Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #141
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Changed to river sand.
Previously was coral sand from tank substrate : big mistake, the calcium carbonate was dissolving and clouding tank water.

Still can't get the river sand fluidised, will need a container with smaller base.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #142
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
Changed to river sand.
Previously was coral sand from tank substrate : big mistake, the calcium carbonate was dissolving and clouding tank water.

Still can't get the river sand fluidised, will need a container with smaller base.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
If sand can be used as a disposable, I like the idea.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #143
LauLanChu
Dragon

Can try using a small motor head in the container directing the outlet onto the sand. Got to seal the container to prevent sand from escaping.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #144
CZQ
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
There's a limit to how much your mechanical filtration can sift out unless u really go crazy. I tried using 10-30 microns filter socks and still can't prevent mulm / sediment from building up in the biological compartments. And I don't think many ppl want to spend 3 digit figures on filter socks monthly.

Yes seachem does state matrix is better suited for canister, which I also have tried but still find to be lacking. Did a few simple tests with eheim pro3, fluval fx6 and nu-clear canisters, tested each with matrix vs marine pure spheres vs bio home vs azoo etc. Used them fully cycled, on overstocked tank and continuously monitored ammonia levels. Matrix n azoo I got rid of. Don't take my word for it, test it out for yourself. U say we should trust what the companies say, but there're multiple companies targeting one another, each saying different things about their product vs others, and each providing lab tests/ data to say why theirs is superior. So who are u gonna believe in? Jus take a look at amazon or any other online reviews... each and every product will have tons of consumers that are satisfied and others that feel they are cheated. It's not jus applicable to filter media, even stuff like bottled nitrifying bacteria and probiotics, or ammonia binders etc.. the more I do research on specific Brands and case studies, the more I find the line between unbiased conclusive date and sponsored unbrashed results sounding more like marketing to be blurred.

I quit fish keeping for a very Long time. When I made a comeback and visited the nearest and pretty well known lfs and enquired about media, I was more than strongly advised to get azoo 4-in-1... touted as best quality and hottest selling media. Guess how true that was.

Bottom line... if u really want to be sure.. don't judge solely based on paper specifications provided by the sellers themselves... dont rely purely on what others say or have experienced... test test test and then decide. I spent a considerable amount of time testing out various media Types before deciding on two types and invested very heavily in them. And irregardless of what some may claim to experience, I'm more than satisfied with my choices. If I had chosen based on the general consensus say, based on this thread, without testing, I would have been very disappointed.
Try to have good mechanical filtration. From coarse to fine. Now you using marine pure and biohome? I also using this 2 now. Thinking to try matrix in my new tank. Seachem states the names of competitors out. Normally others will use ABC xyz. This is the difference. I believe users experience. Y618 promoting the azoo media right. I have reserve after seeing the brand.
CZQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #145
CZQ
Arofanatic

Quote:
Changed to river sand.

YouTube Video
This is like ecosand system?
Old 16-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #146
arome

Quote:
Changed to river sand.

YouTube Video
Try extending the tube right to the bottom of the sand bed
arome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #147
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZQ View Post
Try to have good mechanical filtration. From coarse to fine. Now you using marine pure and biohome? I also using this 2 now. Thinking to try matrix in my new tank. Seachem states the names of competitors out. Normally others will use ABC xyz. This is the difference. I believe users experience. Y618 promoting the azoo media right. I have reserve after seeing the brand.
i'm already using 200-300 microns filter bags. won't get better mechanical unless i lower the microns but then it clogs WAY too fast for my liking. 300 microns clogs and overflows within 3 days -_-

i'm using marine pure + momotaro for static, k1 + mutag biochips for moving.

it's not just y618 promoting azoo, seaview as well.

as for seachem my personal opinion is their marketing is top notch, huge range of products and very good advertising. won't go as far as to say their products don't work well, but i find there are better alternatives for each specific product. anyway back to the topic of media, i dont find matrix to fare as well as other media when it comes to high bioload vs space constrains.

p.s: my main comm tank is WAY overloaded and i used to feed 3 x a day (cut down to 2x now since fish are mostly mature) so i am very fussy with the media i use. for those low-med bioload tanks.. any media works.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #148
CZQ
Arofanatic

Quote:
i'm already using 200-300 microns filter bags. won't get better mechanical unless i lower the microns but then it clogs WAY too fast for my liking. 300 microns clogs and overflows within 3 days -_-

i'm using marine pure + momotaro for static, k1 + mutag biochips for moving.

it's not just y618 promoting azoo, seaview as well.

as for seachem my personal opinion is their marketing is top notch, huge range of products and very good advertising. won't go as far as to say their products don't work well, but i find there are better alternatives for each specific product. anyway back to the topic of media, i dont find matrix to fare as well as other media when it comes to high bioload vs space constrains.

p.s: my main comm tank is WAY overloaded and i used to feed 3 x a day (cut down to 2x now since fish are mostly mature) so i am very fussy with the media i use. for those low-med bioload tanks.. any media works.
Ic. Those micron bags easily clog due to the good filtration effect. I just use coarse to fine wool. Is momotaro and mutag good? I use k1 if have space. It is nice to look at but the surface area is much lesser than media. I heard Seaview promoting a zoo too. Wondering whether this is good. I just want the best for price and performance. I'm using seachem safe now. Is there another better or similar type? Maybe you can change water more often and more volume or reduce feeding and fishes.
Old 21-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #149
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZQ View Post
Ic. Those micron bags easily clog due to the good filtration effect. I just use coarse to fine wool. Is momotaro and mutag good? I use k1 if have space. It is nice to look at but the surface area is much lesser than media. I heard Seaview promoting a zoo too. Wondering whether this is good. I just want the best for price and performance. I'm using seachem safe now. Is there another better or similar type? Maybe you can change water more often and more volume or reduce feeding and fishes.
momotaro is a very established brand, dont think need to promote it any further but it's best used for bakki showers so it won't be optimal if u just throw it into sump.

mutag is ok.. they boast of extremely high surface area, but i find k1 easier to "move" properly cause mutag sinks and stays at the bottom without proper flow. the moving media reactors are more for low maintainence cause they never get clogged, and supposedly have healthier BB cause only the newer/healthier ones thrive. i like using them before the other static media so by the time any solid waste goes through the mechanical + moving media, it'll be so fine that it wont clog the static media at all. and i have backwash valves to clear the fine mulm at the sump bottom when it builds up.

skip azoo. that's my personal recommendation.

AC wise prime/safe is fine. i prefer AST but everyone will have their own preferred brand so as always.. won't go wrong with whatever works for u.

i used to change 50-85% water every 3 days, now after 2 years of that routine and fish don't grow that much anymore i cut down to 60-80% every 4-5 days. water quality is perfect. well cept for nitrates. if not for the ntirates i could get away with doing wc once a month or less.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #150
CZQ
Arofanatic

Quote:
momotaro is a very established brand, dont think need to promote it any further but it's best used for bakki showers so it won't be optimal if u just throw it into sump.

mutag is ok.. they boast of extremely high surface area, but i find k1 easier to "move" properly cause mutag sinks and stays at the bottom without proper flow. the moving media reactors are more for low maintainence cause they never get clogged, and supposedly have healthier BB cause only the newer/healthier ones thrive. i like using them before the other static media so by the time any solid waste goes through the mechanical + moving media, it'll be so fine that it wont clog the static media at all. and i have backwash valves to clear the fine mulm at the sump bottom when it builds up.

skip azoo. that's my personal recommendation.

AC wise prime/safe is fine. i prefer AST but everyone will have their own preferred brand so as always.. won't go wrong with whatever works for u.

i used to change 50-85% water every 3 days, now after 2 years of that routine and fish don't grow that much anymore i cut down to 60-80% every 4-5 days. water quality is perfect. well cept for nitrates. if not for the ntirates i could get away with doing wc once a month or less.
maybe ohf is suitable for momotaro. i cant find any info of it like surface area. i always have a feeling smaller particle will clog the media as the pore of the media is very small and big particle cant enter it. ast also like quite good. what is the nitrate level before water change? if is not high, once a week is ok.