Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 25-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
JadeIceGreen

Default 30cm Cube Community Build

Hey all!

I have this idea floating around for some time now. Who is interested to participate in a 30cm cube community build? The only rule is that your tank will have to be a 30cm cube, but other than that, feel free to use what filters, substrate, fauna and flora you prefer.

I think this community build will stir up some excitement in one of the quietest sub-forum in arofanatics. We will all post our progress under this thread and the more experienced among us can help the less experienced. It will be very relevant sharing as everyone who takes part will be going through the same constraints.

I will talk to my preferred LFS to see if I can get the tanks and accessories at a cheaper rate since this is a community build. I will speak to the mod also. The more people that join, the better it will be. Not only will our stuff be cheaper, but this build thread will be much better.

Feel free to post comments on any more ideas and let's talk about this!
Old 25-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
ZackZhou

count me in
Old 25-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
ZackZhou

think best is there is some prize to excite the ppl around here
preferred all low tech as to safe cost and more ppl can join.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
af2373

i can only join in the fun in May when i settle down in my new hse
convincing my OC is a challenge.....
Old 25-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
patson77

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Hey all!

I have this idea floating around for some time now. Who is interested to participate in a 30cm cube community build? The only rule is that your tank will have to be a 30cm cube, but other than that, feel free to use what filters, substrate, fauna and flora you prefer.

I think this community build will stir up some excitement in one of the quietest sub-forum in arofanatics. We will all post our progress under this thread and the more experienced among us can help the less experienced. It will be very relevant sharing as everyone who takes part will be going through the same constraints.

I will talk to my preferred LFS to see if I can get the tanks and accessories at a cheaper rate since this is a community build. I will speak to the mod also. The more people that join, the better it will be. Not only will our stuff be cheaper, but this build thread will be much better.

Feel free to post comments on any more ideas and let's talk about this!
Bro, I don't actually quite got the idea. wat is it abt actually? wat is community build? pardon me as my england not powerful.
Old 25-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
af2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by patson77 View Post
Bro, I don't actually quite got the idea. wat is it abt actually? wat is community build? pardon me as my england not powerful.
i try to use my inglish to exsiplane

JIG is basically saying, a group of hobbyists start a 30cm tank. the hobbyists will hao lian the progress of their respective tanks it at this sub section. you are free to create any pattern in your own tank. hobbyists will share share info and tips on each other's tanks. the more kiang hobbyists will guide the less kiang hobbyists and all will learn from each other along the way.

hope i got it properly exsiplaned
Old 25-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by af2373 View Post
i try to use my inglish to exsiplane

JIG is basically saying, a group of hobbyists start a 30cm tank. the hobbyists will hao lian the progress of their respective tanks it at this sub section. you are free to create any pattern in your own tank. hobbyists will share share info and tips on each other's tanks. the more kiang hobbyists will guide the less kiang hobbyists and all will learn from each other along the way.

hope i got it properly exsiplaned
Wow, that was really a good explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
think best is there is some prize to excite the ppl around here
preferred all low tech as to safe cost and more ppl can join.
If it is to be a competition, then we need sponsors for prizes and judges. Honestly, I do not have the time to organise a competition.
Also, the bad thing about a competition is that people will tend to 'hide' their scape till submission date. What I am aiming for, is all of us starting around the same time and doing a step by step journal of our scapes. In time to come, this thread can be a one-stop search for 30cm cube scapes! Its a way to bless newcomers into our hobby.

Low tech or high tech, don't want filter also can! Its up to you. Because the equipment are not sponsored, I don't want to set rules as all of us have different financial capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by af2373 View Post
i can only join in the fun in May when i settle down in my new hse
convincing my OC is a challenge.....
Can can. May is not that far. By the time we get organised and the details agreed on, and for me to save up! Earliest will be in mid April. Take your time bro! To convince OC, just say its a competition and if win, got prize. That is what I always do, then the prize is some new filter in which I buy myself after the 'competition' is over. Lol.

30cm cube is relatively cheap and with a volume of about 27 to 30 litres, its feasible for a proper set-up. I know cost is a concern for everyone here so I will try to talk to my LFS and work out a deal. I am in consultation with mod already. I was thinking of using Dennerle's 30cmx30cmx35cm cube to be the official tank, what do you all think? That will be exactly 30 litres, build quality is good also.

Official list of participants.
1. JadeIceGreen
2. ZackZhou
3. af2373
4. patson77
5. EvoZ (can put his name first, he sure join one lah, lol)

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 25-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 25-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
JadeIceGreen

I just remembered that Fireblade already has a cube tank close to 30c, so he can just hop in. For those that has a 25c or similar, don't have to buy a new tank if you don't want to, just hop in! But best is all buy the same tank. I'm eyeing the Dennerle 30c. Good build quality and not that expensive. I will try to make my way to my LFS tomorrow after work and talk to the boss. I will update everyone.

1. JadeIceGreen
2. ZackZhou
3. af2373
4. patson77
6. Fireblade? (head start liao!)
Old 25-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Alvin Koh

Administrator

I can't join but I would like to say that it's a great initiative!
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
I just remembered that Fireblade already has a cube tank close to 30c, so he can just hop in. For those that has a 25c or similar, don't have to buy a new tank if you don't want to, just hop in! But best is all buy the same tank. I'm eyeing the Dennerle 30c. Good build quality and not that expensive. I will try to make my way to my LFS tomorrow after work and talk to the boss. I will update everyone.

1. JadeIceGreen
2. ZackZhou
3. af2373
4. patson77
6. Fireblade? (head start liao!)
i wish to join too.. but i got no space for a new tank leh.. sianz...
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote