Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 27-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
rahl

Default Light question

Hey guys, question from a newbie. My two lights (39W tube) have just died together and I am wondering to either replace them or get a overhanging lamp.

My tank is semi-planted with mostly undemanding plants like nanas and java ferns. It's 4 ft (4x1.5x2) with an assortment of small cichlids and barbs.

The thing is I am unsure if the light set itself is spoilt or just the tubes. I don't want to get the replacements and find that they still don't work.

Any recommendations for overhanging lamp?

Many thanks!
Old 27-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
ben loh
Arofanatic

bro, is ur light FL or T5.... if FL light then it maybe light tube spoilt.... or another way is bring ur lightset to fish shop n ask them to test for u... at least u will know on the spot tat which is faulty......
ben loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
rahl

ah, will the FLS do it? what's T5? i think it's FL.

cheers
Old 27-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
3enson

T5 is a type of light tube bro.
Old 28-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahl View Post
Hey guys, question from a newbie. My two lights (39W tube) have just died together and I am wondering to either replace them or get a overhanging lamp.

My tank is semi-planted with mostly undemanding plants like nanas and java ferns. It's 4 ft (4x1.5x2) with an assortment of small cichlids and barbs.

The thing is I am unsure if the light set itself is spoilt or just the tubes. I don't want to get the replacements and find that they still don't work.

Any recommendations for overhanging lamp?

Many thanks!

You might want to get a 50 cents starter to test. Normally the starter will give way first,
Old 28-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
rahl

Thanks bro.

Found out the lights are T5 (it was a second-hand tank so I didn't buy the lights).
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
rahl

Hi guys again, need your advice. Quite confirmed my light set is spoilt as I bought two new tubes but they still don't work.

How should I replace them? The tank is 2nd hand bought from a bro here and is rounded at one end so I am not sure a standard set will be able to fit?

Will an overhanging lamp work? The tank is 4x1.2x2. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahl View Post
Hi guys again, need your advice. Quite confirmed my light set is spoilt as I bought two new tubes but they still don't work.

How should I replace them? The tank is 2nd hand bought from a bro here and is rounded at one end so I am not sure a standard set will be able to fit?

Will an overhanging lamp work? The tank is 4x1.2x2. Thanks.

can you show us a pic of your tank?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

if your lightset do not come with starter, then it should be electronic ballast. then maybe replacing the ballast will help, but at times the ballast that come with the lightset is quite difficult to find. if there is a starter, then maybe try changing the starter. will advice you change the ballast if you are good in diy.
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
rahl

Thanks for the advice bros. I had gone ahead and bought a simple light set.