Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #511
Clamence
Arofanatic

Heard the blue eye one is expensive!
Clamence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #512
Soulmates
Arofanatic

Guys, is it normal that my WTFs croaks a few times a day? I heard it is males' croaking, right?

And they also love to attention seek, especially when I remove everything and clean their tank every day, they will start to jump towards me and even up to the top. Some of them even cling on my hand when I am cleaning and spraying their area.

Also I gathered that they all have individuals' characteristic too! I can tell them apart from how they react. 2 are very outgoing, 1 is a very shy but still willing to hop towards me, and 2 others are mad about jumping as high as they could!

This is how they says hi!

This is the top view of my tank.
The frogs seems to love hiding under the wood in the day.

My frogs army of 5
Soulmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #513
bettafantastic
Endangered Dragon

Have seen more frog keepers after the recent batch of tree frogs for sale at many LFS so thought would be great if I could share some of my experience with them. I have stopped keeping them and have not kept them long either. The following information is based on my experience as well as what I have gained from reading online and heard from. Hope this would benefit first time keepers.

Keeping
These frogs are not difficult to keep. There are various setup that can be used to keep them. Bare bottom or with base such as peat moss/ coco peat. Main thing to note is that they require water. A bowl of water that is big enough for them to enter and submerge is good.
These frogs are strong and good jumpers. Ensure a tight cover as they escape easily.

Picture from a friend. Thanks!

Food/ Feeding
They can be fed a variety of food, live or pellets. I usually feed them mealworms, superworms, crickets, grasshoppers.
Depending on your setup, you might want to hand feed them to prevent the prey from escaping or drowning in the water. For mealworm and superworm, a food dish can be used.
It is still best to allow them to hunt.

Gender Identification
The most accurate way to differentiate male from females is the presence of the "brown spot" located in the front feet. Males have the spot while females don't. These frogs can only be sexed when matured, usually about 3 inches.
I notice males contain dark coloured throats which I believe is due to long periods of croaking. The skin under the throat is also looser.
"Brown spot" circled in red.

Throat starting to darken.

Sound
This is probably one of the reason that made some hesitate to keep these frogs. I keep 5 frogs and all are male. Their croaking is loud and continuous. They can croak at any time of the day. 3am or 6pm, they still croak. My frogs would croak everyday and their croaking is usually triggered by sounds such as the hair dryer or when the toilet bowl is flushed. I have not kept a female tree frog but from what I've read and heard, they croak lesser/ softer which is likely since males croak to attract the females.
Male frog croaking

Smell
The frogs don't smell but their setup might, depending on ventilation, type of setup and how often it is cleaned. I keep mine in a bare bottom tank and it is cleaned once a week. Tank size is 2ft(l) x 1ft(b) x 1.5ft(h).

Shedding
These frogs shed their skin, so you need not be alarmed when you see the shedding behaviour. This also means that they are growing.
Picture of frog shedding its skin

Calcium
Personally I do not dust calcium on their food although it might be recommended to do so. Reason why is because the frogs that I obtained from the seller did not dust their food as well. The frogs were able to grow up healthy and shed normally. If you wish to dust their food with calcium powder, a popular brand which most have pointed out is repashy.

Misting
I usually mist my frogs 1-2 times a day. I notice they become more active after misting.

Colour
These frogs may appear green or brown. I notice that the environment plays a part. When I had more driftwood, most turned brown. Hence I started adding plants such as money plant as well as a green background to keep them green.

Thanks for reading and do correct me if I'm wrong, still learning about them.
Hope the above information is useful.
Happy frog keeping!
Cheers!

Last edited by bettafantastic; 04-10-2013 at 10:52 PM.
bettafantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #514
silentous
Arofanatic

Awesome and informative writeup bettafantastic!!

I would like to share a few more points:

-Not so use small pebbles/gravel which the frog may swallow while chasing for preys, as it may cause impaction for them.

-Always do spot cleaning, use a tong to get rid of their poo, dont let it accumulate, else once red leg happens, the entire tank will be affected.

-I would also like to share my experience of having a bare bottom, its terrible man, i remember changing my tank to bare bottom for a day, the next day when i go and check on my frogs, the pee smell is dam strong! Totally buay ta han! Would remember people to use substrate which can absorb their pee, and change them regularly
silentous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #515
Zacquir
Arofanatic

Thanks for the sharing, All.

A very comprehensive write up you have there bro Bettafantastic. Can put up as a pdf article. Im glad theres a thread dedicated to wtf. Theyre really a beautiful specie. Love the intense green.

I recently just purchased a baby wtf myself. Been contemplating so hard whether to get an adult or the baby cute lil bite size. Finally decided on the bite size. They're just so cute. I only got 1 piece though. Pinheads were outta stock when i purchased them. So resorted to small mealworms. Im hoping it did eat the mealworms. 2 escaped the food tray and started climbing up my driftwood.

Nyway.. here are some pics of my lil wtf..
3 days old under my care.

Noticed that underneath the legs seem pretty red. Is it normal?

Btw, does anyone happen to know which lfs has a good stock of pinhead crickets, those ant size?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
Zacquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #516
fhan
Arofanatic

Bro zacquir, yours is nice,

You can get baby cricket from c328 or petmart, call first before go there,

Kindly ask if yours considered as blue eyed type morph? Anyone?

Thnks
fhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #517
fhan
Arofanatic

Anyway yours leg colour is normal for baby frog, still thin skin.
fhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #518
Zacquir
Arofanatic

Thanks Bro fhan..
Thats a relief to hear. That its legs are fine. Aite. Shall drop by c328 or petmart tmr depending on which has stocks.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #519
Zacquir
Arofanatic

Im not quite sure if mine falls under the blue eye morph category. Interesting to know theres the blue eye variation though. Would love to see some pics od it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #520
Soulmates
Arofanatic

The blue thing seems to be the eyelids, not the eyes.

But wow bro, you very daring hahah. I also no-balls buy those super small!
Soulmates is offline   Reply With Quote