Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
terch

Default Moving tanks

Hi all,

I am going to move to a new place. I have a 4 foot juwel tank with a southamerican biotope with cardinals. The tank is very stable and needs minimal care. It is 4 years old.

Does anyone know I can move such a setup without having to destroy the whole setup & start over?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Terch
Old 05-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terch View Post
Hi all,

I am going to move to a new place. I have a 4 foot juwel tank with a southamerican biotope with cardinals. The tank is very stable and needs minimal care. It is 4 years old.

Does anyone know I can move such a setup without having to destroy the whole setup & start over?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Terch
i dont think there is a way to move your tank without tearing it down.
too heavy for your tank glass to support the water and sand.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Y0uH0

i would agree that you should just tear the setup down and move it..movng the setup with all the water inside will just end up stiirring up the substrate thus making the water cloudy..at the same time...in the process of moving like that, i am sure that your fauna in the tank would be subjected to enormous amounts of stress and may die in the process.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
sheng
Dragon

if u are at lift level, think u can just pump out all water then move the tank
sheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
RBT

Tank with water is very heavy.Better ask those movers to advise.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Shadow7
Senior Dragon

No harm asking tank movers to come up ur place for advise but IMHO i think it's way too heavy to move it with all the water and the sand inside
Shadow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
elimmel
Senior Dragon

pump out most of the water and store it.
scoop out fish. get tank movers to move tank to new place.
hook everything back up and use back old water. let things settle for a while then do a water change. 4 yr old substrate would have a lot of nasty buildup that will be stirred up during the move. add water conditioner like seachem prime. once WC done, put back fish but also increase aeration for a few days. move done.

all must be done quickly within 1-2hrs to prevent excessive loss of BB in the filter.
get a tank mover and should be a breeze since your tank size is not too big and you do not have sensitive fauna like shrimps. large cardinals are pretty tough.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
AngryMan
Senior Dragon

Default Moving

I doubt you able to maintain what you want. Anyway no harm telling the movers what you want and see what are the advise they able offer.
AngryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
terch

Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Will take down tank as my next tank will need to have the see through layout. This is to be done in 1 year's time when I move back after the reno.

I am going to take it down tomorrow, wash the substrate and the fish will be given to my sister's tank.

Pity to take it down as my tank is very balanced. I do not need to change water at all and haven't done it in 2 years.

All I do is top the water up.

Thanks

TC
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Boesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terch View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Will take down tank as my next tank will need to have the see through layout. This is to be done in 1 year's time when I move back after the reno.

I am going to take it down tomorrow, wash the substrate and the fish will be given to my sister's tank.

Pity to take it down as my tank is very balanced. I do not need to change water at all and haven't done it in 2 years.

All I do is top the water up.

Thanks

TC
Wow. Really power. No water change for the last 2 years. Just curious how many cardinals you are keeping in your tank and how many time you feed them a day ? Is it a heavily planted tank ?