Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 26-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #1
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Default Channa Newbie

Hi everyone,

I went window shopping (or that's what I originally intended) at my nearby LFS whilst waiting to pick up my OC from the MRT station earlier today and just happened to chance upon a seasonal Channa species; the Channa sp. "Fire and Ice".

So I've never really had the luxury of keeping any Channa species before and was wondering what some of the best practices are with regards to them, or specifically, the "Fire and Ice" dwarf species. Besides having loads of plants (which I'll source for tomorrow), dim lighting and a cover for the tank; what else should I note for an optimal, biotope-ish setup? I understand from online resources that temperature should be between 22-28 degrees (and I'm on the higher end of that spectrum, which I hope still suffices) and that pH should hover between 6-7.5 (meaning I could probably do with a ketapang leaf in the tank). Anything else? What about dietary needs? So far, I've fed it with SW bought from the LFS and it has taken it with gusto.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
lwm66
Dragon

Hi TS
Seeing your Fire ice channa, remind the four which I bought from C328 last year.

I also regretted for not doing my homework. They should be not difficult to keep but tend to be sensitive to temperature. Thats my mistake, I kept them in a tank directly in the morning sun........ one by one they died....... I didnt know why at first....... Since they are usually WC, they came from cooler river stream.

Sigh!!!!! These channa are really different from the rainbow and pluro (cant remember full name)

Thanks for sharing
lwm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
patclay
Dragon

Nice piece..
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad I looked through all the bags on the floor. Sometimes amongst all the 50 x cardinal tetras, there's a bag with a gem inside.

I'm not sure if I should buy a mini chiller for the Channa though. As I understand, the AL-30 is suitable for my ADA-45P (yes, it's slightly smaller than recommended, even for a dwarf species) but it's basically just a TEM cooler and not a real chiller that uses refrigerants. So much of its effectiveness still hinges on the ambient temperature. So then, it's actually only marginally better than a fan over the top, which incidentally is what I'm doing now. Hopefully it's good enough.

What I'm wondering is whether I need to simulate the seasonal weather like what bleheri needs. Or is it sufficient just to keep the temperature constant at around 26-28..?

Old 27-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
mictok
Dragon

most of these channa are sub tropical fish, the colour will be intense at low temperature of 18-22, however it live well at a temperature of 24-28 degree air con environment also.
My personal favourite is Cobra and fire and ice but never have the setting of providing a chiller for it.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Yeah. Unfortunately, the LFS just had to have the Fire and Ice instead of a Gachua/Bakenensis, which are tropical. Haha. I'm a sucker for uncommon species..

Old 27-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
mictok
Dragon

I kept Cobra at 28 degree, grow well but dull colour and clamp fin most of the time, see also sad.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Updates..

Old 09-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

https://youtu.be/ijeBSnkP6Bs