Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #31
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbird^ View Post
red kelahs need a lot of sunlight and crystal clear water in order to be red..if not, the scales tend to be grayish and dull looking...again, there any a few strains of red kelah from malaysia...those found in kenyir dam are known 2 be much redder than those found in rivers in kelantan..eg : just like chilli and blood red aros..however,both are also red aros..

green kelah is another name for tengas..the chinese likes to call tengas green kelah, where else the local malays call those tengas..both are the same

anyway, aint kelah = mahseer?
Nice to have you here Newbird.
Based on my reading on Tropical fishes in general colouring of fishes are influenced as follows;

70% - Genes
10% - Tanning
10% - Feeding
10% - Water condition

Based on my understanding, the words to be used inter-changeably as follows;
Kelah (Malay) = Mahseer (Hindi)
Tengas (Malay) = Green Kelah (Malay) - another acronym only

Origin
Kelah/Mahseer species are found all the way up north from the Himalayans mountains streams/rivers to the Great Mekong River. Hence this explains why there are so many names (or languages to the common species and spp.) depending on the local country where it is found.

The Legendary name Mahseer is where it all started where anglers hooked almost adult height sizes and hence the name travelled far. Malaysia is known for the beautiful smaller cousin (of India) as we all know - Red Kelah. Red Kelah IMO is a better word to use for Malaysian sp. and Mahseer for India sp.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #32
sebarau
Dragon

these are my 2 kelah. both arrived reddish..but one keep kena bully until getting dark.same size..approx 9" i think.. these are WC from Kuala Koh, Kelantan

bro newbird,
mahseer is common name for the one found in Cauvery, India. they are closely relative. yup with sun light, they will be redder..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #33
Spakase

Quote:
red kelahs need a lot of sunlight and crystal clear water in order to be red..if not, the scales tend to be grayish and dull looking...again, there any a few strains of red kelah from malaysia...those found in kenyir dam are known 2 be much redder than those found in rivers in kelantan..eg : just like chilli and blood red aros..however,both are also red aros..

green kelah is another name for tengas..the chinese likes to call tengas green kelah, where else the local malays call those tengas..both are the same

anyway, aint kelah = mahseer?
Thanks, very helpful information on the Red Kelah. Now I know for sure.

But this green Kelah is actually not a Kelah but a Tengas, from my surfing on Malaysian fishing sites it seems the Tengas is abundant, but Kelah the fishermen choose to release because it is endangered. Based on this information, it seems they are two different species and certainly Kelah is a rare fish but not the Tengas.

Coming to the blue "kelah", is it a Kelah?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #34
Spakase

Quote:
these are my 2 kelah. both arrived reddish..but one keep kena bully until getting dark.same size..approx 9" i think.. these are WC from Kuala Koh, Kelantan
Look like the ones in Seaview, IMO. Most of them have dull coloured scales.
Should have taken pics of the fishes at QH, they are shiny like anything! I took an instant liking to them.....the only thing is the price, haizzzz

Old 03-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #35
sebarau
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
But this green Kelah is actually not a Kelah but a Tengas, from my surfing on Malaysian fishing sites it seems the Tengas is abundant, but Kelah the fishermen choose to release because it is endangered. Based on this information, it seems they are two different species and certainly Kelah is a rare fish but not the Tengas.
both are habittant of mountains river..they need pristine clear and clean water to thrive. The kelah hijau is usually a tengas daun, a smaller sub-species of tengas. tengas can grow up to 5kg ..the biggest kelah that i heard was about 25kg ..caught in kenyir lake many..many many..many moons ago..hehe..to get a deep red kelah usualy 1kg above in size..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #36
newbird^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post

yes..tengas are more common compared to kelahs..tengas can be found at almost every waterfall rapids all over malaysia...

anyway, i would like 2 correct something which i said earlier, come to think of it...a few years back, i;ve seen two very big sized fish which resembles similiarly to a red kelah..size, body shape,shape of finnages...the only difference is that the colour of the scales and finnages are greenish in colour..my question is , are those the real "green kelah"? as far as i know..tengas dont grow that big/huge and are always longish (torpedo) in shape...

regarding blue kelahs, if im not mistaken, theres another species of malaysian blue kelah..i read that they are only found in lower endau rompin (pahang) and are extremely rare...they have a higher body like the red kelahs , blue greenish finnages and does not have the distinctive black lateral lines unlike the north thai blue kelahs..

just sharing what i know...

Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #37
sebarau
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbird^ View Post
yes..tengas are more common compared to kelahs..tengas can be found at almost every waterfall rapids all over malaysia...

anyway, i would like 2 correct something which i said earlier, come to think of it...a few years back, i;ve seen two very big sized fish which resembles similiarly to a red kelah..size, body shape,shape of finnages...the only difference is that the colour of the scales and finnages are greenish in colour..my question is , are those the real "green kelah"? as far as i know..tengas dont grow that big/huge and are always longish (torpedo) in shape...

regarding blue kelahs, if im not mistaken, theres another species of malaysian blue kelah..i read that they are only found in lower endau rompin (pahang) and are extremely rare...they have a higher body like the red kelahs , blue greenish finnages and does not have the distinctive black lateral lines unlike the north thai blue kelahs..

just sharing what i know...
the blue kelah was caught few times in Sg Selangor..one by my friend..we theorized that this is actually a red kelah..but may be due to diet, the surrounding ..they blend in and their scale and finnages turn tu bluish.. turqoise to be exact..heheh Sg selangor is muddy in color..not clear...as per Sg perak..another home for Kelah..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #38
Spakase

Quote:
this I want!
but would be very hard to get!
Got any news do let us know!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #39
Spakase

Quote:
the blue kelah was caught few times in Sg Selangor..one by my friend..we theorized that this is actually a red kelah..but may be due to diet, the surrounding ..they blend in and their scale and finnages turn tu bluish.. turqoise to be exact..heheh Sg selangor is muddy in color..not clear...as per Sg perak..another home for Kelah..
Possible, possible. I don't know if the Golden Mahseer is also similarly connected, or is it a totally different fish?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #40
MilkMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarau View Post

bro newbird,
mahseer is common name for the one found in Cauvery, India. they are closely relative. yup with sun light, they will be redder..

looking at these 2 photos, they do resemble those in seaview. quite tempted to buy a few pieces.

Closed Thread