen, perhaps you can lower the water level abit more and then you'll have ur very first Vivarium/Coryrium
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
same loh.. when it comes to arowana keeping.. no need to update tank.. only fish.. but i do plan to add some of those ferns or nana on wood in my tank to brighten the whole tank..

great.. hope to see you update again! i do hope to come back to planted by the end of year.. planning to start with a 1.5ft tank.. probably after my O's..
I look forward to seeing your aro tank aquascaped. I am sure it will be better for both your aro and yourself to have a habitat instead.

Good luck on your O levels! Do up your 4 feet tank first.. If I had a 4 feet tank with a beautiful aro like yours, I will skip another planted tank and make the 4 feet, a planted tank. Something like what I did with GJ but of course on a much larger scale in regards to your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilakupu View Post
bro i always luv ur tank setup.. another beautiful scape
Thank you bro! I hope to do up more in the future too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagy382 View Post
Simple and nice tank. You might wanna consider upgrading you tank to a bigger one though
Yes I could upgrade.. But my table may not hold the weight and I am not allowed to get a cabinet. I am thinking of maybe getting a longer tank to span the entire book shelf, I'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
very nice bro JadeIceGreen, perhaps you can lower the water level abit more and then you'll have ur very first Vivarium/Coryrium
Heh.. I will still have to figure out how to grow plants on a 'wall' outside of water first. I have plans for a vivarium for the future, but for now, much to learn!
Old 16-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
I look forward to seeing your aro tank aquascaped. I am sure it will be better for both your aro and yourself to have a habitat instead.

Good luck on your O levels! Do up your 4 feet tank first.. If I had a 4 feet tank with a beautiful aro like yours, I will skip another planted tank and make the 4 feet, a planted tank. Something like what I did with GJ but of course on a much larger scale in regards to your tank.
haha.. im getting another ray soon.. ray and planted cannot mix.. and i love my ray too much to let go.
Old 16-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
awj2703

hey TS, wad's ur tank size? beautifully done..