Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
firstboy

Question What plants recommended for fancy guppies?

Hi All,

I am getting some fishes from bro Angelo, so I plan to put some floating plants in the tank to make the fish more comfortable. Been keeping fishes (bettas, tetras, cheap guppies). I must say Bettas just don't die.

Recently my kids went to bottle tree park and came back with a bunch of sick fishes fished from their longkang (for a fee). All those died after i came back from China. Anyway, i have put chlorox (with water to the brim) in the tank for a day. Washed with magic sponge and now soaking with large amount of antichlorine and water. Should be ready for the new fish this weekend.

So what floating plants should I get for the guppies. These are fancy guppies with big tail. Java fern? I have not been successful keeping java fern to be honest. They died on me in many occasions. Please help suggest. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
MiyukiRei
Dragon

Hi bro . for me i keep guppies with those $1 plants from lfs. I don't know the name of it but you can have a peak of the plant at the left side from here
http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498254

Actually the main thing for keeping fishes is ensuring the water parameter. If ur water good. can keep any fish. I don't use any aeration or filtration but i do provide my guppies with ample space and regular water top ups and water changes.
MiyukiRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
kaner

Are you planning any lightening for the plants? For beautifying your tank or for the guppies to play? You can exclude any plants actually.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
firstboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyukiRei View Post
Hi bro . for me i keep guppies with those $1 plants from lfs. I don't know the name of it but you can have a peak of the plant at the left side from here

Actually the main thing for keeping fishes is ensuring the water parameter. If ur water good. can keep any fish. I don't use any aeration or filtration but i do provide my guppies with ample space and regular water top ups and water changes.
Not too sure what plants that is. But will look out for it if I need more plants. I used to keep half moon betta so I learnt a little bit about water condition. But only at introductory level. For the guppies, will probably change water every 2 days. The plants is there to help remove excess nitrate or whatever. I also will put in a bit of plant food with microbes and super-bio bacteria after every water change. Read some articles here about baking sode and pH level. Will probably try adding some baking soda. But I will probably not add any salt. Is salt necessary? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
firstboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
Are you planning any lightening for the plants? For beautifying your tank or for the guppies to play? You can exclude any plants actually.
I have lights for one of the tank. The plants are more for stabilizing the nitrate levels. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstboy View Post
Not too sure what plants that is. But will look out for it if I need more plants. I used to keep half moon betta so I learnt a little bit about water condition. But only at introductory level. For the guppies, will probably change water every 2 days. The plants is there to help remove excess nitrate or whatever. I also will put in a bit of plant food with microbes and super-bio bacteria after every water change. Read some articles here about baking sode and pH level. Will probably try adding some baking soda. But I will probably not add any salt. Is salt necessary? Thanks.
If you every 2 day change water. No need for you to add plants
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
cartoon
Dragon

Hi bro first boy,
Welcome to guppying.
For aquatic plant, they need adequate lights (7k). As for fern, it's a low tech plant. Just need some fertilizer liquid & sufficient lighting will do. U can try hortwort, it's a great plant too. Can b planted, tie to a weight or simply just throw in.
Plants may help in water parameter if u take care of them well but if u dun, it will destroy the water.
Good luck & have fun.

Last edited by cartoon; 07-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
firstboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ircknight View Post
If you every 2 day change water. No need for you to add plants
Maybe I change less water if got plants. Not sure yet. Water now days are very expensive.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
firstboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon View Post
Hi bro first boy,
Welcome to guppying.
For aquatic plant, they need adequate lights (7k). As for fern, it's a low tech plant. Just need some fertilizer liquid & sufficient lighting will do. U can try hortwort, it's a great plant too. Can b planted, tie to a weight or simply just throw in.
Plants may help in water parameter if u take care of them well but if u dun, it will destroy the water.
Good luck & have fun.

I have lights for them. Maybe i should get new ones. The current ones are blindingly bright. My current lamp is a 24W 10,000K. Is 10,000K good for plants? Could it be the reason why my java fern all died cause wrong lights or got burnt by the intensity? Just in case you needed to know, I keep the fishes in a big gold fish bowl. Cheers.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
cartoon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstboy View Post
I have lights for them. Maybe i should get new ones. The current ones are blindingly bright. My current lamp is a 24W 10,000K. Is 10,000K good for plants? Could it be the reason why my java fern all died cause wrong lights or got burnt by the intensity? Just in case you needed to know, I keep the fishes in a big gold fish bowl. Cheers.
10k is fine for the plant.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote