Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Closed Thread

Old 19-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #41
Redzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
I'm not a very chim person but this is what I do and believe.

Heavy mechincal filtration (thick layer of wool) before hitting the biological filter media in filter system. Flowrate can be fast but one must remember that the wool may choke and water can't pass through them as good as they are new.

But if flowrate is high and filter wool is not doing the mechincal filtration well enough, dirt will start pushing through and they will all start to choke the media underneath. Fast flowrate work well if the surface of the mechincal filtration is huge. If small chances of clogging is higher.

Just the way I keeping my fishes.
Bro Koji. I agree with u. We do not want to choke our filter system. After reading this thread, i hv the urge to make my sump (last 2nd comp) into a Algae Scrubber as seen in Youtube. May yield positive result in reducing ammonia, nitrite and etc. Will update pics here once my new tank is ready early March.

Old 19-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #42
stoner
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
c. Don't clean at all!!! If the population of heterotrophic bacteria is more than sufficient to breakdown the solid waste, it will attack the sludge too (DO must be high). If you look at a good bakki shower, you will hardly see any sludge or slime.
Hi Atom,

With the concept of Bakki Shower, with a indoor design using "Stack up Planter_boxes" with holes drill a-cross the top 20% for gas exchange.

The planter_boxes size are appox. 7" (w) x 18" (L) x 8" (depth). Say... with a stack of 4 - 5 boxes. How high a water flow would you advise....

Thanks.
Old 22-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #43
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
Hi Atom,

With the concept of Bakki Shower, with a indoor design using "Stack up Planter_boxes" with holes drill a-cross the top 20% for gas exchange.

The planter_boxes size are appox. 7" (w) x 18" (L) x 8" (depth). Say... with a stack of 4 - 5 boxes. How high a water flow would you advise....

Thanks.
Not so good but better than nothing. The basic concept of bakki shower is the enable the water at high oxygen saturation. This is done by showering and splashing of water on the biomedia to mimic the water-fall effect. To achieve it, you will need height ...the higher the better the effect.

Last edited by atom; 25-02-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Old 25-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #44
st11_mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
Hi Atom,

Thanks.
Quote:
Not so good but better than nothing. The basic concept of bakki shower is the achieve water with high oxygen saturation. This is done by showering and splashing of water on the biomedia with mimic the water-fall effect. To achieve it, you will need height ...the higher the better the effect.
yes bro atom is right abt bakki concept and bro stoner do consider abt splahing water surrounding the indoor bakki area

I had similiar bakki but decom after 1 week due to wet area around my setup

Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #45
|JTBC|
Dragon

Quote:
To be continue ...gone fishing!
Any update bro.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #46
|JTBC|
Dragon

Question

Quiz questions. Are the following statements True/False and why?

1. Higher flow rate is good for mechanical filtration - T/F?
2. Lower flow rate is better for bio filtration - T/F?
3. The more/better medias you have, the higher flow rate you can apply - T/F?
4. Insufficient medias with high flow rate will reduce the efficiency of filtration - T/F?
5. Too much medias with lower flow rate is wasting the resources - T/F?
6. Clear water is more related to mechanical filtration hence it doesn't equal to good water - T/F?
7. Good parameters water condition is more related to bio filtration with the aids of mechanical filtration - T/F?

Let's share your view to the above questions.
Bro atom pls kindly assist. TIA.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #47
skier

4x is good. I've been doing that and not having any problems even with cannister filters.

Old 16-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #48
xinssh

Hi can you explain the rationale behind this?

"1 unit increase in pH increases the NH3 about 10 folds of the total ammonia"

Old 16-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #49
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinssh View Post
Hi can you explain the rationale behind this?

"1 unit increase in pH increases the NH3 about 10 folds of the total ammonia"
In simple terms:

The total ammonia n ammonium (NH3) is called total ammonia (NH4). When pH is above 7, there will be more ammonia than ammonium. Below p7, there will be more ammonium than ammonia.

The measure of pH is in logarithm.....base of 10.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #50
surewin1088

Any Bro here can help me,i'm setting a new tank size of 68(l)x34(b)x32(h).
I'm using 2 X Aquabee pump,should i use 2 X 3000l or 2 X 5000l,which is more suitable for my tank size?
Closed Thread