Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 24-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #21
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollsir View Post
[IMG=http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4879/tankm.th.png][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i have attatch my tank the amount of CR and biohome etc.. So another question is if i shall put CC inside .

CC should put on top of the biohome ?which i always do so.

or CC should put at the pump compartment??

My 2 tier of 5ft tank both using the same media like that.It was done by a tankmaker a few years bk so should be ok ?
Main thing is that the location where you put your CC/OS should have some current flow. Most forummers here, I observe, place them in the pump compartment, so no issues there. Easier to remove for top-up/removal in case you want to adjust your buffering media quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollsir View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

infact my system the biohome and CR and pump compartment always fill the most is abt 60-70% water as guided by the ppl which make my tank.But every few days i have to top up water to enable the pump to have enough water to pump up.Therefore do u guys always top up water also put anti chlorine?? I did put but hor i find it very "Siong"

Thats y i thought of a way,i have attatch a fountain setup photo,inside the fountain no fish no plants.ONLy just water,i was thinking is it ok to use the water there to top up my fish tank so i dun have to top up fresh tap water and put anti chlorine.. cos last time ppl use age tap water to remove chlorine.Do u think k work?

And last question is CR k reuse even after 5 years?cos i dunno i go throw away.How abt CC?k use how long?
Topping up of water should be accompanied by the addition of water conditioners, ie Anti-Chloramine, etc. If your top-up quite a lot, not adding water conditioners can cause some of your BBs to die off due to the presence of anti-chloramines in the new water.

Your idea of using the fountain water to top-up sounds good. But do ensure that the water in there doesn't contain unnecessary chemicals that can leech off from your pond lining/paint/decor and stuff. That pond of yours looks like a nice place to throw some guppies in!

As for your last question, I think I will leave the more senior bros here to answer, since I haven't been in this hobby long enough to have used medias for 5yrs or more. From what I have read in this forum and others as well, I have read that some bio-medias, CRs and others included, can last very long, esp the branded ones. A colleague of mine, who has been keeping fishes for quite a while, swears by Mr. Aqua's CRs. It was his influence that convinced me to go for a full CR bio-media setup, although I don't discount switching bio-medias in the future, since I like to try out different stuff to find what works and what doesn't. Having said that, it is entirely up to your own research and budget and filtration needs that you need to consider. The bottom line is, if you already have something that works, why change it?

Hope this helps somewhat! Cheers!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiromancer View Post
Sorry to go off topic a bit, but how effective is the 70/30 ratio for bh/cr? I currently have quite a lot of CR, Bacteria House but no Biohome. Was wondering if I should get?
if ur water parameters are good, no need to change or add.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #23
FanAromatic
Dragon

If you are setting up fountain and use the fountain water, suggest to put a few small fishes to prevent mosquito breeding. Yes, is a good idea to have fountain, if you have space, beside using the water, you can beautify your place too.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #24
dollsir

Thanks all for the great advice..

Anyway today I just measure

Reading:
Ph-8
no2-0.3mg
No3-abt 0-5 mg
Ammonia -2 mg

I am using all sera brand to measure.

Inside I have put 3 MP to rot to cycle. So must I put more ?? So that the ammonia will rise more
Old 26-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #25
dollsir

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post
If you are setting up fountain and use the fountain water, suggest to put a few small fishes to prevent mosquito breeding. Yes, is a good idea to have fountain, if you have space, beside using the water, you can beautify your place too.
I have already set up the fountain as per my pic. Cannot put fish lo due to fengshui. But will have mosquito breeding meh? Cos the water not still the 3 outlet keep pump water out like Merlion.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #26
dollsir

From no CC the ph is 5 . After put cc is ph 8. So I take out some cc correct??? And once the ammonia and NO2 is 0 . And PH at 6.5-7 which is my desire ph for my red Aro, really no need WC k put the Aro inside?? And if no WC after put fish , after 1 week WC 30% ok??