Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 30-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
TOM32
Dragon

Dosing into filter is good way but will the high concentration disturbs the bb in the filter system? When we notice a ray is under stress/sick, what is the best/safe method to save them.

Regards
TOM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
liquidnoise

so far I am lucky as no rays died on me b4. But I notice a change when the filter is choked.
Now I am taking alot of precaution. this are what I am doing on my latest purchases.
1. Do 10 - 15 % water change every 2 days
2. Use 2 filteration system just in case 1 get choked.
3. Leave 2 pail of water to age in the morning for WC and use a little water condition and salt before pouring in.
4. pour in slowly so as not to be too much current.
5. once the worms gone I will throw in a few handful. Also feeder shrimps and torsat. Make sure always there is food.
Old 30-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
TOM32
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnoise View Post
so far I am lucky as no rays died on me b4. But I notice a change when the filter is choked.
Now I am taking alot of precaution. this are what I am doing on my latest purchases.
1. Do 10 - 15 % water change every 2 days
2. Use 2 filteration system just in case 1 get choked.
3. Leave 2 pail of water to age in the morning for WC and use a little water condition and salt before pouring in.
4. pour in slowly so as not to be too much current.
5. once the worms gone I will throw in a few handful. Also feeder shrimps and torsat. Make sure always there is food.
What the term "worms" do you mean?
Can elaborate amount of salt you add - percentage

Regards
Old 30-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM32 View Post
Dosing into filter is good way but will the high concentration disturbs the bb in the filter system? When we notice a ray is under stress/sick, what is the best/safe method to save them.

Regards
i dose the anti-chlorine (stress coat - API) into the main tank during topping up from tap water - normally a little more. also add 1 table spoon of salt for every 50L water changed (<0.1%). salt normally put in the last comp of sump. every 2-3 weeks put 1 sachet of K-leaf (small)

for stressed/sick rays, i will isolate them and not disturb them, except during feeding. cover the top, so its dark for them. wc 10-15% every other day. ensure water quality is very good.

naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
liquidnoise

Quote:
What the term "worms" do you mean?
Can elaborate amount of salt you add - percentage

Regards
ang hoon. tubifex worm.
abt six soup spoon of salt.
Old 30-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
TOM32
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naser90096 View Post
i dose the anti-chlorine (stress coat - API) into the main tank during topping up from tap water - normally a little more. also add 1 table spoon of salt for every 50L water changed (<0.1%). salt normally put in the last comp of sump. every 2-3 weeks put 1 sachet of K-leaf (small)

for stressed/sick rays, i will isolate them and not disturb them, except during feeding. cover the top, so its dark for them. wc 10-15% every other day. ensure water quality is very good.
Thanks for the info brother, last night i transferred my newly bought stressed tiger into a tub.....next morning up the lorry. I noticed there are some brown brown markings on the disc...and some tiny white bite marks. Not sure if i would not touch it and let him recover in the fgt...will he survived a day longer

Regards
Old 30-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Hello Brothers/Sisters

I believe most ray hobbyists will have encountered ray casualty. What has actually caused the death of a ray ....and how can we prevent it . Any brother/sister would like to share your experience and knowledge. Let's us discuss........pls hor, may not necessary be a ONE right
answer/cause.

For me

1. Forcing ray to eat mp......die of hunger
We should let ray eat what they like till they are stable. Convert them
to mp with close attention [especially pups / newly arrived rays ]

2. Filter pump stop/choked......die of infection...notice black rays are more sensitive.
Check filter mediums more often.

3. Buying unstable ray direct from farm.....die of hunger/condition change
Make sure farm feed ray and ray eat infront of you...... then buy.
Climatise your ray into your tank slowly - make sure water is cycled.

4. Putting too many live prawns or torsas at one time....die of injuries from bites/infection - usually pups and young rays.
We should only throw in "feeders" what is enough for a day or two.
This will prevent feeders feeding on ray's skin. Pup/young rays..tubiflex.

You may agree or not agree. Let's here your views.

Regards
for me is buy rays that eat in front of u first priority,then proceed to next topic
1)bag the ray only when they are not so traumatized after a long journey to singapore(best is locally bred)
2)climatized slowly by adding new location water to the bag,if u hv patience,the slower the better
3)the new environment hopefully is free from other possible attacker(eg sucker,ff,etc)
4)train them to take mp slowly,if the ray is stubborn,revert back to whatever he like best,pump him up,then start the mp training again
5)assuming everything go smoothly,then feeding the ray once per day as much as possible is good enough
6)i personally dont believe in putting excess live feeder/tosat around,is dangerous as the water may foul if feeder not healthy
7)finally all species of ray for my case,DONT expect them to growth by 1''/mth,is almost impossible.a healthy ray with good feeding probably can acheive 1/2'' per mth more appropriate
8)finally careful of ph fluctuation when bio-load increases or bec of rainwater especially outdoor pond.

HAPPY RAY KEEPING
RELAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
TOM32
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
for me is buy rays that eat in front of u first priority,then proceed to next topic
1)bag the ray only when they are not so traumatized after a long journey to singapore(best is locally bred)
2)climatized slowly by adding new location water to the bag,if u hv patience,the slower the better
3)the new environment hopefully is free from other possible attacker(eg sucker,ff,etc)
4)train them to take mp slowly,if the ray is stubborn,revert back to whatever he like best,pump him up,then start the mp training again
5)assuming everything go smoothly,then feeding the ray once per day as much as possible is good enough
6)i personally dont believe in putting excess live feeder/tosat around,is dangerous as the water may foul if feeder not healthy
7)finally all species of ray for my case,DONT expect them to growth by 1''/mth,is almost impossible.a healthy ray with good feeding probably can acheive 1/2'' per mth more appropriate
8)finally careful of ph fluctuation when bio-load increases or bec of rainwater especially outdoor pond.

HAPPY RAY KEEPING
Brother

Very informative. Do we need to care mixing of difference/size of ray?
Will this cause ray casualty like big attack small or agressive type attacking weaker one?

Regards
Old 30-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Brother

Very informative. Do we need to care mixing of difference/size of ray?
Will this cause ray casualty like big attack small or agressive type attacking weaker one?

Regards
different species no problem,except sakura/tiger etc,a bit slow in food hunting.
so far only one danger to breeder/hobblists if the breeding fgt/pond is small.horny male can/will kill off another horny male if no space to run.this is instinct,i hv two adult male pdr up lorry due to my iron teeth
another problem is matured but unwilling/or not ready female also can get killed by horny male,if possible hv to seperate the female,cure the injury first then try to comm again(one 19''female pdr die on me this way )

but then again bro tom,your pond no problem lar i can swim inside lor
RELAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #20
TOM32
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
different species no problem,except sakura/tiger etc,a bit slow in food hunting.
so far only one danger to breeder/hobblists if the breeding fgt/pond is small.horny male can/will kill off another horny male if no space to run.this is instinct,i hv two adult male pdr up lorry due to my iron teeth
another problem is matured but unwilling/or not ready female also can get killed by horny male,if possible hv to seperate the female,cure the injury first then try to comm again(one 19''female pdr die on me this way )

but then again bro tom,your pond no problem lar i can swim inside lor

Wow, what you faced are advance problem....most hobbyists have not reach that stage yet...very good info too. Yes i do noticed big alpha horny male chasing all the rays. Female ray's disc got many bites...hehe
some smaller male also get bite [Aqua ray].
I have a 7" sakura not sure was kill by 13" Sakura or pair of 13" PDR in a fgt. Likely by the pair of PDR. Anyway the death is still mystery.
I find ray fishes are very fragile.

Regards