Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
No Problem we share all info as long as you get poison hahahahaha
Zap me for posting I waiting for you to zap me die oh yea me in Aq also.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #32
globalcookie
Dragon

Hahaha... i don't usually give red apples one.... think i cannot give u green until I go around another many many pple..

Anyway, remb the gH issue I was facing and you recommend softwater? Didn't seems to do the trick. I think it is those tiny grey pebbles that is causing it. So even if I use more softwater, it still won't solve e problem. Will be clearing the pebbles out very soon.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Hahaha... i don't usually give red apples one.... think i cannot give u green until I go around another many many pple..

Anyway, remb the gH issue I was facing and you recommend softwater? Didn't seems to do the trick. I think it is those tiny grey pebbles that is causing it. So even if I use more softwater, it still won't solve e problem. Will be clearing the pebbles out very soon.
Oh your pebbles inside? Better eliminate them Liao could be one of the gh contribution. Any other stuff?? Mineral rock? Bro u using distill water?

Nah it okie zap but the reason given is plain stupid frankly over the other side the mod patrol like mad maybe this fella don't like the thing I said to him before or he just a clone. I am fake here? I wonder why haha
Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #34
globalcookie
Dragon

Forget abt such issues/pple. So long as we provide honest comments and advise, we can't please all. And if not for your recommendation, I wouldn't even know such a product as software.

I will monitor after clearing most of those pebbles. See if softwater can reduce the gH to abt 4-6 region. Just cleared a about 40% of these tiny pebbles last night. Will clear more this wkend. Got to buy more quartz later, and wash it before use.

I don't think there are other things that attributed to the high gH. No rocks. Quartz shd be neutral. I even clear off ceramic rings, now fully BioHome and ehiem media.
Old 14-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
globalcookie
Dragon

I have cleared about 50% of those small pebbles. Will continue removing more of it. Hope to clear off as much as I can. I am not very certain the pebbles was the cause of high gH. Will only do measurement after I cleared abt 70-80% of e pebbles.

As a bro shared, it may or may not be the pebbles alone. Many possibility afterall. Ok here is what I am gg to do and will come back and update in time to come.

Am gg to prepare a few containers (using aged water) and place in the items from the tank as follows:
- ceramic rings
- black quartz
- grey tiny pebbles
- Biohome+
- aged water
Am going to prep and set these aside for about 3 days before taking measurement (gH and pH).
Old 14-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
avex30

Looking forward to the test result bro.
Old 19-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
globalcookie
Dragon

The different items were soak in aged water for 5 days. All the items were of similar quantity (50g) and similar water volume (same height in container).

Item | TDS | gH | pH
Quartz | 107 | 7 | 7
Pebbles (mini) | 122 | 7 | 7.5
Bio Home + | 177 | 5 | 8
Ceramic Ring | 142 | 10 | 7
Aged Water | 53 | 5 | 7

The findings are purely from my own tank situation. It doesn't represent all items bearing the same result.

It appears,
- Quartz is the most neutral among all.
- Pebbles affects TDS but doesn't affect gH and minimally affecting pH)
- Bio Home+ caused high TDS, but doesn't affect gH. Cause high pH.
- Ceramic Ring isn't as friendly either. High TDS and gH. Neutral towards pH

From the above findings, I guess I will drop Ceramic Ring from my filters. Will also clear off Pebbles. BioHome+ wise, I may leave it, since it is gH that I am concern about.

The CRS in the tank (that I took the items from) are doing fine. I had release 10 CRS (periodically) and only 1 died after more than 1 month thus I don't think it was tank problem.

On the other hand, 1 CRS was pregnant on 25 April 2012 and just released her eggs perhaps on 17 or 18 May (saw shrimplets this morning).

Another 2 female CRS just got pregnant on 17/18 May, after I cleared about 50% pebbles last week.

Lastly, it was the first time pregnancy for all 3 female shrimps.

---------
Btw, anyone done any similar or other test? Please share your findings too, so that everyone can benefit from the info and do their own judgement (or own further test)

Last edited by globalcookie; 19-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 21-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
JeffL
Arofanatic

Quote:
The different items were soak in aged water for 5 days. All the items were of similar quantity (50g) and similar water volume (same height in container).

Item | TDS | gH | pH
Quartz | 107 | 7 | 7
Pebbles (mini) | 122 | 7 | 7.5
Bio Home + | 177 | 5 | 8
Ceramic Ring | 142 | 10 | 7
Aged Water | 53 | 5 | 7

The findings are purely from my own tank situation. It doesn't represent all items bearing the same result.

It appears,
- Quartz is the most neutral among all.
- Pebbles affects TDS but doesn't affect gH and minimally affecting pH)
- Bio Home+ caused high TDS, but doesn't affect gH. Cause high pH.
- Ceramic Ring isn't as friendly either. High TDS and gH. Neutral towards pH

From the above findings, I guess I will drop Ceramic Ring from my filters. Will also clear off Pebbles. BioHome+ wise, I may leave it, since it is gH that I am concern about.

The CRS in the tank (that I took the items from) are doing fine. I had release 10 CRS (periodically) and only 1 died after more than 1 month thus I don't think it was tank problem.

On the other hand, 1 CRS was pregnant on 25 April 2012 and just released her eggs perhaps on 17 or 18 May (saw shrimplets this morning).

Another 2 female CRS just got pregnant on 17/18 May, after I cleared about 50% pebbles last week.

Lastly, it was the first time pregnancy for all 3 female shrimps.

---------
Btw, anyone done any similar or other test? Please share your findings too, so that everyone can benefit from the info and do their own judgement (or own further test)
Bro, so Biohome + really does increase PH. My tank has increasing PH, although it is most likely the soil but I recently added 15 pcs of new Biohome + into my filter left over from another project. Another bro also told me this. Ai yah, shouldn't have added that..
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #39
marctan9

Quote:
I still very puzzled leh. But I like e redness, thus gotten it even tho it was e only 1 piece, and it was prepacked type.
Am thinking of keeping cpo in my matured tank,and buying a divider, but where can I get the divider made to measure?
And in a matured tank withsoil and a dw in the middle,is there any way to divide ah?
Old 21-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
Bro, so Biohome + really does increase PH.
Hmmm i don't want to make a sweeping statement abt Bio Home+, but that was my own test on the different mediums, using same measurements (all the mediums were approx 50g, same amount of water).

I use little water, perhaps 150ml water, just to get the maximum effect (since I soak them for only 5 days).

I suspect the attributes of Ceramic Rings, Pebbles and Bio Home+ may have caused higher TDS and an environment that may not suit CRS that well. So removing 2 out of the 3, may have balance the perimeters a little. Since I still need filter medium, I choose Bio Home+ over ceramic ring as it is a better medium for BB.

So if the quantity is small, while water volume is much higher, it may hv minimal effect on the water perimeter afterall.

Anyway, the purpose of that test was to identify which medium was causing problems to the shrimps. Following the removal of ceramic ring and mini pebbles 1+ week ago, shrimps started molting and more females got pregnant (only 1 pregnant previously).

My 'conclusion' was based on the visual/physical developments of the shrimps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctan9 View Post
Am thinking of keeping cpo in my matured tank,and buying a divider, but where can I get the divider made to measure?
And in a matured tank withsoil and a dw in the middle,is there any way to divide ah?
There is a shop in Blk 633 Veerasamy Road (S)200633 that cuts plastic divider. Shop name shd be Yeo Soon Hin Plastic Signcrafts Co. Use those divider holder from LFS. Cost $1.50 a pair. Likely you need 2 pairs. You need to consider these:
- There will be small gap between divider and tank glass. How you gg to cover this? Can use filter sponge but when you do wc, water pressure may push it out. Also CPO may climb over to next section
- How to balance the divider during wc? Pressure from the higher water level side (occurs when you suck water from the other section) may tilt the divider.

U better check the water perimeter requirements for CPO. I believe if you do a search, you can find some info in the forum.

Last edited by globalcookie; 21-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.