Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 05-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #71
canopy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak85 View Post
What application? ?? Most accurate.. with base or without base??

local usage or bringing along oversea?? what is accurate to u?? Centimeter? Decimeter? Sub meter? Sub foot? need real time or post process??
more for getting the locations and mapping the locations to google map. problems is during those remote area and small road, the reading could be out abt 3-4m, i know garmin have one but they dun sell in singapore.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #72
hobbyist
User Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosoonhee View Post
Then they shouldnt implement a system which is not stable or accurate in the first place....i really dunno what is going on in their heads...
not true. currently the car rental companies already have this pay-by-distance technology. I rent car for many years and it is accurate as this is to calculate petrol charging.

Taxi also by distance and seconds. Now government implement this - only charged by distance and not seconds, so taxi companies are bigger sharks than government ?

Best is don't own car, ask friends to drive you around and you can laugh at your friends instead of complaining.
hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #73
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
Zhun Zhun for them to charge us extras... Dun forget there will be errors in any system.
Errors sure to have, but what's the percentage? Like our ERP system, if anyone recall, there was once, where motorist were charged wrongly (not suppose to charge, but money were deducted). LTA issued a news report asking motorist to go visit their office for refund and pay them extra maybe $10 for the mistake.

I believe this new ERP system they are intending to implement, will be about 99% accurate. But the system means they can implement ERP charges conveniently and speedily.

I don't think this overhaul is simply because the current system is 20yrs old, but the cost to implement new ERP gantry, some limitations, etc. Yes, it is outdated, because it is charging based on entry point. With the new system, it allows them a lot of flexibility to adjust this adjust that, to implement swiftly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyist View Post
not true. currently the car rental companies already have this pay-by-distance technology. I rent car for many years and it is accurate as this is to calculate petrol charging.

Taxi also by distance and seconds.

Best is don't own car, ask friends to drive you around and you can laugh at your friends instead of complaining.
Car rental and taxi, are they using the car's existing speedometer system to calculate mileage?

And to ask friends to drive you around, yet laugh at them? Luckily you are not my friend.

My friends, luckily for me, a few friends will rather take public transport than trouble those who drive. And when I don't drive and a few times they sent me home, I'll ask them to drop me by the bus stop and I walk in, rather than trouble them to detour 1 big round into my area carpark. This is call, 'zi tong' and appreciating friends, not take advantage and laugh at them.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #74
freak85
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
can mm accuracy be used for moving vehicles?
what is the system used for house surveying? eg dpgs,rtk, etc?
I doubt there a need for mm accuracy for vehicle. But yes it can be achieve. There is a system called vrs which in singapoee its call sirent.

check out sla website for more information.

house survey involved various method. Nowadays used rtk instead of dgps. An6thing within 30 mm compare to old data will be ignore. Meaning the isn markers will still be used.
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #75
freak85
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
more for getting the locations and mapping the locations to google map. problems is during those remote area and small road, the reading could be out abt 3-4m, i know garmin have one but they dun sell in singapore.
Get those mm level one lo.. www.trimble.com for their products then look uhder survey instead of mgis products.

You can subscribe to sla sirent program for better correction which you do not have to do post processing.

Then export to kml format you will get your google earth already. Garmin is the lousiest product for such application.
freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #76
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureman View Post
Think everyone will wish for dark cloud everyday as GPS can't connect to satellites very well in this weather so shall see more traffic in bad weather conditions.

honest, that could be possible, electronics do fail at times
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #77
richardg
Arofanatic

Default New ERP system 
will draw on tech advances, lower cost

joyfangz@mediacorp.com.sg

Saturday, 18 October 2014

SINGAPORE — By 2020, when the new Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system using satellite positioning technology is in place, it will be about two decades since the idea of a “next-generation” ERP system was first mooted here by the authorities.

Over that period, the accuracy of the Global Positioning System (GPS) has improved tremendously, making it viable for implementation. Government tests in 2006 showed the margin of error in certain areas was up to 50m. Today, sub-metre accuracy is attainable, industry players told TODAY.

The maturing of technology also means that such systems are now less costly. However, some limitations — such as reduced accuracy due to an urbanised landscape — still have to be overcome, said experts.

Tapping on satellites for road pricing is an idea the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has been exploring for years. In 2006, the LTA tested the accuracy of the GPS as a means of electronically collecting toll fares, but the large margin of error was a major issue. A trial in 2007 found that the accuracy of satellite tracking in open areas, such as highways, was above 90 per cent. However, in the city centre, this figure was only around 30 per cent. When it called for a system-evaluation test in June 2011, the LTA cautioned that a new generation ERP system was “still some years away”.

After an 18-month trial that concluded in December 2012, in which four consortia submitted proposals after having undertaken various test solutions, the LTA announced early this month that such a system is finally technologically feasible.

A tender has been called, shortlisting three companies to develop a second-generation ERP system based on Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) technology, which uses satellites to pinpoint a user’s geographic location.

Mr Andrew Chow, president of ST Electronics (Info-Comm Systems), one of the shortlisted companies, pointed out that GPS accuracy has improved from 15m in the past to about 3m to 5m today.

Moreover, sub-metre accuracy can be achieved using augmented technologies. For example, a device can be installed to transmit a pulse from a fixed location to aid navigation, a technique known as beaconing.

A person’s position can also be ascertained through dead reckoning, which uses the person’s previously determined position to pinpoint where he moved to, based on his estimated speed over the elapsed time and course.

Mr Pankaj Lunia, IBM Singapore’s ASEAN industry leader for Intelligent Transportation and Public Safety, said GPS-based navigation was originally meant for military purposes, hence developments to improve accuracy for commercial use was limited due to military restrictions.

But the development of open and non-proprietary technologies over the past decade or so has contributed to reducing costs significantly.

There are also more satellites now than before. “The more visible you are to a greater number of satellites (the more it) improves the accuracy of your calculated position ... A minimum of four satellites are required to ensure reasonable accuracy,” he said.

As of December 2012, there were 36 satellites forming a GPS constellation, which means that about nine satellites are visible from any given place on earth at any point in time, he added.

Challenges remain — GPS signals are often unavailable in expressway tunnels, underground car parks or multi-storey car parks, or have reduced accuracy due to signals bouncing off tall buildings, in what is known as an “urban canyon”.

But experts say ground-based systems can be used as well to ensure position accuracy. For example, smartphone users can use a Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth to improve location accuracy, said Mr Lunia.

Dr Park Byung-joon, an urban transport management expert at SIM University, said the challenges are surmountable if the right investments are made.

“If you solely base (data) on satellite systems, the error figure can be quite huge ... but now, we have more satellites covering and also the ground-based augmentation systems are very well developed,” he said.

For example, more relay antennas could be installed, but it would be costly. “If we want, it can be as accurate as 10cm,” he said. “The technology for making it as accurate as possible is there; the question is whether we’ll be willing to pay the price to have them.”

As for privacy concerns, experts say this is not an issue. With the advancements in technology, firms are able to “completely anonymise the geo-location data to ensure people’s privacy”, said Mr Lunia.

Mr Chow added: “In today’s context, it is no different from turning on the GPS positioning on your smartphone or using location-based services from the various telco operators.”
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #78
hkh
Arofanatic

So will cheaper installation costs for garment means cheaper ERP for us ?? I doubt.......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #79
hosoonhee
Dragon

Since the implementation of ERP, does it help in reducing the congestion? Or is it the widening of roads help...might as well spend more time and effort on planning better roads and widen more roads..
hosoonhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #80
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosoonhee View Post
Since the implementation of ERP, does it help in reducing the congestion? Or is it the widening of roads help...might as well spend more time and effort on planning better roads and widen more roads..
All for the sake of 6.9M people........
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote