Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 13-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsilano View Post
Ranchu originated from Japan and enjoy a Four Season kinda environment. Ranchu in Japan spawn right after Winter....when Spring arrived, ranchu becomes more active and start carrying eggs.

In Singapore, ranchu are more active and tend to start carrying eggs during the cooler months of the year and especially during the monsoon seasons. Ranchu breeding in a Summer year round environment is not ideal and we as hobbyists in Singapore especially with space limitation and continuous warm weather have to improvise and try simulating the breeding conditions as close to the Japanese as possible. That is the reason we try using chiller and other cooling devices to help keep the water cool so that the eggs can be carried to maturity and hatch out in as good a size and as close a size as those fries in the Motherland of Ranchu.

Ranchu eggs are quite hardy and since still egg form...as long as we don't treat them with extremities, will survive and hatch(provided they are fertilized)Since ranchu eggs are not "LIVE" yet, after hatch it is best to wash them under tap water and let the chlorine in the tap water clean the eggs...ideas like this should be shared and made available so that the standard of our breeding can go up.

No chiller and don't want spend money buying one ..maybe space constraint...how about spawning and storing the eggs in the vegetable compartment for 3-4 days and bring them out and slowly immerse in some chilled water and let temp equalise and eggs hatch...possible??...so many ideas and so many skills I pick up along the way...next spawn I do a vege compartment demo to show how to carry eggs to maturity, but please for the good I try to share... start complaining to authorities that I operate a farm in a tiny Hdb flat...only idiots wanna kill those who willingly come forth to share.
thank for sharing.
but once the fries hatch, how long do you intend to keep them in cool water?
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
No78
Dragon

Thumbs up

Thank you Bro Richard .

Always have new thing to learn from you .
No78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
denser
Dragon

thank you for sharing bro!
denser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
AroHong

AFC Member

Richard thanks for sharing. 👍👍👍
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
arotok
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroHong View Post
Richard thanks for sharing. 👍👍👍
Halo bro

When coming back to tvr?
arotok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
kitsilano

AFC Member

Hi All...thanks for the fine compliments...hopefully by sharing, I get inputs to improve myself and also hopefully draw more players to join in the fun and art of ranchu breeding. Take ranchu like landscape painters...many artists who paint are just plain hobbyist painters...they do it because they enjoy painting...to be creative, to relax, to enjoy trying to replicate the landscape being drawn and most important of all...to express themselves through the fine art painting. Not many painters draw and hope that they are the next Picasso and sell their arts...artists do it because they enjoy painting. Ranchu breeders breed because they enjoy breeding and hope to produce something "beautiful" like A Rose amongst all the thorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
thank for sharing.
but once the fries hatch, how long do you intend to keep them in cool water?
If I have aircon room to spare as my breeding room, I will love to keep all the fries in there...the longer the better. Cooler water is less stressful to fries...they eat and eat and grow and water foul at slower rate. If you notice on warmer days, fish water tend to foul faster.

Cooler water also helps the structural formation of the young fries especially the opening up of the tail...too warm water.... fries tail as it gets older will show significant weaknesses.

Since I don't have a spare aircon room for fries and since I use chiller to cool the water, I will keep the fries in chilled water till free swimming...which is roughly 24 hours after hatching. Once free swimming, I will start feeding them brine shrimps and that is the moment I have to be observant because once fries start eating they will excrete waste and furthermore the live brine shrimps will die and foul the water. I usually off the chiller and let the water temperature rises to room temperature and do a 100% water change by transferring the fries into my guppy tubs....if big spawn I might have to open up two guppy tubs to accommodate all the fries. To maintain water coolness, I uses computer fans to blow over the guppy tubs 24 hours a day.

Hope this help answer your query.

Please note I am just a normal Hdb ranchu breeder and what I posted and share are mainly catered to apartment dwellers with limited space, but have a strong urge to learn and challenge oneself in the "Fine art of ranchu breeding"
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote