Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 19-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #51
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
I washed the plants before i add them in, as i heard some had pesticides. i wanted to get rid of any snails too.
Actually doesn't really rinse off the pest and pesticide this way. usually it's like quarantine fish, set in a tank for a few days and do water change.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #52
slapper

Some new photos to share on the development of my "Shrimp Haven"

Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' is a very hardy aquarium plant that is both readily available and easy to grow. H. corymbosa 'Siamensis' is an outstanding plant for mid to background plantings

The Otto originates from southeastern Brazil. It is also known as the Golden Otocinclus, the Dwarf Suckermouth, the Pygmy Suckermouth and the Midget Suckermouth Catfish. The scientific species names for the Otto include Otocinclus affinis and Otocinclus vittatus. The body shape and coloring are similar to a Flying Fox and a Chinese Algae Eater. There is a dark, black mottled band running from its head into its tail fin. Below the banding it is silvery white. Above the banding it is brown in a mottled pattern. Water conditions should be very clean.

Dymax CO2 bubble counter at 1 bubble per 3 secs

Dymax digital thermometer, keeping the temp below 30C

Essential test kits for shrimp tank

Old 20-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #53
slapper

Old 20-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #54
Xmant
Dragon

Very nice setup.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #55
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

The twin fans can make your water temp drop to 25 over deg bro? Very strong fans I supposed?
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #56
Jianyuan
Arofanatic

Nice set up. But going to be troublesome if you want to find shrimps or shrimplets in future haha.
Jianyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #57
slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondpeh View Post
The twin fans can make your water temp drop to 25 over deg bro? Very strong fans I supposed?
That is a spare fan you see. I'm using the Dymax fan on the other side of the tank, perhaps not captured in the photo. This time of the year is ok, but when weather gets hotter, I will turn on the dual fan. On daytime temp is about 26.5.
Old 20-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #58
slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianyuan View Post
Nice set up. But going to be troublesome if you want to find shrimps or shrimplets in future haha.
Shrimps are ok. But shrimplets abit difficult But as long as the plants are able to keep the water clean and calm the shrimps down, i think that's the most impt. Besides, I love having a planted tank, it's very therapeutic don't you think?
Old 20-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #59
slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmant View Post
Very nice setup.
Thank you. It's my first attempt at setting up a 2ft tank. My previous shrimp tank was an IQ5 which I have already decommissioned and finding a buyer
Old 20-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #60
ks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
Shrimps are ok. But shrimplets abit difficult But as long as the plants are able to keep the water clean and calm the shrimps down, i think that's the most impt. Besides, I love having a planted tank, it's very therapeutic don't you think?
bro, nice tank set up... agreed is very therapeutic... is my office small shrimp tank is successful, will hope to have a 2ft shrimp tank at home..