Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 15-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
cheekoks

Default CO2 Diffusing

Hi bros. Got a puzzling matter here. I know this has been discussed a lot of times liao, as in the question of which is the best way to diffuse CO2. But I got a prob here, my tank is only 1.5ft and reactor will take up a lot of space in my tank. And not only that, I need to add in a powerhead just to drive the reactor. Any suggestions to alternative way to diffuse CO2 with almost 100% efficiency? Initially wanted to use a internal filter to diffuse at the same time, but i end up using a liberty 100 and dun feel like changing filter...
Old 15-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
aCe^bOwleRz

For your tank size, a ceremic diffuser will do.
Reactor are normally use for tanks bigger than 2ft.
Besides internal reactor, there is also external reactor which would not take up your intenal tank space.

Old 15-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
aCe^bOwleRz

For your tank size, a ceremic diffuser will do.
Reactor are normally use for tanks bigger than 2ft.
Besides internal reactor, there is also external reactor which would not take up your internal tank space.

Old 15-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
liuhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekoks
Hi bros. Got a puzzling matter here. I know this has been discussed a lot of times liao, as in the question of which is the best way to diffuse CO2. But I got a prob here, my tank is only 1.5ft and reactor will take up a lot of space in my tank. And not only that, I need to add in a powerhead just to drive the reactor. Any suggestions to alternative way to diffuse CO2 with almost 100% efficiency? Initially wanted to use a internal filter to diffuse at the same time, but i end up using a liberty 100 and dun feel like changing filter...
for such small tank, a good ceramic diffusor is good enough. it doesnt have be 100% efficiency because you only need to inject very little co2 to achieve certain ppm. 80% or 100& efficiency not big difference. moreover ceramic diffusor saves lots of space as well.

for bigger tank the story is different, lots of co2 is needed to achieve same ppm so efficiency makes more sense.
Old 15-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
plantmania

First thing first . Are you planting some high/medium requirement plants ? If it's only low maintainence plants like nana or ferns... You can just go ahead without any CO2 injection.

I personally don't really liked ceramic diffusor, as they clog easily.... I would recommend using a flipper type system like that from nutrafin if you really want CO2 injection. If die die want to go ahead with the diffusor, place it under any internal filter to let it suck in the escaped CO2 bubbles

Finally, there's the dosing option of using Seachem's Flourish Excel. Since it's a 1.5 ft small tank, a single bottle can last it for months.
Old 15-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
cheekoks

Thanks, bros. Is there any difference between those ceramic diffuser and those simple diffusers which looks like an airstone, but I think it's made of ceramic also (cos it's white in colour, )?
Old 15-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
Little_Fish

Another suggestion is since u are using a HOT filter, perhaps u wanna place the diffusor near the inlet of the filter. So that when the bubbles are sucked up, they will be diffused in the water within the filter. (diffusion is not a 100% but i found that its higher compared to when my diffusor was just left at a corner. Plants looked much healthy.)
Worked for me when i was using my 200 liberty.
Hope it will work for yours as well.
Cheers.
Old 15-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
the_r0ck

The ceramic diffusers for co2 puportedly produce finer bubbles (which I agree to a certain extent), but require more pressure to be built up to work. That's the reason for the noticable delay in the production of co2 in alot of DIY setups. The other kind I suppose is just normal airstones, very bad bubble size and they come out in the more irritating of directions.

Anyway, I have a 1.5 feet tank too. I use Seachem Excel and i recommend that you use it too, for you are using a HOT, and Excel is not like normal co2 where it is lost from surface turbulence. It's really good, though you have to be around to dose every other day, where co2 won't have much problems once it's up unless it's used up.

Also, in such a small tank, the diffuser will be kinda hard to hide (though still possible) and take up whatever precious space that you have left.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
cheekoks

Agree with you bro. It's kinda hard to hide it. Plus, the other bros said that it gets clogged easily. Haiz...mah fan ar. Wat is Seachem Excel bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck
The ceramic diffusers for co2 puportedly produce finer bubbles (which I agree to a certain extent), but require more pressure to be built up to work. That's the reason for the noticable delay in the production of co2 in alot of DIY setups. The other kind I suppose is just normal airstones, very bad bubble size and they come out in the more irritating of directions.

Anyway, I have a 1.5 feet tank too. I use Seachem Excel and i recommend that you use it too, for you are using a HOT, and Excel is not like normal co2 where it is lost from surface turbulence. It's really good, though you have to be around to dose every other day, where co2 won't have much problems once it's up unless it's used up.

Also, in such a small tank, the diffuser will be kinda hard to hide (though still possible) and take up whatever precious space that you have left.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
Little_Fish

Seachem Flourish excel: Organic carbon source for the planted aquarium.
as the name states.
Cheers.