Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 15-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
smellyfish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
and that begs the question of why the person enter politics ......

to gain fame ? power ? money ?

or to make life better for the common folks ?

I am just being naive and idealistic
for the people who join PAP at ministerial or potential ministrerial level, they join probably more to defend the "system" against the common folks. the people invited probably subscribe to the same ideology, that the system is almost as good as it can be to the common folks, but require highly capable people to run/helm it. The pitch to these people may be that you join because the system needs people like you.

it is this ideology that makes them reach out to people like Heng Swee Kiat, who are clearly very smart and capable, but have about as much charisma as a paper cup. but he showed he could run a body as important and complex as the MAS, and through the financial crisis.
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent2982 View Post
politician= $100000000
Serve public= Priceless
my idol; ah zorro is priceless erh
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
and that begs the question of why the person enter politics ......

to gain fame ? power ? money ?

or to make life better for the common folks ?

I am just being naive and idealistic
After a person got wealth, will still chase for status, power n even immortality?
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
byfun
Arofanatic

If this Grace Fu is making multi millions per year before she become Minister then she has the rights to make this kind of statement ..... if not if salary too low for her, the door is open for her to resign anytime.Even with a ex minister title i doubt she can get a multi million pay package at any MNC by her own merit.
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
Auratus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
If this Grace Fu is making multi millions per year before she become Minister then she has the rights to make this kind of statement ..... if not if salary too low for her, the door is open for her to resign anytime.Even with a ex minister title i doubt she can get a multi million pay package at any MNC by her own merit.
Exactly, they all talk cock la. Cantonese say, mmm happy mmm do lor, yao kiok mm sik han. Go back to private lah. They talk as if, the common people owe them a living and without them, you die, we die and everybody die.
KNN, as if they are the only smart, elite, scholars, brains, ass around. The rest of Singaporean all stupid and not capable.

Don't link themselves to the party or government and compete on equal footing with the rest. See they can survive or not.
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #16
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
After a person got wealth, will still chase for status, power n even immortality?
Yes, Thaksin. His family is one of the richest in Thailand even without gg into public office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auratus View Post
They talk as if, the common people owe them a living and without them, you die, we die and everybody die.
KNN, as if they are the only smart, elite, scholars, brains, ass around. The rest of Singaporean all stupid and not capable.
Seems so.. that's what they are making us feel, that they are the masters while we are slaves. So they pay themselves handsomely, and out of this world.

Maybe they are the smartest and best, as they think, as they like to compare. And we know how e comparison is la.... take gold and compare with mud to look good.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #17
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
for the people who join PAP at ministerial or potential ministrerial level, they join probably more to defend the "system" against the common folks. the people invited probably subscribe to the same ideology, that the system is almost as good as it can be to the common folks, but require highly capable people to run/helm it. The pitch to these people may be that you join because the system needs people like you.

it is this ideology that makes them reach out to people like Heng Swee Kiat, who are clearly very smart and capable, but have about as much charisma as a paper cup. but he showed he could run a body as important and complex as the MAS, and through the financial crisis.
Let's look at it from another angle. High pay for Ministers may not encourage the really good and capable talents to perform their best for the good of all. In the case of the Population White Paper, I am sure there were many who may have some misgivings as to whether this is the direction Singapore should take. One of them, Inderjit Singh, did not want to vote.

If they can earn much more were they to leave the government, I am sure many would not hesitate to lose their jobs as an MP and vote according to their conscience. Then LHL would not have the power to hold their balls and demand they remain steadfast in their loyalty to the PAP. Probably many talented individuals with balls would not hesitate to enter politics to serve the country.

In providing such huge salaries, what we have are self-serving politicians, who are guarding their rice bowls and to do their best in keeping their lucrative jobs at our expense. No way will they want to upset their boss and find themselves being thrown into the streets to fend for themselves. Why would any level-headed MP destroy a life long career by not swimming in the same direction as LHL?

Just do it like Inderjit Singh and remain safe and comfortable, otherwise they become pariahs.

Last edited by Aris; 16-01-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart73 View Post
my idol; ah zorro is priceless erh

I choose CCS as mine.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote