Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
alanng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by limchongyu View Post
In case you want to see how my moss wall looks like, i've a picture of it in my gallery.
Pardon my lousy photography skills
thanks.. seen..
alanng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
alanng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfsk View Post
I used to do moss wall using acrylic sheet as the back and plstic mesh as the front cover.

I used acrylic sheet because they stick to the tank wall, so critters won't get trapped. BTW, acrylic sheet can just get the thinnest type, maybe just 1mm. It's cheaper and easier to cut into shape too.
oh.. thanks. that mean have to drill holes on the acrylic so to tie the plastic mesh together with the acrylic?
no need rubber stickers? to stick the acrylic on the glass?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
limchongyu
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanng View Post
oh..thanks bro, how much the plstic mesh cost? isit the same as i see in c328?

I forgot about the cost. Its less than $10 for 4ft. I didn't really notice the plastic mesh in c328 but it should be the same.
If i'm not wrong it comes in other colours like black too.
limchongyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
carlfsk

Hi Alan

yup, you got to drill some holes on the acrylic sheet. The holes maybe is about 2-3inches apart.

Can use the wire gauze, cut it into square shape about 2inch by 2inch. Pull out each single pc of wire from it and use it to secure the plastic mesh to the acrylic sheet through the holes that you drilled.

When all done, with the moss and mesh tied to the acrylic sheet, just slot the bottom part in between the soil and the glass wall. As for the top part, if the tank is high, the acrylic sheet tends fall down or slanting at an angle. To keep it stick to the wall, maybe can use a clip to clip it or a little bit of silicon to stick it the the top edge of the tank wall. A little silicon will do.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #15
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
A good site:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...Moss_Wall.html

Some brief discussion but the link in the thread was broken:
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169588

-Calvin
Thanks! What is the moss use by Mr Loh Kwek Leong in the How to Grow a Moss Wall article??
Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
genes

I used Christmas Moss the last time. Very good effects with their big christmas fond shape.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
alanng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by limchongyu View Post
I forgot about the cost. Its less than $10 for 4ft. I didn't really notice the plastic mesh in c328 but it should be the same.
If i'm not wrong it comes in other colours like black too.
$3.5 for a foot? my tank is 3 feet, that means i have to get 6 feet of plastic mesh? what is the advisable colour? meaning not too outstanding after the moss have grown out?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
alanng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfsk View Post
Hi Alan

yup, you got to drill some holes on the acrylic sheet. The holes maybe is about 2-3inches apart.

Can use the wire gauze, cut it into square shape about 2inch by 2inch. Pull out each single pc of wire from it and use it to secure the plastic mesh to the acrylic sheet through the holes that you drilled.

When all done, with the moss and mesh tied to the acrylic sheet, just slot the bottom part in between the soil and the glass wall. As for the top part, if the tank is high, the acrylic sheet tends fall down or slanting at an angle. To keep it stick to the wall, maybe can use a clip to clip it or a little bit of silicon to stick it the the top edge of the tank wall. A little silicon will do.
oh... any idea where to get the acrylic? i am comparing which one need lesser burget..
Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #19
alanng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by genes View Post
I used Christmas Moss the last time. Very good effects with their big christmas fond shape.
hmmm.. chirstmas or spiky moss?? which one slower grown and lesser effort to trim?

now is there trianglar moss? last time use to seen them use as the moss wall, turn out to be fanastic, but i think that moss need low tempertaure. but is there any LFS selling? i have tried NA and and a few LFS no luck in it.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
alanng
Dragon

hmmm.. any idea how many tubs of moss i need to get for 3 footer moss wall?