Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 29-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
M&M
Arofanatic

Default Converting a 3ft tank to guppy tank

Hi guys/gals,

I have a spare 3ft tank which my daughter had been asking me to let her keep guppy in it.

I need to check with you guys on some items as I had never rear guppy in such a big tank before.

1) Currently this tank is using a OHF system. Will this filter system be too strong for the guppy? I think I will need to use a piece of cloth or sponge to cover the pump inlet so that those smaller size guppy or fries will not be suck in right?

2) For this size tank, will it be ok to keep around 30 guppies?

3) Lastly, do I need to remove all the drift wood from the tank as I see most of the guppy tank shown here do not have drift wood in them?

Thanks alot for the advice.
Will be starting to cycle the tank from tonight.
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
M&M
Arofanatic

Sorry Mod,

just realised that I posted in the article forum. Pls help me move this to the guppy forum. Thanks.
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Clamence
Arofanatic

Depends on what your daughter want out of the hobby. If she wish to see them multiply and watch the babies grow ( very likely) then the driftwood and some dense plants would help. If its just keeping male guppies for show, then its okay to have a bare tank. Fries get eaten up easily in bare tanks as they are unable to hide. As for the filter, covering tthe inlet with a sponge should do the job. Alternatively, u may choose to use multiple ( because of the size of your tank) spong filters. Just my $0.02

Old 29-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
cartoon
Dragon

Bro,
Ohf inlet, u may use a sponge to cover it. If u afraid the outlet is too strong, u may wanna get an L shape tube to connect n divert most of the current to the surface. Something like the lily pipe. Anyway, u may consider using sponge filter. That's also easy to maintain. As for driftwood, those pics u seen r for breeding or separation tanks not community tank.

Last edited by cartoon; 29-04-2014 at 11:47 PM.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 04:34 AM   #5
TigerLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon View Post
Bro,
Ohf inlet, u may use a sponge to cover it. If u afraid the outlet is too strong, u may wanna get an L shape tube to connect n divert most of the current to the surface. Something like the lily pipe. Anyway, u may consider using sponge filter. That's also easy to maintain. As for driftwood, those pics u seen r for breeding or separation tanks not community tank.
Agree keep with wood