Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
Lobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsfpl View Post
Here is my water parameters for keeping white crayfish

pH more than 7 less than 8
temperature 29 degree celsius
ammonia 0
nitrite 0

is it true that crayfish prefer alkaline water?
is aquarium salt necessary for keeping white crayfish?
if so how much salt should i add?

anyone knows the ideal water parameters for white crayfish?
thanks in advance
I noted that if crays are kept in too acidic water, they seem to be more prone to moulting problems or shell rot. I believe a neutral or slightly alkaline reading would be fine.

Old 16-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
weixiong80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterman View Post
I second that... the ice cube method will cause too much temperature fluctuations.
so far the orange cray is doing quite well. manage to make half the tank his, that lil bugger. and my tank is a bit yellowish due to the fertilizer for the taiwan moss i put inside once a week. wanted to buy a plastic mesh to make it into a wall as a back drop ^^

i intend to change the water of the tank to cycled water......wanted to see if that will do any good or not as my water are normally left overnight to dechlorinate after which when i do WC(30-50 %) i will add in a few drops of the dechlorinator as well.........trying to max out my 30cm tank ^^
wanted to get a 60cm one but was rejected with a warning!!! so better dont take anymore chances in case my crays went down the chute............

most likely going to c384 on sat ^^

Old 16-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #23
Lobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weixiong80 View Post
so far the orange cray is doing quite well. manage to make half the tank his, that lil bugger. and my tank is a bit yellowish due to the fertilizer for the taiwan moss i put inside once a week. wanted to buy a plastic mesh to make it into a wall as a back drop ^^

i intend to change the water of the tank to cycled water......wanted to see if that will do any good or not as my water are normally left overnight to dechlorinate after which when i do WC(30-50 %) i will add in a few drops of the dechlorinator as well.........trying to max out my 30cm tank ^^
wanted to get a 60cm one but was rejected with a warning!!! so better dont take anymore chances in case my crays went down the chute............

most likely going to c384 on sat ^^
Maybe we can all organize a meetup soon?

Old 16-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
dnsfpl
Dragon

Quote:
I noted that if crays are kept in too acidic water, they seem to be more prone to moulting problems or shell rot. I believe a neutral or slightly alkaline reading would be fine.
is the temperature too warm for white crayfish?
how about salt, is it necessary?

thanks
Old 16-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #25
weixiong80

Quote:
is the temperature too warm for white crayfish?
how about salt, is it necessary?

thanks
ermmm when i bought that pump/filter it came with a small sachet of salt i think. those quite big kind and i did drop on inside. nothing happen though and i did not use it after liao coz since crays are freshwater so should not be having too much salt bah. plus whenever there is mention of salt bath for cray, normally it is advisable to limit to 10mins? so i think salt really not impt for a cray tank.

Old 16-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #26
weixiong80

Quote:
Maybe we can all organize a meetup soon?
heh heh heh an exchange session of tips and tricks. how nice juz beside 384 there is a kopitiam ^^
prob need to bring a notepad along as well.......to take down notes on the various discussions on types of crays ^^

Old 16-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #27
dnsfpl
Dragon

Quote:
ermmm when i bought that pump/filter it came with a small sachet of salt i think. those quite big kind and i did drop on inside. nothing happen though and i did not use it after liao coz since crays are freshwater so should not be having too much salt bah. plus whenever there is mention of salt bath for cray, normally it is advisable to limit to 10mins? so i think salt really not impt for a cray tank.
noted thanks

i intend to use water bottle as substitute for pvc pipe
should i cut both side or 1 side will do?
paiseh ah so many questions haha

thanks
Old 16-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #28
xaine
Dragon

use drink bottles...i like that readily available resource.
Cut both sides, so that the cray can "escape" from being pursuit.

Here's an archive of my old junk tank....haha
Old 16-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #29
Gus
Dragon

Bro

Just put in sunken log for them to hide and with good filteration ensure got at least 1male 2female they willl start to breed liao.

(Let nature take it cause)

Quote:
noted thanks

i intend to use water bottle as substitute for pvc pipe
should i cut both side or 1 side will do?
paiseh ah so many questions haha

thanks
Old 16-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #30
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
salt shouldn't be a necessity. salt baths are only when you first brought back from unknown origin, it help kills the bacteria living on it's exterior. 10mins is enough.
Closed Thread