Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #51
amiidae

Basic question again.

Why WC 20%, why 30%, why 80%. Why not WC 100% ?

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #52
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

If the aged water has exactly the same consistent important readings, even 100% wc is not an issue, isn't it? However, that's more often than not an impossibility. As such, its usually more prudent to make small wc to minimize changes to the water that potentially might shock the fish.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #53
amiidae

Yup... few simple basic parts.

Sudden changed in water parameters such as temp, pH etc.

AC cant cope or work as fast to neutralize / bind those chemicals.

Eg. I do know some guys will only do WC at nite due to cooler water temp fm the tap vs mid day.

Some will aged water for tank housing their sensitive fishes.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #54
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
Basic question again.

I will WC 100% if I could..
But needs to transfer fishes out.
Discus keepers typically do just about a 100% WC whereby the discus are left on their sides flapping away while reaching near 100% WC... Ok. Maybe 95% WC?
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #55
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
Basic question again.

coz 100% WC means u need to leave the fish stranded without water, or u'll need to remove the fish just for WC

on a more serious note, i have brought fish home before and put them straight into a new tank with 100% tapwater (treated with AC), and just using seeded media. no issues whatsoever. key is water parameters... whether the difference in temp/ph/salinity etc would shock n kill the fish, the difference in whether your biological filtration or AC can cope with the ammonia released when chloramine is broken down etc.

and as for y not huge water changes all the time... because it's not always neccessary and less time consuming. that's y my WC ranges from 20-80% depending on my nitrates readings, and the tap water temp/ph, n the time i have available on hand. for instance today i only did a 25% WC, coz tapwater temp was low due to the rain. yet i spent 2 hours topping up that 25%.. while under normal conditions i would have topped up at least 50% or more during that time frame.

i dont deny that doing a 80% WC is more risky than a 20% WC. but if one doesnt know how to manage water even a 20% WC can be fatal.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #56
lionheart
Arofanatic

from past incidents resulting in loss of fishes after wc what i get is that fishes need time to adapt to the changes in the water they are in due to wc...i now greatly reduce the flow of the water i'm refilling in to let my fishes adapt and cope and what makes me wonder is what exactly are the factors that sets ac like ast,prime or safe superior ac over other ac products...?because i've had friends and people recommending me to use ac like ast,microbe-lift extreme and prime along the way saying it's good but now that i recall...they never tell me why it's good,it becomes rather tricky and confusing you see...
lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #57
amiidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
I will WC 100% if I could..
But needs to transfer fishes out.
Discuss keepers typically do just about a 100% WC whereby the discuss are left on their sides flapping away while reaching near 100% WC... Ok. Maybe 95% WC?
I think those discus water was aged or gone thru some sort of pre filter or they dose as they top up... just guessing.

But I think all can agree if direct tap, risk increases as the % of changes increase.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #58
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
from past incidents resulting in loss of fishes after wc what i get is that fishes need time to adapt to the changes in the water they are in due to wc...i now greatly reduce the flow of the water i'm refilling in to let my fishes adapt and cope and what makes me wonder is what exactly are the factors that sets ac like ast,prime or safe superior ac over other ac products...?because i've had friends and people recommending me to use ac like ast,microbe-lift extreme and prime along the way saying it's good but now that i recall...they never tell me why it's good,it becomes rather tricky and confusing you see...
that's what i've been saying.. it's about letting your fish adapt to the changes in the new water added plus how effective is your AC in reacting with the chloramine+ammonia released vs how fast you top up your water during a WC. and to begin with the parameters of new water added vs tank water should be as minimal as possible. irregardless of the brand, i'll never do a 80% or more WC using full blast of tap water.

now as for why one particular brand of AC might be better than another, it is indeed tricky, personally i go by guaging how my fish react when doing larger WCs. if it works for sensitive fish with >50% WCs, then it's good enough for me, irregardless of brand. i wont mention specific brand names to avoid bringing up another heated debate, but my choice to switch from one brand to another, was due to being able to detect ammonia during WC (not total ammonia), meaning that particular brand wasnt binding fast enough with the ammonia released from chloramine during WC.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #59
amiidae

How will you drive to the top under such road condition ?

a) speed as fast as you can and drive near to the edge.

b) slow down and keep away fm the edge as much as possible.

Definitely option b is safer.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #60
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
2 types of BB handle ammonia and nitrites, and u expect those to be 0 because that's the 2 phases of completing the nitrogen cycle before putting in complete livestock. both are aerobic bacteria. whereas the BB that handles nitrates is anaerobic and unless u have a specific and efficient denitrator, most media on the market only can reduce nitrates but not bring it to 0.

usually if a test reading for nitrates shows 0 without a denitrator the first thought that comes to mind is the cycle isnt even complete aka nitrites isnt being converted to nitrates.

and again 0 nitrates isnt even neccesary. 10 20 30 are all fine. personally anything below 100 is fine by me lol. unless u're talking about saltwater reef tanks.
Joshua, I see u hv not forgotten ur chemistry even after a 10 year break ....
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote