Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 27-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

UV can be classified commonly into UVA, UVB and UVC depending on their wavelength.

With UVC having a wavelength of 280 nm–100 nm. UVC is capable of killing parasites depending on the power and flowrate of the UVC unit.

UV can only kill parasites that are free floating.

I don't know about UVS but I think they are the same as UVC. Just that UVC is referring to the UV wavelength instead.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
Nic73
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
if tank running on OHF? can get those internal filter fitted with UVS and place in the tank?

Bro, just like chillers, if no cannister, can just get a powerhead to do the job.
Nic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #23
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™ View Post
UV can be classified commonly into UVA, UVB and UVC depending on their wavelength.

With UVC having a wavelength of 280 nm–100 nm. UVC is capable of killing parasites depending on the power and flowrate of the UVC unit.

UV can only kill parasites that are free floating.

I don't know about UVS but I think they are the same as UVC. Just that UVC is referring to the UV wavelength instead.
UVC and UVS work totally different a UVC is a bulb and a UVS is a tube which allows the water to have much longer and thinner contact with the UV which is why the flow rate is so important

you are right the UV only kills parasites in the free swimming stages but i still feel its a very important took when keeping rays
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
Lester
Arofanatic

Default Ray Bloated & Pelvic Fins Acting Like Legs

Need some advices here.

Although I had encountered many ray sickness and diseases, till now there is this problem that I could not resolve. Ray that looks bloated (upside down bowl) with pelvic fins standing up like legs and tail pointing upward.

The ray shows great difficulty eating and hardly swim around.

By the way it happened due to me accidentally turning off the filter before leaving for overseas assignment and only discovered by my wife after a week. Luckily the ray still survive and feeding. Since then it starts to behave in the manner stated above.

Anyone here has the same experience and know any cure?

Thanks in advance.
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #25
LouisLeow

good expalaination there bro but UVS sure is much more expensive than UVC ?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #26
snowhusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Need some advices here.

Although I had encountered many ray sickness and diseases, till now there is this problem that I could not resolve. Ray that looks bloated (upside down bowl) with pelvic fins standing up like legs and tail pointing upward.

The ray shows great difficulty eating and hardly swim around.

By the way it happened due to me accidentally turning off the filter before leaving for overseas assignment and only discovered by my wife after a week. Luckily the ray still survive and feeding. Since then it starts to behave in the manner stated above.

Anyone here has the same experience and know any cure?

Thanks in advance.
Hi bro, i encounter the same thing as u after i off the filter for abt 3~4hrs due to shifting and after that, it become like what u mention. But mine will still eating like pig and will go around "cupping" others rays...

And for the first few days, he get spooked very easily... For example, when a pc of MP drop on top of him, he will be very panic dashing ard the tank with his tail lifted up... Then i repeated to do 10% WC every day for about a week and take out a few rays which i left only a female for him, he starting to act normal and now almost recovering liao... Not so sensitive as before...
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
Lester
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhusky View Post
Hi bro, i encounter the same thing as u after i off the filter for abt 3~4hrs due to shifting and after that, it become like what u mention. But mine will still eating like pig and will go around "cupping" others rays...

And for the first few days, he get spooked very easily... For example, when a pc of MP drop on top of him, he will be very panic dashing ard the tank with his tail lifted up... Then i repeated to do 10% WC every day for about a week and take out a few rays which i left only a female for him, he starting to act normal and now almost recovering liao... Not so sensitive as before...
Thank you for sharing. My rays survived after a a few water change but unable to recover fully. Anyway I shifted them to another tank before I left for my overseas assignment and my wife just informed me that they look "more normal" now.
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
Nomis
Dragon

Much was raised about Rays sickness and telltale signs.

Unfortunately very few respond as to how to solve these problems that many Ray keepers like us would like to avoid.

One of my pup recently RIP for no apparent reason, the day before eating like nobody business.

She start hovering in mid water alot the next day and died the very same day.

Don't know what causes this?
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
megafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
Hi all,

Since keeping stingrays has been a popular trend lately, maybe it would be good that we could compile a list of its possible tell-tale signs of sickness and cure on them.

These graceful creature will then thrive happily under their owner's care.

Hopefully some seniors can share more info and also on how and whats the best way to cure them.So that more player can come in confidently to enjoy this hobby...

To start with i could list just a few, please correct me if i'm wrong :-

1) "Running Spots" - signs of "blurry" double spot image appear on its usual pattern.(normally on pdrs) Fish will tend to be motionless most of the time.

Possible cause - Environmental stress due to water or even aggression by other stingray/tankmate.

2) " Death Curl " - signs of perimeter disc of stingray begin to curl up.

Possible cause - Wrong water perimeter, major injury, internal infection etc. Rays will also be motionless most time.

3) "Disc burnt" - signs of edge disc being burn, turns white and dead skin appear thereafter.

Possible cause - PH shock due to wrong water perimeter.

4) " Bloody eye" - signs of ray's eye being clogged with red blood vein.Usually difficult to see unless in side view tank.

Possible cause - Environmental Stress lead to sickness.

5) "Sunken head/Boney bottom" - signs of depression between eye/head region of the ray and above tail portion seems thin and boney, protrusion of tail bone visible.

Possible cause - Under nutrition and lack of food/appetite

6) "Chip off Disc" - signs of perimeter disc being chip off and not regular.

Possible cause - Bitten by other rays or fishes. Maybe due to fights or their mating ritual.

7) "Blister and Abrasion" - signs of cuts ,abrasion and blister at underside edge of disc. Usually pinkish or whiteish in colour.

Possible cause - Abrasion or sharp object cuts.

and etc etc ....

As said, i've list some of these possible sickness but need seniors to guide us into how to cure them properly, (with or without medication).

Please correct me or add on if you have any .

Thank you and happy and healthy Ray Keeping.

Simon
thank you bro ,this is very informative.

illness can also be induced by stress from endi and other bottom feeders
Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #30
hyde
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
Much was raised about Rays sickness and telltale signs.

Unfortunately very few respond as to how to solve these problems that many Ray keepers like us would like to avoid.

One of my pup recently RIP for no apparent reason, the day before eating like nobody business.

She start hovering in mid water alot the next day and died the very same day.

Don't know what causes this?
sorry to hear that bro, do u feed feeders? if not might be yr ph problem, sudden change of ph too drastically will cost ph shock, u will see yrray flying and dashing around very aggressively, sign is under disc come out lots of blood veins as they will block the oxygen intake to the rays and eventually leading to extreme stress and breathless till death..
hyde is offline   Reply With Quote