Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 05-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
tco
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepala sakit View Post
Sure bo? Put the air strip @ the blind spot, air will lift water upward de wor, latterly will cause a vacuum effect on it way, thus, when bubbling there'll be water movement from bottom up no matter how dense the media. K1 by bubbling is propelling the water movement is 1 typical example wor...
I put the air stone at the gap so yes will help to lift the water upward to other compartment, no issue with this arrangement. I tried with the air stone under the Jap Matt, and caused overflow after some time.
tco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #12
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tco View Post
I put the air stone at the gap so yes will help to lift the water upward to other compartment, no issue with this arrangement. I tried with the air stone under the Jap Matt, and caused overflow after some time.
If u place the air out let juz beneath the media where the water trickle (blind spot) If i'm not wrong it'll help lift the dead water upward, and the rushing water will help flush it.
Imo, over flowing occur when the air is place on the wrong location, incidentally, it'll impede the flow instead.
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 AM   #13
WXTan
Arofanatic

just wondering if there is really a need to aerate the sump.

Correct me if i am wrong, but if there is an airstone in the main tank, it is already helping in the exchange of co2 and oxygen by creating more circulation using the bubbles.

The oxygen gain from the aeration will reach the sump as well to provide for the bacteria so i would think there isnt a strong need to aerate the sump. No doubt the addtional aeration will help but the results might be negligible unless oxygen level can be measured before and after.
WXTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
tommyn

Thought there are certain bb that do not like oxygen? I aerate the sump but for 1 portion only, rest are running for k1.

Just wondering how true that certain bb do not like oxygen and whether to add more airstones
tommyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:27 AM   #15
Tay
Dragon

The main aim for hving air stone in sump is for bb to wk efficiently. Without O2, bb is as as gd as useless even though u may hv the biggest sump in the world.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:32 AM   #16
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyn View Post
Thought there are certain bb that do not like oxygen? I aerate the sump but for 1 portion only, rest are running for k1.

Just wondering how true that certain bb do not like oxygen and whether to add more airstones
It's not about BB's like or doesn't like...It's wat you wanted your sump to be aerobic both or anaerobic capable. Hving a mass media in a sump does not prove any thing unless your're able to utilize the water to flow thru the maximum surface area of the mass in the sump. Otw, to me machiam a saloon car fix with a tractor wheel. Can I fault that it will not move?

Last edited by kepala sakit; 06-05-2015 at 04:44 AM.
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #17
sirwin81
Senior Dragon

hmmm. i have qute a good flowrate in my filter. the surface doesnt look stagnant but i m still having problems with mosquito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Whole idea to prevent mosquito breeding is to prevent stagnant water.
If your sump water movement on the surface is not stagnant it should be fine.
Having the aeration helps to prevent stagnant water surface and also provides O2 to the BB during WC. This point is more so for those with huge tanks and take longer time to do huge WC.
sirwin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #18
AlvinLeong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwin81 View Post
hmmm. i have qute a good flowrate in my filter. the surface doesnt look stagnant but i m still having problems with mosquito.
Most properly not mosquito but Midge fly. They laid eggs at wet/dry area, the wool, partly submerged media....etc. They will mass produce so once you spotted them, got to apply Vermex ASAP to kill their life cycle.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
john ng
Dragon

i was wondering, if even air cannot pass through the jap mat, then wouldnt water find it even more difficult? or if media is packed so tightly together, even air cannot pass through then what chance does water have? i believe KS's point is water helps with the flow of water, either reducing dead spots or improving the flow rate through the media.
john ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
tco
Dragon

Very simple to test, place a Jap Matt under a air stone. Air will form a layer under the Jap matt.
tco is offline   Reply With Quote