Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #111
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIX View Post
My 1st attempt to share with you guys a video of my humble tank

Sorry...very rookie at this, no music and quite messy, just enjoy!

Thank bro, but imo definitely not as solid as yrs and other bros here. I'm definitely not worthy of such title here as I'm just a big fan of PBB since years back when I saw them in my jap mag
Finally the whole collection! Very well-fed indeed! Still on the growth pellets and algae wafers? All of them very round! Especially the gars!

The Japs definitely have a way into our hearts! I'm continuously astounded by the quality of their fishes and the way they present them. Simply captivating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Red View Post
TFI got lapen from japan ?...
I think from Indo bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
Like washy said, looks like Lapen. AH brought some in sometime back. I'm not sure he got his but in terms of body shape and patterning, it looks very similar. But the colour of his batch was browner, maybe due to substrate, hard to tell with bichirs until they settle down.
Agreed bro. To be honest, how do we define 'quality' when talking about bichirs? What are defining factors of quality? I think it lies solely on personal preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
It is suppose to be a captive breed dabola, from Indonesian farm, but is slightly different from aquahobby batch of lapen. I was offered 2 sb dabola from my contact too, but someone get to it before me. I have seen those at tfi, if compared to aquahobby batch, they are way far off in terms of quality.
Bro, your kangtao still very good after all these years ah!! Thumbs up!
Old 30-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #112
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
Finally the whole collection! Very well-fed indeed! Still on the growth pellets and algae wafers? All of them very round! Especially the gars!

The Japs definitely have a way into our hearts! I'm continuously astounded by the quality of their fishes and the way they present them. Simply captivating!
Thanks Bro, yup, still on the growth pellets but have added mp to their nightly snack
Must really kudos the Japs, too hardcore! Inspiring!
Old 30-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #113
G2Red
Dragon

Quote:
It is suppose to be a captive breed dabola, from Indonesian farm, but is slightly different from aquahobby batch of lapen. I was offered 2 sb dabola from my contact too, but someone get to it before me. I have seen those at tfi, if compared to aquahobby batch, they are way far off in terms of quality.
I see...Thk u for the info...
Old 30-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #114
Nidd

Quote:
Hmmm, if it was indeed CB dabola, it is very interesting indeed. If dabola sp was a natural hybrid, imo they would most likely be sterile base on the other bichir hybrids. If they able to be breed it could mean they are not a natural hybrid but another species. Anyone any thoughts, seems like a interesting topic. I do miss those days when most post abt bichirs was abt learning more abt them as very few of us could actually own any then. Kolibas and kolontons were only pictures and info of a PBB in sighting would make almost everyone in the bichir thread to go down and take a look in person. I learned the most during those days.

But if I am honest. The striping looks closer to a Lapen then a dabola. But then again it's still just a tiny guy, I have nv seen a young dabola before. Really curious how it will turn out as it grows. Thanks for sharing.

Old 30-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #115
ZhenXiang
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
Hmmm, if it was indeed CB dabola, it is very interesting indeed. If dabola sp was a natural hybrid, imo they would most likely be sterile base on the other bichir hybrids. If they able to be breed it could mean they are not a natural hybrid but another species. Anyone any thoughts, seems like a interesting topic. I do miss those days when most post abt bichirs was abt learning more abt them as very few of us could actually own any then. Kolibas and kolontons were only pictures and info of a PBB in sighting would make almost everyone in the bichir thread to go down and take a look in person. I learned the most during those days.

But if I am honest. The striping looks closer to a Lapen then a dabola. But then again it's still just a tiny guy, I have nv seen a young dabola before. Really curious how it will turn out as it grows. Thanks for sharing.
Those were the days where next thread was created every few days.
I do agree with you that it looks more towards a lapen.

Out of the 3 wc dabola that I kept,none actually display such strong green coloration as shown in bro kohaku's picture, infact, mine actually looks similar to an endlicheri with racing stripes on the forehead and body.

It's still a very young fish, perhaps have to wait for a little while before we can compare.
Just my own personal opinion based on my short bichir experience.
Old 30-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #116
chowmingen
Arofanatic

ya lor.. those were the days. haha
Old 30-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #117
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Thanks bro, you have solid bichirs too!! Now the trend is Video, kekeke...

Thanks bro, a very common mistake in the hobby...no self control..
Bro, never show us your new 23 inches baby?
Old 30-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #118
TRIX
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Bro, never show us your new 23 inches baby?
Bro, it is just a very normal looking pbb, pics can't reveal it's UP size, lol
Old 30-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #119
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Bro, it is just a very normal looking pbb, pics can't reveal it's UP size, lol
Yeah, pics and vid cant see true size

One enquiry, is the finlet count so impt, if a pbb hv less than 17 and fr same batch/river and look exactly like a pbb?
Old 30-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #120
Luc
Senior Dragon

Bro, also the number of finlets could have increased as the bichir grow in length and tail portion breaks away and became independent finlet?
Closed Thread