Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 14-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
nim75sg

Default RM Kalk Magnetic Stirrer

Finally I managed to lay my hands on the latest from Reef Manics for this piece of equipment for my 1st 6ft community marine tank to prepare for the next "thing" for my OC.

Wouldn't want to hear her complaints why her tank doesn't have this or there

Joe delivered to my place as he is aware that I got to install this before my trip to USA and decided to do a review.

Overall the equipment is well made and workmanship is on-par IMO to foreign made of other vendors but like all products, there are further steps for features improvement.

Below pic show assessories which come with the equipment eg the check valve, manual for the stirrer from Hanna with a euro plug.

The second pic show it assembled but without the magnetic stirrer.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
nim75sg

The heart of this equipment which influenced my decision is the Hanna Magnetic Stirrer which offers the flexible variable speed of stirring the Kalkwasser powder which clogs over a period of usage unless you're using AragaMIGHT.

This Hanna is connected to a timer offering 15 minutes interval of stirring for 6 times over 24 hours to prevent any media concentration at the bottom of the reactor and to provide a even dilution distribution within the reator.

The speed of stirring depends on the variable control located at the front panel.

However with constant stirring will cause "wearing off" the magnetic base and to prevent this, it need a slight modification which won't affects the operation of the stirrer.

Stay tuned on this mod which cause a few dollars.

The pics below show the Hanna Magnetic Stirrer with the check valve and the whole assembly in place occupying a small footprint which is a plus point here.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
nim75sg

Unlike other Stirrer or Mixer which you have to remove the top assembly completely to replace the media, this RM Kalk Magnetic Stirrer offers the ease of replacement or topping up.

Just unscrew the top cap and as shown in the bottom pic, just funnel your media down the reactor. That simple.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
nim75sg

However, in the event, if you desire to clean the inside of the reactor, all you need is to loosen four screws before turning the top assembly cover off the reactor.

Standard airline tubing for connecting to the input and ouput connectors of the reactor whereas in the case:

1) Input of SP3000 Dosing pump from top-up reservoir
2) Output of SP3000 to Input (Right Blue Connector) of Magnetic Stirrer
3) Output of Magnetic Stirrer (Left Blue Connector) to drip counter to Sump
Old 14-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
nim75sg

As mentioned in earlier posting regarding the small mod which I did to prevent wearing off the Reactor base is to add a piece of round glass about 5mm in thickness with a diameter of 88mm.

Without placing this piece of round glass, the base of the reactor will wear off or "thin-off" resulting from the process of constant stirring over time.

Cost of this round piece of 88mm in diameter 5mm thickness is only S$5.

Look closely at the bottom pic and you will see this piece of glass.
Old 14-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
nim75sg

Planning to install it over the weekend and will provide further reviews on this "value for money" product from Reef Manics.
Old 14-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
hotsoup16

Witness the product myself, excellent worksmanship
Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Planning to install it over the weekend and will provide further reviews on this "value for money" product from Reef Manics.
Old 14-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
nim75sg

Yes .. totally agreed with you ..
Old 14-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
monsterz1975

Ken u go cut ur own glass? I got it free from GOH.
Old 14-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
nim75sg

Yes ... made me poorer by $5.

Goh, why ????