Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Limsteel
Arofanatic

from research, plant needs the red and blue spectrum of the light to photosynthesize. According to Groiler Encyclopedia, "Certain wave lengths of red and blue light are the most effective in photosynthesis".

refer to the science project of this cute gal...

so white light must have the red and and blue component... so the standard off the shelve Light tube will be enough for planted tank.

Used to have a set of light Tri-phorphous meant for planting, they are pinkish that is similar to arcadia tropical tube.
http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.p...n=en&sub=&id=4
Limsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Limsteel
Arofanatic

You can invest in a set low power LED night light... If you want to see your fishes anytime day or night. or DIY a set, it will cost you something near to a set of 2ft light. or just install another set of a small light for viewing only.

24hrs light on is not healthy for your plants, fishes (as mention by many bro) and most important it is not healthy for YOUR pocket... Spending money and yet doing more harm then good is the worst deal.
Limsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Thanks for all the advices guys! Think I will call up Qian Hu and ask them to deliver white tubes instead for my replacement set (they delivered a partially faulty lighting set using pink lights).

However, having read the link provided by Limsteel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limsteel View Post
Used to have a set of light Tri-phorphous meant for planting, they are pinkish that is similar to arcadia tropical tube.
http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.p...n=en&sub=&id=4
Would it be possible that the pink lights that Qian Hu had provided me are made to provide good support for plant growth? Any way I can verify this?

The_Rock,
Ya was a little resistance to using auto timer 'cos afraid I might become lazy with all the automation stuff. But since the timing of switching on/off the lights doesn't tally with my lifestyle, the auto timer is a must now. Should I get it from an electrical shop or an aquarium shop?

Thanks again to all of you who helped~
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
the_r0ck

Any good LFS shop will sell but they tend to not carry too many different types of timers. Go to those home electrical stores, they have a deep assortment of timers available, be it digital or analog. Go through what you like and fits your budget.

Pink lights will still support growth, just that its not as good as normal white lights. If you insist on your pink lights its fine I guess, just that your plants might grow slower though I never used any pink lights before to verify this.

-Calvin
Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
Any good LFS shop will sell but they tend to not carry too many different types of timers. Go to those home electrical stores, they have a deep assortment of timers available, be it digital or analog. Go through what you like and fits your budget.

Pink lights will still support growth, just that its not as good as normal white lights. If you insist on your pink lights its fine I guess, just that your plants might grow slower though I never used any pink lights before to verify this.

-Calvin
Okay thanks for the tips. Will try to replace my lights to white lights.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

10-12 hours a day of photoperiod is essential for plants to grow well. The order of lighting doesn't matter as long as they get to photosynthesis for at least 10-12 hours per day. However, it is your faunas(fish and other livestocks) that will be stressed if your tank is exposed to light 24/7. You need to sleep, so do the faunas/fishes(although they cannot close their eyes).

Last edited by Ah_ZhaN; 11-01-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Here are the current two species I have:
Baby Tears
Dwarf Ambulia
I was recommended by a salesman from Qian Hu to get pink florescence tubes (forgot the reason; less likely to be hit by algae?).
Algae will invade if other plants(like your M.umbrosum aka baby tears) cannot out-compete the nutrients with the algae. The 2 plants you mentioned are both fast grower, thus they need higher lighting, co2 and nutrients intake in order to grow well. Any absence of the above mentioned will only slow down the plants' growth....which will allow algae to invade and flourish instead.
The purpose of using white light will encourage better photosynthesis of plants and thus able to flourish better than using pink light.
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Thanks again for the tips.

Just called Qian Hu and they have agreed to replace our pink lights with white ones tomorrow. They said the salesman who recommended me the lights must have confused with my intentions.

Hope nothing goes wrong this time...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
johnny_fantics

24hrs will it be stressful for the plant?? And for it to operate 24hrs will there be obvious increase in the electricity bill??? Just some thoughts of mine.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #20
greentea13

not sure about stress...but algae sure has more chance to grow