Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 02:11 AM   #2691
azon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
hi Bro,

I was just thinking about what you said. I find it quite hard to accept the statistic that 80% of the matured male are confirmed useless. I mean rays are not know to be prolific breeders, and with that kind of statistics, especially in the wild where the tiger rays are scattered in the river, my guess will be that the tiger rays would have been extinct or at least be put into the CITES endangered species list by now.

Perhaps, due to our limited knowledge in the area of breeding tiger rays, that we are not able to provide them with a right and condusive environment for them to breed. If we found out what it was, they may just breed as easily as motoros.

Anyway, my opinions are unsubstantiated too. Been toying with the idea for a while now. And this kinda posts a challenge for me. I think I'm going to embark on a tiger ray breeding project, since there aren't many success stories so far. I will most probably be met with alot of difficulties and challenges. So i hope the bros here with more experience will be able to advise me when the need arises. Anyway, I'm into fish exportation and importation. So, I guess I will be importing more Tigers soon.
Jeff.. go your garden and dig a pond loh....

Last edited by azon; 06-10-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:12 AM   #2692
T1KARMANN

Quote:
hi Bro,

I was just thinking about what you said. I find it quite hard to accept the statistic that 80% of the matured male are confirmed useless. I mean rays are not know to be prolific breeders, and with that kind of statistics, especially in the wild where the tiger rays are scattered in the river, my guess will be that the tiger rays would have been extinct or at least be put into the CITES endangered species list by now.

Perhaps, due to our limited knowledge in the area of breeding tiger rays, that we are not able to provide them with a right and condusive environment for them to breed. If we found out what it was, they may just breed as easily as motoros.

Anyway, my opinions are unsubstantiated too. Been toying with the idea for a while now. And this kinda posts a challenge for me. I think I'm going to embark on a tiger ray breeding project, since there aren't many success stories so far. I will most probably be met with alot of difficulties and challenges. So i hope the bros here with more experience will be able to advise me when the need arises. Anyway, I'm into fish exportation and importation. So, I guess I will be importing more Tigers soon.
i dont think its a case of the males being sterile its just a case they are not happy to breed as tiger and flower rays are a little more sensative to water parameters

some even think that flower and tiger rays are the same type of ray just a diffrent color variant

biger rays get big the female i saw was a 40inch disk and had still not bred with a 25inch male the pair had been together for a faily long time

Old 06-10-2006, 04:31 AM   #2693
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
i have only just seen a adult tiger last month in holland which they went to the UAS to pick up

tigers are the biggest ray i have ever seen in real life they told me that when they packed the rays up to ship the polybox was to wide to get throw the door without turnning it slightly on its side

i have also hurd that all rays are now banned from export from brazil

i was also told the same thing about some males being useless which was the main reason that i picked up my 2nd male p14 just in case
hahaha,same thought here,i also kept two male pdr,two male mm,two male pearl just in case.i also selectively choose them from sub-adult stage(organ semi developed,just in case is a rejected male from breeder)
Old 06-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #2694
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
hi Bro,

hi bro,i cant substantiated my data also bec i never bred a single ray yet,however i say what i know or heard just to share among ray fanatics here.btw i not just referring to tiger ray,i am referring to all male ray species in general.personally what bro tikarmann say is quite true, tiger ray and sakura ray are the toughest challenge in breeding them.in singapore at the moment i have not heard of ppl bred tiger/sakura successfully.i think taiwan also handful only.which is why i very curious why we are able to see so many young beautiful tiger around,and their price never move up at all if they are so rare btw i half hearted to try tiger leh,hope u can bring us proud for being the first to success.cheers
Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #2695
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
hi bro,i cant substantiated my data also bec i never bred a single ray yet,however i say what i know or heard just to share among ray fanatics here.btw i not just referring to tiger ray,i am referring to all male ray species in general.personally what bro tikarmann say is quite true, tiger ray and sakura ray are the toughest challenge in breeding them.in singapore at the moment i have not heard of ppl bred tiger/sakura successfully.i think taiwan also handful only.which is why i very curious why we are able to see so many young beautiful tiger around,and their price never move up at all if they are so rare btw i half hearted to try tiger leh,hope u can bring us proud for being the first to success.cheers
i think the problem with tiger rays is i have seen a 20inch disk male with no open mature claspers

motoro seam to develop caspers at as small as 7-8inch even a male p14 i have now that 9inch has full open redy to breed claspers

i have only ever read of a zoo in the US that has bred tigers their may be others but im not sure if their are records

Old 06-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #2696
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
i think the problem with tiger rays is i have seen a 20inch disk male with no open mature claspers

motoro seam to develop caspers at as small as 7-8inch even a male p14 i have now that 9inch has full open redy to breed claspers

i have only ever read of a zoo in the US that has bred tigers their may be others but im not sure if their are records
generally i think those more agressive ray are easier to breed.if i were to list them accordingly to aggressiveness excluding small eyes rays would be starry night,pearl,motoro,pdr/henlei.....others..........sakura,lastly the tiger.also being aggressive they normally are easier to maintain in terms of food and water parameters.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #2697
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydragon View Post
i'm not suure if this is true or not... but the manager at my lfs.. said all stringrays from brazil are banned now?...........
alamak, dont like that leh,always hv this kind of news.bro dont believe to much into these kind of 'banned' thing bec sometime is just gimmick to ram up profit margin
Old 06-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #2698
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Yup that's what I heard too. So in the future, we would expect more captive bred rays to be coming from Taiwan, Thailand and Germany. And I reckon the price will only be heading in one direction in the short term future. Up!
so far HEARD only right?anybody can confirm out there??
Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #2699
Tay
Dragon

Quote:

I had asked the thai why they dont want to breed tiger. The reason is wat Bro Tikarmann said, u dont even see an open mature claspers for a 20 inch tiger. Which mean U have to keep feeding it until........ dunno when??? How to recoup ur investment.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #2700
fishbolah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
so far HEARD only right?anybody can confirm out there??
bro, sad to disappoint you but it's true. based on internet research, IBAMA (some brazillian fish authority) has banned the export of certain types of fish.

the PDR and Pearl are amongst some of the banned ones.

not all rays are banned though, but there is a quota for exporting some of them (motoro limited to 10,000 pieces...don't know whether the figure is annual or per quarter)

can any fish importer/exporter confirm this?

but anyway, if the price is right, am sure there's always a willing seller and buyer (STs also ban right...but still so many around)

Closed Thread