Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 15-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
AlvinLeong
Dragon

Default Why TPL quit E&Y.....

Ernst and Young ‘did not ask me to surrender MP allowance’ – Tin Pei Ling

The allegations that she left her job at her previous company because it required her to surrender her MP allowance are ‘untrue’, MP for MacPherson ward Ms Tin Pei Ling has said.

Ms Tin was responding to questions from The Online Citizen regarding an article published on socio-political blog Temasek Revealed on Nov 8. (‘The real reason TPL became full time MP’).

According to the article, a human resource policy in Ernst & Young – Ms Tin’s previous place of employment – stipulated that that if any of its employees were to earn an allowance or income from any other source, they would have to surrender this amount to the HR department. It also wrote that the 3 other audit companies such as PwC, , Deloitte Touch Tohmatsu also practice the same policy.

The article estimated Ms Tin’s salary as a recently promoted senior associate at Associate at Ernst & Young will be no more than $8000, whereas as an MP she earns $16000. Thus, if she did not resign from Ernst & Young, “she would have to surrender this $16000 (which is more than 2 times the salary she earns at Ernst & Young) to the company’s HR department and they would donate it to a charity of her choosing.” The article concluded:

So you see there Tin Pei Ling’s reason for resigning is not so noble after all. She just wants to make more money as an MP, which she cannot do if she were to remain at Ernst & Young.

In an email response to TOC’s queries, Ms Tin wrote:

The rumour on TR is not true. After I was elected and still with EY, the firm did not ask me to surrender any MP allowance. Working as a business consultant offered many learning opportunities and was a meaningful experience, but I decided to resign from the firm to focus on my responsibilities in MacPherson and Marine Parade GRC. I explained this in an earlier FB note. What I wrote remains true and I continue to stand by that.

TOC has also written to Ernst and Young regarding the alleged human resource policy. We have yet to receive a reply.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/...-tin-pei-ling/

http://temasekrevealed.blogspot.com/...l-time-mp.html
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
stargazer
Dragon

Aiyoh...give her some time to prove herself lah. Being hammered before elections till now

She may be young. Her husband is close aide of LHL. But fact is she should be a capable lady too. At her age earning close to $ 8K is a lot better than many ppl liao

P.S Btw, need to state here i not related to her hor!
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
satan_gal
Dragon

Surrender or declare?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
jwhtan
Barney

I really dun see why the electorate must give TPL a chance, or for that matter any other aspiring Member of Parliament. Doesn't matter whether it is PAP or opposition.

U want to be elected. U stand for election. Then U must be someone who has " been there, done that ". A leader. A representative of the people. Not a novice ..... not someone who is there to learn. U learn your ways in your working life. U hv some achievements. And then U stand for election as the people's representative. Not the other way round.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

I see the report in TR as correct becos it is stated in E&Y's human resource policy. There is no necessity for any E&Y's manager or director to tell her to surrender her MP's pay to the company. So I dun see why she needs to clarify TR's report.......
dave6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
ray2828
Dragon

Anyone who work for the big four audit firm can confirm the policy of alternate income source.

The interesting question is why should she be a hypocrite and state no one ask her to surrender the allowances and she is "sacrificing" for her ward. I would not blame her if she is upfront about it. After all, its an bread and butter issue, we can all understand why she resign.
ray2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
byfun
Arofanatic

TPL she smart. Although no people in E&Y ask her to surrender her MP allowance according to HR policy (give PAP face) but definitely this set a precedent if no action is taken by HR.

Employee in E&Y will start to question the HR practising double standard. Sooner or later HR will also come under pressure to ask her to surrender her MP allowance.

So instead of waiting for HR to ask her to surrender her MP allowance. She strike first and say she quit and be full time MP. Like this it look good on her and save future trouble for herself.

1 stone kill 2 bird leh.
byfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
globalcookie
Dragon

Whatever TPL does, pple will shoot. She has done a lot of damage to herself around the GE period and this stigma will stay with her for a very long time in her political career.

Anyway, what is a Senior Associate position in E&Y? She quit, be an MP for awhile, some listed companies will invite her to the board of directors. I see it as, being a Snr Associate may hamper the 'promotion' to a director.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
FireSpitter
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Anyway, what is a Senior Associate position in E&Y? She quit, be an MP for awhile, some listed companies will invite her to the board of directors. I see it as, being a Snr Associate may hamper the 'promotion' to a director.
By being so highly praised and morally supported by GCT (During the GE) and possibly by other white clothes members, she already has a strong footing in anything she wants to do, or wants to get into. It is only the people's hearts that she has not won. From the look of it, it would be mission impossible.
FireSpitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Spakase

Haha, even little children can repeat; "I don know what to say", and stamp their little feet, bless the children!