Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 28-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
gracy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Due to budget constraint thinking of getting a jebo 838 for my 3ft planted tank. Hope to get some feedback before i commit myself. My main concern is it have to be silent and has self priming features. Sharing of the pros and cons of this model will be much appreciated.
I always believe in paying a price for the quality and brand and durability
Electricity is my main concern since im the one footing the bills Jebo may be cheap, it is China made if im not wrong. But I have never placed faith in China originated products, even the facts of wattage they stated to be low, I doubt it true IMHO.

I go for ehiem, for the product durability, the touch and reliability. Jebo and Atman may be cheap initial, but when the wattage adds in over the months, it kinda balance off. In long run, it becomes more expensive than Ehiem. In long run, spare parts will be a problem for you. Ehiem parts are easily found in the market.

(JEBO) Low retail price + Higher Electricity bill + limited availability of spare parts = (EHEIM) High retail price + Lower Electricity bill + Availability of spare parts

Maybe its better to save bit more money for one better Canister Filter ya

But if you just use one CF to run one tank, maybe the bill wont be so significant la... so its your preference. I have quite fair bit of tanks to run...
gracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
copycat01

Err speaking of electrical bills have any one really calculation how much you save in terms of using JEBO vs EHEIM????

The upfront captial cost for EHEIM is way above JEBO. Are we sure in the long term we can get back the saving in terms of electrical saving??? Same for LED light, everyone is talking about saving in terms of electricity but how much saving are we looking at compare to upfront. Cant see much saving for either 1 or 2 pumps

Just food for thought
Old 29-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
charmaine12

where to get this filter now? And roughly how much?
charmaine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
blu3her0

I think sea view stocks them. Check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blu3her0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
yeo soon chai
Dragon

I don't think it's a good buy although it's very much cheaper but the lifespan is short and you'll have problem getting the spares. most important of all, the design is bad in such that the there's too much space between the trays and canister body which enable the inlet water to bypass thru the side instead of going thru the filter medias. Also they tends to over rated the flow rate. I've got a brand new 828 for the first and also the last time and just using less than a year, the top rubber which connect the top plate to the canister head tear and i can get the spares i want. The worst part is each time i wash the canister, i found that the other than the first tray which got debris, the rest below that are all so clean and i used a small torch to have a look and found that debris actually flow thru the side instead of the centre of the tray. unlike my eheim canisters. Just sharing my bad experience with this canister.
yeo soon chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeo soon chai View Post
I don't think it's a good buy although it's very much cheaper but the lifespan is short and you'll have problem getting the spares. most important of all, the design is bad in such that the there's too much space between the trays and canister body which enable the inlet water to bypass thru the side instead of going thru the filter medias. Also they tends to over rated the flow rate. I've got a brand new 828 for the first and also the last time and just using less than a year, the top rubber which connect the top plate to the canister head tear and i can get the spares i want. The worst part is each time i wash the canister, i found that the other than the first tray which got debris, the rest below that are all so clean and i used a small torch to have a look and found that debris actually flow thru the side instead of the centre of the tray. unlike my eheim canisters. Just sharing my bad experience with this canister.
If according to what Yeo said its true..."flowing from the side", then yes its NOT a good canister. But if its not, then imo getting a cheap canister is good enough for anyone not into fishkeeping seriously. Reason is Eheim is 4~5 times more expensive and no point spending that kind of money. Personally I find it ok to just replace the canister when spoil after 2 yrs? And with the money spent on Eheim, I could replace 4~5 times. Fishkeeping is just a hobby and NOT a life long commitment. Many people tend to stop fishkeeping due to other more important commitments/goals after awhile. It could be a on/off thing. That being said, I also know of people that has been in this hobby for many decades already. In conclusion, buy within your budget and take good care of it and it may last longer.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
quekb
Arofanatic

U can look for second hand ehiem if u can wait. Tried couple of cheaper brands and they serious cannot last. Once they leak , it is gone , buy o ring , change the outlet inlet all same. Cannot determine cause of leak. Some cannister sometimes leak sometimes don't, have phobia turning them off to wash because not sure what will happen next. Have eheim that leaks and change the seal or locks and it will last couple of years more. And last but not least , got resale value. Never seems out of fashion.
quekb is offline   Reply With Quote