Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #51
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
hahaa..
my nana plants still grow very well under room light. (very low tech plants.)

dunno whether congos are plants destroyer or not.. haha.
yeaps my orange congo has java fern in its tank and he does not destroy it but forages it, hovering around the fern to look for any snails and dives in at the sight of one (: very interesting to watch (:
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #52
blondmyth
Dragon

my congo looks bored in its tank. Thinking of adding sand for it. Which sand do all of u use?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #53
foreverfrontosa
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondmyth View Post
my congo looks bored in its tank. Thinking of adding sand for it. Which sand do all of u use?
I use fine riversand.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #54
blondmyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfrontosa View Post
I use fine riversand.
Ive never had sand in any of my tanks at all before. So the powerhead just place it on the sand? do u use a gravel cleaner to clean the sand every now and then or u just leave it as it is without touching it at all?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #55
pinkspid3r
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
regarding this huge puffer n tank size debate..I'm wondering.. what about those keeping huge aro? I read they can also grow big.. but yet many keep them in much smaller tank (as compared to those sizes mentioned for huge puffer tank)
another pt I feel.. is that puffer can maneuver ard much better than those streamline fish.. so perhaps although their movement might appear uncomfortable in a 'smaller' setup, they are actually OK with it? (I'm a firm believer that fishes need lots of swimming space to thrive)

I'm not really that keen on this topic.. (IMO focusing on water & internal parasite mgmt shd be more of our concern)
cos I'm don't really foresee me setting up any huge tank in the near future.. Hahaha..
just posting my thoughts.
haha im sharing my thoughts on the tank size as well =) cant answer on the aros part leh, probably cause puffer will be happy with a more complex environment to be able to search for food etc??

Quote:
Ive never had sand in any of my tanks at all before. So the powerhead just place it on the sand? do u use a gravel cleaner to clean the sand every now and then or u just leave it as it is without touching it at all?
i think any fine sand will do, but of cause those that does not alter ph. best is you can stir the sand bed weekly and suck up the debris, as puffer are messy eater, there might be some leftover food buried in the sand.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #56
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Powerhead keep it a few inches away from the sand bed or else sand will be sucked in cos fine riversand is very light.
I'm not too sure abt other puffers but from my observation, my congos always burrows in here and there and everywhere in the Sandbed so that already does the job of stirring the sand. Thus I just have a good filter and maintain it regularly to ensure good water conditions (:
Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #57
jebus
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
Powerhead keep it a few inches away from the sand bed or else sand will be sucked in cos fine riversand is very light.
agreed,
the problem with fine sand in the tank is that it will wear odd ur impeller's magnetic parts especially quickly.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #58
Surround

i have never use powerhead before in my tank, using SUDO brown sand at the moment, quite good i feel

i just deep gravel the sand once every 2 weeks, i will stir the top layer of the sand and siphon dirty things weekly during WC

Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #59
Surround

by the way are what are the tank mates of your puffer fish?

currently my GSP is living inside my tank with 2 ghost shrimps

its weird, i actually giving it for food, but then it ate the first ghost shrimp i dropped and totally ignore the other 2 shrimps

now they living together for wks, and those shrimps is helping me clear up the mess after my puffer ate

its funny to see how those shrimps steal bloodworms from my puffer

Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #60
shagy382

Thats the communication between aquatic animals which we will never understand..maybe they sign a peace treaty ? lol

Last time my pui pui fahaka also lived peacefully with a few ghost shrimps for a period of time before i got sick of the shrimps inside and removed them myself. This kinda worried me actually because my fahaka used to love ghost shrimps so much that he can easily eat a bag of them..so when he started to 'leave them alone' I got concerned..he was also ignoring the clams and mussels. Only one thing got him excited was crayfish so i bo bian had to start a regime of crayfish meals. I was also neglecting him.

After like 4-5 days of consecutive crayfish den my fahaka seemed more 'energetic' again and also started eating the shrimps again. Bad part was that after that, the fahaka has worms coming out from hes anus probably due to the parasites in the crayfishes. So i had to deworm the fat guy and revert back to clams.

ZZ Thats y the fahaka is a very emotional fish..neglect abit abit den he will throw tantrums & backside face you

Closed Thread