Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 22-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #41
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
i'm just sharing like boss uluaking is doing.

coral chips can act as bio media and it leaches calcium carbonate which buffers the hardness of the water and consequently your pH. Biohome acts as a bio media too. Both these media increase the efficiency and capacity of the filter, but the end product of the nitrogen cycle, nitrates, aren't easily removed (lots of plants and industrial sized denitrators aside) except for water changes.
Thanks, so I guess the only and faster way is to do more water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluaking View Post
Depends on areas..... use Storage water rather than tap water..... if you dont have any storage water.... best 20% or lesser ..... cos chlorine kills .... water changing is best come with a good Anti-chlorine solution
Thanks for clarifying, currently doing about 30% twice weekly, thinking want to increase or not.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #42
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc View Post
*btw- u hiring? im gonna b jobless soon.... wan banglaMC do w/C n feedg n packing?
i can't afford you leh, boss. better i quit my job and do it myself.
cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #43
reddevil79
Arofanatic

This is a great thread. Managed to read up so much info on ray keeping. will be looking to start keeping them once get yr end bonus
reddevil79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #44
swat1991

Thanks to all who shared useful and good info about ray-keeping! Reading through these threads helped me alot in ray-keeping. Thumbs Up!
Old 23-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #45
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTribal View Post
Hw big is ur rays? make sure the cut mps are smaller than the ray's mouth. Since they hunting live means they are healthy, let them finish the feeders in the tank then stop putting anymore live feeders in tank.

Pups are generally quite easier to train mp diet, however there will be some stubborn ones. Since u hav 2 rays, so as long one of them start to eat mp the other will most likely to follow suit. First 1 - 3 days they may starve a little, tat's common ... juz be patient.

Any small to medium prawns is fine, most import is fresh then portion it to a few servings (3 - 4 servings recommended) keep in fridge, the rest in freezer. Tis is assuming u feed twice a day for ur pups. I feed my rays & aros frozen tiger prawns.

Note: make sure they hav a hump on the back fm the previous last fed meal before commencing mp training. If u think rays are too skinny top & underbelly, it's best to bulk them up a little first.

Spent some time whenever free to observe them & their routine. They will aso recog the owner and know food is coming Mine will all fly up whenever I approached the tank wif food tray, even those resting on the bottom.
thanks for the info. my pair are pups, still quite small, approx 5" and on a diet of FBW + feeder catfishes. i tried throwing in small pieces of mp but they are simply disinterested... but when i throw in the catfishes, they start hunting and feeding like mad... im feeding only once a day at night.

hhmm... im using those prepacked deshelled small prawns, rather than tiger prawns. does it make any difference? my 5" IT ate it but the 8" and 4" ITs did not. im thinking that the type of prawns may be a key factor...

any minimum size criteria before starting mp training?

btw, i just wana get some feedback: im running a eheim 2260 for a 622 tank. lifestock includes 2 motoro ray pups, 3 ITs (3", 4", 8"), 2 FF (5", 7"), intending to get some red aros. how many aros shld i put in? i feel that a secondary cannister would be better, any suggestion which model? i cannot put ohf cos of the hood...

Last edited by issacyeo; 23-11-2010 at 09:03 AM.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #46
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

i got a ques, will too much anti chlorine have any effect on rays???
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #47
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
thanks for the info. my pair are pups, still quite small, approx 5" and on a diet of FBW + feeder catfishes. i tried throwing in small pieces of mp but they are simply disinterested... but when i throw in the catfishes, they start hunting and feeding like mad... im feeding only once a day at night.

hhmm... im using those prepacked deshelled small prawns, rather than tiger prawns. does it make any difference? my 5" IT ate it but the 8" and 4" ITs did not. im thinking that the type of prawns may be a key factor...

btw, i just wana get some feedback: im running a eheim 2260 for a 622 tank. lifestock includes 2 motoro ray pups, 3 ITs (3", 4", 8"), 2 FF (5", 7"), intending to get some red aros. how many aros shld i put in? i feel that a secondary cannister would be better, any suggestion which model? i cannot put ohf cos of the hood...
eh sorry, i just realised that this is the ray forum... was multi-reading different forums... sorry if this is considered off-topic... just a newbie who requires all the help he can get

Last edited by issacyeo; 23-11-2010 at 12:26 PM.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #48
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post

Remember 1 Ray = 3 Aros bioload..... u can put as much fish as possible in your tank but do make sure your filtration can support and more strict practice of maintenance is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
i got a ques, will too much anti chlorine have any effect on rays???
No it will not have any negative effect if you put more....
Old 24-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #49
aro.utd

Thanks for all the important info about rays keeping. Newbie...
Old 24-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #50
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
50% water change will not be too much?
*touchWood* so farrrr so good
Thnks to a v stable bioFiltration
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote