Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
globalcookie
Dragon

Thank you bro. Very touched that more and more ppl are willing to step forth and take a some efforts to help a fellow living being. I went down at 230pm just now, and didn't see them either. I will head down at about 10pm and walk around the estate to see if they are around. Like to just give them some info where they can get help. The least I could do for them.

The old lady is very frail and her face looks really worn out and bloated. Son is English speaking. I think they could be cantonese, I couldn't chat with the lady but spoke with her son. Seems like their own possession is a haversack on his back. He said they hv not showered for about 10 days, which likely means they hv been living on the streets for that long (or longer). I think he is in pant and a blue tee which he may have worn for a few days now. His mum is in those chinese clothings grannies wears. No bad smell tho.

In the event anyone meets them and buys them food, remember that since they are low on food, avoid smthg spicy or acidic, in case it trigger the gastric.

Let's hope they get a shelter very soon and some nice warm dinner on CNY period too.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

I think if we keep this thread apolitical they will get more publicity in main chatterbox forum.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
kenza
Senior Dragon

Maybe we can donate some clothes or money to help them tight down for at less cny?
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #14
globalcookie
Dragon

Just a summary. Did a 1.5hrs walk around e area. Saw 6 homeless ppl (or what i thought) sleeping on metal benches, a few with only a cardboard as blanket. I think these 6 are not likely as bad as that mother and son. Will leave that as it is.

Mother and son, didn't see them. Saw there is a 'shelter' at one of the block, called "Happy Valley". Peep inside and saw beds, it seems a little like hospital wards kind of concept. I guess and hope, maybe the mother and son also found a temporary shelter.
Old 13-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #15
yeobt
Arofanatic

Our govt kept the homeless away from public eyes.
yeobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
That's the impression we used to believe. There's no beggar, no homeless people, there is a particular Lee Xian Lang said smthg abt a home for every Singaporean.

I was walking along Tras St towards Enggor St to get my car before midnight, when a middle age tall man approached me with an elder lady. He asked me if I could give them a meal, from 7-11 will do. They didn't ask for money, but just a meal.

After getting them 2 packs of hot fried rice from e mamak off Lim Teck Kim Rd, I had a brief conversation with the man. I didn't want to probe why he and his mother is homeless. I only asked him if he had approached the authorities for some assistance.

He said he had approached the MP and will meet the MP again next friday. Till then, they are homeless, sleeping in some staircase landing or bench around e HDB area there. I told him to approach the RC or something, so perhaps they can assist them a little bit.

I like to ask, those around this area in the coming days, keep a look out for a worn out looking middle age tall man (at least 1.75m) with an elder lady (his mother). Off them some hot food and drinks. Help them tide over these few days till they do get some help from the authorities. Let's do a little we can, please.

All the big gala charity events and giving money here and there... nothing beats helping someone in real dire straits.

gc, good on you for the compassion.

you have had done good things; unsung hero

Last edited by streetsmart73; 13-01-2014 at 10:06 AM.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
dzylim
Arofanatic

Bro GC. i have lost faith in our government's social services totally. we can refer them to any and all of them and they will still be asked to wait. and go through interview and wait again and interview again. They will not lift a finger until the issue takes the limelight.

Still Kudos to you for helping them.
dzylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
globalcookie
Dragon

Thank you bros. I'm 100% sure all of you would have done likewise. This mother/son looks too geinuine (they didn't even ask for a cent). There were other times that I was approached for $2, and one other time, I offered to buy him dinner, the guy just gave excuses and than said it's ok, too inconvenient for me. CRAP!

Our gov, I seriously affirm, needs to change. MOST PAP MPs are heartless. They don't give a shit about us. Wayang number 1!

Nvm, my grouse aside. I seriously hope this mother/son found a shelter already. It just reinforce my habit of not wasting food and appreciating the little joys in life.

Last edited by globalcookie; 13-01-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 13-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Thank you bros. I'm 100% sure all of you would have done likewise. This mother/son looks too geinuine (they didn't even ask for a cent). There were other times that I was approached for $2, and one other time, I offered to buy him dinner, the guy just gave excuses and than said it's ok, too inconvenient for me. CRAP!
You are not alone. These ppl who approach for $2 for lunch or dinner and dun wan your offer of dinner are only beggars or ...

There are genuine cases who will receive your help. I had brought dinner for 1 indian chap, at Potong pasir area, who ask me for money to buy dinner. He sat down to eat happily and thank me for the meal after that. There was another who ask for money for hair cut. I just bring him to the barber and pay to amount and ask the uncle give him a good cut. Also ask uncle not to refund if he dun cut.

There is a charity organisation which specific the brand of donation you can contribute to them. Not this brand, they dun accept. I wonder what is the difference, a packet of rice is a packet of rice no matter what the brand is.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

It will only get worse with the skyrocketting prices and rising unemployment.
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote