Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 01-08-2005, 01:39 AM   #1
cci[RR]us

Question Do you think my clowns are paired?

For more pictures, see my gallery here.

I have this bigger maroon clown for a month, and I find it ridiculously mild-tempered. It never disturb any of my damsels or firefish in my tank previously. When I got near the tank, the big girl will dart behind the LRs while everyone just stood there as if nothing has happend.

So, I thought, why don't I try my luck and introduce a male maroon? Hopefully the big girl will not treat the smaller male as an aggressor, then they can mate.

I disturbed the tank by moving the LRs around, and put in a big new anemone. This is to make sure that she forgets her "territory", and not treat the new guy as an intruder. Then I put the smaller, male maroon in. She was still hiding behind some LRs. Lastly, I put in the anemone. The new maroon roamed around while the big girl is still hiding there. Then after 15 minutes, she came out and met the new guy. They starred at each other, "whispered" at each other's gills, and swam away. No fighting! Yeah!

I left them alone as I went out for dinner. When I came home late at night, I found them already sleeping together, sharing the same anemone.

From the looks of it, I suppose they won't be fighting. I have heard many stories about the difficulty of keeping 2 maroon clowns, or even a maroon clown with other fishes, as the maroon is highly territorial and aggressive. It seems that I am lucky to get a gentle maroon clown!

What do you think?

My plan is to get them to mate. I have removed all other fishes that may disrupt their mating ambience, except a pair of firefish (a.k.a. fire gobies) as I like them a lot.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
mansiz

Yes, high chances that they are paired, you are lucky bro. Haha. And your anemone is nice.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
cci[RR]us

My clowns are not fighting, but they do not seem to be swimming together like a couple. Ocassionally I do see them giving "love bites" at each other's "cheek". I'll see how things go, hopefully love between them can grow and soon, bear fruits of their love.

However, my anemone has passed on. It being a sebae is considered to be difficult to handle, and I shouldn't have gotten it in the first place I'll get an easy-to-handle BTA next. So far BTAs do well in my tank.